Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Armored Company! Need advice!
Old 02 Mar 2007, 21:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to LoTide Send a message via MSN to LoTide
Default Armored Company! Need advice!

Okeyday...I am making a cadian-style solid Russ Armored Company, and I have a question about the way I plan on setting it up. Here is the general setup:

HQ: Vanquisher
Troop: Russ
Troop: Exterminator/Conquerer

Elitetank ace) Vanquisher
Troop: Russ
Troop: Exterminator/Conquerer.

all that plus doctrines and extra stuffz for about 1500pts.

So, what do you guys think? should I go with that setup? and should I choose the Conq or the Extermie? or both? Or should I just scrap it and re-set it up?

Also, my main opponent is most likely going to be SM and Necrons...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero - 55 BC
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
LoTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2007, 21:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Armored Company! Need advice!

hm.. i would try to get another tank or two in there... you can grab demolishers, bassies, hellhounds, and sentinels without buying more aces. conquerers dont really seem worth it IMO, id rather get the exterminators. exterminators also make good hq/ace tanks with their bs4. in addition, they are cheaper and often not seen as threatening, which may help the survivability of your expensive hq/ace tanks. vanquishers sure are cool tho, and if you want to field one as a fluff choice, thats ok. they are expensive tho, so prepare for them to be top priority for enemy AT.

although.. against all those 3+ saves, id probably go with the ol' reliable battlecannon. fielding armored co. against necrons is... gutsy. remember their infantry guns can glance you! thats bad times for tanks.

oh! one last thing, id take one salamander scout. they're the only fast vehicle of the imperial guard, and good for a last-minute obj/table quarter grab, or getting in a side shot on enemy armor.

good luck!

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Tauroc/Si..._berserker.gif
HailTheRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2007, 21:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

You need more tanks. In 1500 pts, most armies have enough AT to wipe out a third of your army in the first turn.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2007, 23:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Aaargh! It's like holding back the tide, for every one that you manage to convince that Battalion is the best, another jumps in!

...that said, get an Armored Battalion. They're much more effective.

And to answer your question, you'll need to get more tanks. Get some stock, bolter/battlecannon Russes in there. That army just doesn't have enough ablative armour vehicles yet.
Colonel_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2007, 23:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to munkey

if your facing necrons those tanks will not be able to hold them off, and as soon as the gauss weapons get in range you can kiss your tanks good by.

dis wunz fer yoo KJ!
"wuts so special 'bout iz 'ead boss?"
"dats were da skull iz ya git! and i'd look pretty silly 'wif iz foot on my pointy stick wouldn't i!"

-Gorgutz Dow winter assault

munkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2007, 01:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Sanders
Aaargh! It's like holding back the tide, for every one that you manage to convince that Battalion is the best, another jumps in!

And to answer your question, you'll need to get more tanks. Get some stock, bolter/battlecannon Russes in there. That army just doesn't have enough ablative armour vehicles yet.
Not only much more effective, but a much better list as a whole. And the book is definatley worth it, as someone who originally scoffed at the $105 price tag. Worth every penny. And I had to earn that money myself.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2007, 01:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I am using 6 tanks at 1200 points for a game this weekend, go with less extras and more tanks if you can. Try using a demolisher or two to reduce the number of command tanks. Don't discount the bassi or griffon, I prefer the latter. You need scoring units! The LRBT is your best bet vs necrons or marines. Focus on eliminating your enemy one squad at a time focusing on long range anti armor first. marine tanks and devastator squads need to go. Necron destroyers, heavy destroyers and lords with the telaport ability need to go. Then go to a refused flank and focus all your firepower on the nearest threats until they are gone. Use your mobility to control how many footsloggers you face at one time. My $0.02
Old 03 Mar 2007, 01:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'O GeekyGator
Quote:

Not only much more effective, but a much better list as a whole. And the book is definatley worth it, as someone who originally scoffed at the $105 price tag. Worth every penny. And I had to earn that money myself.
In my opinion, unless you want to start fielding rare units, the Armoured Battlegroup list is inferior to that of the Armoured Company in terms of effectiveness. Sure, it's cheaper, but it is outperformed by its younger brother in so many ways. Here are my reasons:
  • Ace crew skills are one-offs, but most doctrines are continuously in effect.
  • The HQ tank doesn't allow you to take a couple tanks as troop choices (unlike like the Armoured Company HQ Tank).
  • Unlike their Tank Ace counterparts, the squadron command tanks don't have BS4.
  • The ammunition special rules only have one genuinely useful shell type, the AT shell, which is far outmatched by the Armoured Company's equivalent.
  • The Armoured Company has side skirts (among many other outstanding doctrines).

However, all that said, I still prefer the Armoured Battlegroup because it's fun to play and opens up so much more scope for variety. For instance, I like to bring in a Vulture for close air support, or a Valkyrie to droop Storm Troopers off on objectives. Armoured Companies can easily get very expensive, but in my opinion they're more effective.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2007, 01:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to LoTide Send a message via MSN to LoTide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'O GeekyGator
Quote:

In my opinion, unless you want to start fielding rare units, the Armoured Battlegroup list is inferior to that of the Armoured Company in terms of effectiveness. Sure, it's cheaper, but it is outperformed by its younger brother in so many ways. Here are my reasons:
  • Ace crew skills are one-offs, but most doctrines are continuously in effect.
  • The HQ tank doesn't allow you to take a couple tanks as troop choices (unlike like the Armoured Company HQ Tank).
  • Unlike their Tank Ace counterparts, the squadron command tanks don't have BS4.
  • The ammunition special rules only have one genuinely useful shell type, the AT shell, which is far outmatched by the Armoured Company's equivalent.
  • The Armoured Company has side skirts (among many other outstanding doctrines).

However, all that said, I still prefer the Armoured Battlegroup because it's fun to play and opens up so much more scope for variety. For instance, I like to bring in a Vulture for close air support, or a Valkyrie to droop Storm Troopers off on objectives. Armoured Companies can easily get very expensive, but in my opinion they're more effective.
Here here!

I agree. the Doctrines that AC uses are far better. and I wanted a solid Russ force. which is what I am working on ATM...also, I just want to point out that I am limited on cash ATM...er...also...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero - 55 BC
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
LoTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2007, 06:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

is an armored battalion list not legal (opponent's permission) as its from FW?

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Tauroc/Si..._berserker.gif
HailTheRuss is offline   Reply With Quote