Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Anyone else think the deep strike model placement rules are dumb?
Old 02 Mar 2007, 17:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Anyone else think the deep strike model placement rules are dumb?

I figure it's feasible for teleporting troops to arrive on the battlefield back to back, but what about drop troops? Surely they'd be scattered much further apart? Does anyone else think grav-chuting Stormies and drop troops need alternative placement rules for deep striking?

Does anyone have any house rules to better represent grav-chuting troops without giving them an unfair advantage? Perhaps they could be placed like rounds in a barrage but with a 2" seperation between bases?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2007, 18:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Anyone else think the deep strike model placement rules are dumb?

Um I'd agree that your suggestion of deploying like a barrarge would probably be a good way of doing it to better repesent Grav Chute deployment, but then again keeping all true Deep Strikers entering play through one method does keep things simple and unconfusing - to be honest I'm quite happy with how things work now, this is afterall a game and not a battlefield simulation.

[img width=650 height=30]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Misc%2040k/awards.jpg[/img]
Col.Gravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2007, 18:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think the reason they did it like this is it streamlines the game.

Think about how the 3rd edition sped up the game relative to the 2nd.
"Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders.
Rogal Dorn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2007, 18:07   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

If it didn't take so long, I would suggest scattering them all individually from a single point. That means that they are also likely to arrive out of coherency or have a few land in trees, which serves balance them somewhat and makes it work a little more like a true parachute drop.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2007, 18:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
If it didn't take so long, I would suggest scattering them all individually from a single point. That means that they are also likely to arrive out of coherency or have a few land in trees, which serves balance them somewhat and makes it work a little more like a true parachute drop.
Mmmm...I like that, but what of those that roll a hit? Do they scatter too?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 02 Mar 2007, 18:17   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
I would allow the Imperial Guard player to choose the direction in that case. That gives him a shot at trying to keep them in coherency. It would need a little testing to get the balance right. A normal Deep-Strike puts you in a tight circle with a radius of 2-3 inches. This method would put you somewhere in a very rough circle with a radius of 6".
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2007, 18:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
I would allow the Imperial Guard player to choose the direction in that case. That gives him a shot at trying to keep them in coherency. It would need a little testing to get the balance right. A normal Deep-Strike puts you in a tight circle with a radius of 2-3 inches. This method would put you somewhere in a very rough circle with a radius of 6".
Ah, so when you say you'd scatter them all from a single point, you don't mean the full 2D6" for deep striking units, but just 1D6" after the initial scatter had been determined? It's very do-able, but a little time consuming. Thanks for the suggestion though, maybe I'll give it a whirl next game?
Old 02 Mar 2007, 19:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hmmm... this is interesting. Perhaps some day I'll write up some house rules for different types of deep striking
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2007, 20:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Shirrin

I think this would give drop troopers a definite unfair advantage. For starters, it removes the "whole unit lost if one member touches something" rule. Secondly it takes them out of the all to easy to bombard with ordnance formation. Also, take into consideration that most deepstriking units arrive the same way as drop troops, so theres no reason why they should gain an advantage. That being said, I do think with alot of refinement, Deepstrike could function in this way for all units arriving by drop, but I doubt it'd be worth the effort as the rules work great the way they are now.
Old 02 Mar 2007, 20:04   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

how about rolling for scatter for one model. then each model is place 1+D3" away from each other.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote