Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Special weapon support squad
Old 02 Mar 2007, 03:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Special weapon support squad

I have not seen much written on this squad.

How do you use them?

They read like a H2H squad for IG.

If I have my comand squad in a chimera, can I put this squad in it as well?
The comand squad is 5 guys this squad is 6 there is room, and technically they are part of the comand squad (I can't find them in the codex any other place.)
"Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders.
Rogal Dorn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2007, 03:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Special weapon support squad

i have some snipers and meltas to charge enemy troops and tanks..
only problem with them is that they are very vunerable

sigged by DRobot

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying". -Oscar Wilde

"When it comes to thought, some people stop at nothing".-unknown

"we're not retreating; we're advancing in another direction"-General Douglas MacArthur
Grey Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2007, 04:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

I would assume that, as part of the CS, a support squad would be allowed in the chimera, provided they could fit rules-wise (IE: put the whole thing in, don't just put in as many as the chim. fits and leave out one model).

Snipers can be used very effectively for wounding MC's and the like.... meltas for tanks, etc...

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2007, 05:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogal Dorn 1
I have not seen much written on this squad.

How do you use them?

They read like a H2H squad for IG.

If I have my comand squad in a chimera, can I put this squad in it as well?
The comand squad is 5 guys this squad is 6 there is room, and technically they are part of the comand squad (I can't find them in the codex any other place.)
2nd question 1st:
you can only put the squad the chim is assigned to in the chim. silly i know, but there it is.

1st question 2nd:
i dont use them often, unless i am playing without doctrines. i like a demo charge and a couple of flamers (or meltas if points allow)... kind of a suicide squad, but they dont have enough meat to hold up for long anyways so you may as well charge them in and try to blow up something bigger than them before they eat it....

the only other variety I have played with to any effect is 3 grenade launchers as a fluid element... its nice to move all over the place and still punch hard at a reasonable range

problem with special weapon squads is the lack of meat. sure, same thing applies to Hvy weapons squads, but they dont have to get as close or risk leaving cover to get a shot in so often. the only spec weaps that can do that are GL's (which arent that big, but at least dont cost a lot), and plasma (which is just suicidal for a regular guard save, and IMO overrated in the hands of standard guard grunts)
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2007, 09:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to 33rd Sirican Redbacks

If your drop troops 2 meltas and a demo charge, as a suicide tank killer squad
Old 02 Mar 2007, 09:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

As Centurion has stated no you cant mount them in the Command Squad Chimera if there is one - if you wish to mount them in that fashion you'd have to take a mechanised list.

As too how best to use them, well unless you want a sniper team for fluff/looks purposes your best to avoid them for this use - Ratlings are FAR superior - with the cover save bonus and the fact for the same points cost you'll basicly get 5 Sniper rifles instead of 3. On a slight tangent if you dont like the Ratling models as long as your opponents are happy about it you could always proxy them with human sniper models (i.e Cadian, Vostoryn(sp)).

Special Weapon wise they also suffer on account that their weapons are incredably overpriced - for example a Meltagun is almost twice the cost of purchasing one in ANY other squad, personlly I'd suggest not picking them up just for Special Weapons, pick up a Command Section (upto 4 Special Weapons at a much lower price), Storm Troopers (one less weapon, cheaper weapons, increased BS) or Hardened Veterans (increased BS, cheaper weapons, Infiltrate as standard) - all are superior all things considered whether you want a sucide tank hunter or a mobile fire support unit. I'd only suggest fitting them with their own Special Weapons when its comming to the end of the list and you have a dozen left over points with no where better to spend them.

What SWS's do have going for them is one thing, Demo Charges, quite frankly the best use I've yet to see of them is a bare squad with a Demo Charge combined with the docturine Drop Troopers, its realtively cheap at the same cost as a Mars Pattern Sentinel but if you get on target (both with scatter for Deep Strike and Demo Charge through) it can be devastating especially if an opponent is'nt prepared for it (for example thinks their terminators are safe clustered the other side of a wood from your firebase).

You can also use them defensively without Drop Troops against armies which use Deep Strike regularly (especially for example Terminators), the presence of an Ordnance Template in your line can make an opponent think twice about where to deploy the troops. If they do still deploy close in theyve then got to either deal with the Demo Charge (leaving your more valuable assets intact) or not deal with them and get charge in the face (and thanks to Deep Strike they will of course be in a conviently Ordnance template sized formation!).

[img width=650 height=30]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Misc%2040k/awards.jpg[/img]
Col.Gravis is offline   Reply With Quote