Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

stripped down
Old 23 Feb 2007, 19:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default stripped down

has anyone ever had any success with a stripped down leman russ... i.e. just 1 hull hvy bolter in the hull... i havent tried it but i figure it would serve as just as much a fire magnet as the standard lascan/hvy bolt sponson russ - and since most russes are used as stationary battlecannons and sponges to soak up fire that would ordinarily be directed towards more vulnerable troops... anyone used this before?

while i'm on this topic - i have lately been throwing in a squad of completely unadorned lasgunners and found that they are really useful, for a couple of reasons:

first, nobody wants to waste their shots on them, so they have tended to survive a lot longer and can be scoring units in the endgame.

second, they are very fluid since you arent racked with the frustrating decision of whether to move to a better spot, or stand to squeeze off that extra heavy weapon shot.

finally - since they are so dirt cheap and expendable, i often take silly risks like charging up close to rapid-shot and leaving them wide in the open - 20 flashlight shots can cause a surprising number of failed saves and can shock an overconfident marine squad with just a bit of luck.

anyways, any thoughts about that russ idea?
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2007, 20:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: stripped down

Were back to this again?

I don't know about the Lascannons because I have an Armoured Battlegroup (so I don't need them), but as for heavy bolter sponsons, the advantages I can see to taking them are as follows: They give you some added anti-infantry firepower for a pittance, they go a long way towards ensuring the vehicle continues to pose a threat even if the Battlecannon is taken out, and it's basically another opportunity to take a resricted weapon with a unit that can put it to good use. Even in an Armoured Company/Battlegroup you wouldn't likely save much more than 40 points by fielding sponsonless Leman Russes.

Reasons against? Er...
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2007, 20:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

spend the extra points! people will still look at a stripped down russ and think "aah tank! thats strate to the top of the kill list!"
so its worth getting some added effect before your tank goes to the big forge world in the sky.
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2007, 22:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I have 2 tanks in my armored company without sponsons, but four with them. The two without are vanquishers with a coaxial storm bolter and hull heavy bolter, and I only did it because it looks cool and goes well with the side skirts doctrine. For ten points get the dakka. They work for those long lines of minis stung out with the maximum 2" between models. When they are set up like that the pie plate is not as effective as three heavy bolters.
Besides, what are you supposed to do after the first weapon is destroyed and you still have a 145 point 70 ton gun platform with only 3 s5 shots?
my$0.02
Old 24 Feb 2007, 04:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to cabomhn Send a message via Yahoo to cabomhn

I think if you're are going to put a leman russ on the table that the only way to go is with your sponsons. Those extra shots are well worth it when your main gun gets destroyed and your in the heat of combat. That is completely my opinion though. I do know some people who just don't put sponsons on because they don't think it looks as good.

98% of Teenagers have tried smoking pot OR drinking. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
cabomhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2007, 08:13   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Like everyone suggested i'd go against no sponsons, unless you have to (ie, take a lascannon hull to compensate for the lack of anti-armour).

For a measely 10 points you get 6 high strength shots with decent AP. Shop around. where else in any army list can you get that?

but it's up to you. Your gonna be able to do some damage. But don't blame me when the main gun goes pop!

Oh and if you DO decide not to take HB sposons, save the parts! If you regret not taking the sponsons you will need them.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2007, 12:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

you guys are probably right. it seems pretty unanimous that the sponsons are worth the points. the reason i was thinking to have a tank with the only a single hull-hvy-Bolter after the battlecannon is shot out is to claim a board quarter and frustrate the badguys who still have to pour fire into it to deny me a scoring unit... but i guess the 6 extra shots is a pretty good deal. i will points-miser somewhere else and not chop the sponsons off my 3rd russ. thank you. while i am replying to my own post here... i noticed nobody mentioned anything about the 2nd half of my post... squads of plain old lasgunners... has anybody else found having one of these as useful as i have?
Old 24 Feb 2007, 16:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion
...squads of plain old lasgunners... has anybody else found having one of these as useful as i have?
No, but I'm definitely going to try it. Do you strip them down completely to just the basic weapons, or do you still smuggle in a flamer or some such?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2007, 20:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'd definatley run the sponsons, if only because its just not Guard without them.

And, where else are you going to get a 5 point HB with a 14 front armour value? It'd cost you like 15 to get two silly guardsmen with one.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2007, 03:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion
...squads of plain old lasgunners... has anybody else found having one of these as useful as i have?
No, but I'm definitely going to try it. Do you strip them down completely to just the basic weapons, or do you still smuggle in a flamer or some such?
so far i have run it as a basic lasgunner squad... but as the army builds itself... a few points remain unused here and there so if they are leftover im sure a flamer or a grenlunch couldnt hurt the idea... or a vet sarge for the Ld... but thats as far as i want to go...

DELIBERATELY EXPENDABLE

do it man! and use them like they are superheroes... and the results may surprise you and your badguy... either that or they will be gunned down and probably not remembered because shit, its just a few points and it was a nice diversion.

this squad has whooped some tail in the last few games i used it.. it's just so unorthodox... and it turns the psychology of 'what if' on your opponent so he will waste shots better spent elsewhere to prevent the 'just-in-case' scenario that you will go all or nothing with your flashlighters and make him risk that roll of 1

go with it Mr. Norman...and let me know how they did. I wanna be a proud parent.