Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Grenadier Tactics
Old 19 Feb 2007, 05:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Grenadier Tactics

they way ive set up my army, im going with army fluff and have taken doctrines like carapace armor and grenadiers. My guardsmen are heavy infantry, the style is based off of a Volpone and Jantine troops from the gaunts ghosts books.

Ive been experiencing dificulty playing them well. I struggle with having a strong firebase and tank hunting is a major issue. I tend to need to rely heavily on my tanks to do most of the important jobs and that brings in great risks. Ive had more than one isntance where a leman russ got caugt in combat with genestealers, or my sentinels spending and entire game stepping on rippers.

Does anybody have any suggestions about how to effectively play a grenadiers army. If there's no way then ill go back to standard guard but i would preffer to stay true to my fluff.

thanks
beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2007, 05:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Grenadier Tactics

doctorines usually dont work unless you are a really skilled player as they remove the numbers advantage that guard usually have.
though it would help if you were to tell what is in your army?
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2007, 05:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf
they way ive set up my army, im going with army fluff and have taken doctrines like carapace armor and grenadiers. My guardsmen are heavy infantry, the style is based off of a Volpone and Jantine troops from the gaunts ghosts books.

Ive been experiencing dificulty playing them well. I struggle with having a strong firebase and tank hunting is a major issue. I tend to need to rely heavily on my tanks to do most of the important jobs and that brings in great risks. Ive had more than one isntance where a leman russ got caugt in combat with genestealers, or my sentinels spending and entire game stepping on rippers.

Does anybody have any suggestions about how to effectively play a grenadiers army. If there's no way then ill go back to standard guard but i would preffer to stay true to my fluff.

thanks
I would forget the carapace upgrade and just run stormtroopers. For the cost of giving a guardsmen carapace armor you are only a few points under that of a stormtrooper and you can still stick to your fluff but you get 2 spec weapons and a BS 4
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2007, 06:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Kansas, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, World, Milky way, universe
Send a message via AIM to valhallen_warrior Send a message via MSN to valhallen_warrior Send a message via Skype™ to valhallen_warrior

Yeah ive never played a grenadiers army but id drop the carapace to. Its just redundant. Take another doctrine like hardened fighters and tool out your guys for CC.

"I have no delusions of divinity. We are men, not gods. Man is his own god, his own devil, his own death--we are created in our own image, yet imprisoned by the face we call our own. I will remake the world as I have remade my face." - The Black Mask
valhallen_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2007, 08:32   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

you sound like me and my list: tanks and grenadiers.

I would use the tanks to tackle the mundane stuff such as the infantry - massacring them in record time.

And have have tooled up ninja grenadiers! Give them either plasma or melta guns and let them hunt specific targets down. Deploy them on either flank to persuade your enemy to avoid the single route of attack, give them a specific target each and plaster them with special weapons fire. Move on to the next thing.

As for anti-tankness i'd suggest having sentinels with lascannons. Not precisly cheap. But they are walkers and you can easily deploy them at the back of your army and pick off the enemy tanks and big fings. I'd suggest starting with the enemy anti-tank gear, doubleing up for the fast stuff (such as hammerheads with the fast thing - they ruin my day!).

Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2007, 09:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to shasolenzabi

[[[ If you get into a Cityfight environment, take "sewer rats" and have them come up with Meltas behind enemy tanks, or Plasma to kill the MeQ's. Carapace works well if you take the "Grenadiers" as the troops, and Hardened Vets/Stormtroopers as the elite choices, Hardened Vets in carapace are about the same as stroopers, but have an extra Melta and kill tanks nicely! Of course, then you have a basically stormtrooper/Grenadier-ish army so your HQ would also be like stroopers/grenadiers. smaller army, but very elite. Then use the sentinels and tanks to work on the other stuff.
Old 19 Feb 2007, 09:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

taking grenadiers and carapace can be used fluffwise, if you are chosing to make a stormtrooper force, as the carapace makes the extra units (heavy weapons etc) fit in with their comrades.
My WIP Prussian themed Imperial Guard Army - Because you&#39;ve all asked for it!

JAGGED ALLIANCE &#39;09 - Bottled in Scotland (please enjoy responsibly) - Tau Empire
ARCANACON &#39;10 - PWNaVIC - Tau Empire: Veteran Cadre Pegasus - The Dal&#39;yth Oldbloods
BAMBASH - Shas&#39;El von Richthofen&#39;s Flying Circus - Tau Empire - Allied with Imperial Guard

- I survived the SEBF 24hr Painting Challenge!
- One of the last surviving members of the Blue Lake Battlegroup at Compton Hall :P
Shas O Dalyth Montau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2007, 15:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I&#39;ve found that deepstriking stormtroopers with 2 meltaguns are loads more effective at killing tanks than my lascannons ever were.

Go with a small squad deepstriking in behind the enemy&#39;s biggest tank/monster and send two melta shots into it. This tactic is less effective against monsters but it still hurts them and provides a potential distraction.
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2007, 16:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droofus
I&#39;ve found that deepstriking stormtroopers with 2 meltaguns are loads more effective at killing tanks than my lascannons ever were.

Go with a small squad deepstriking in behind the enemy&#39;s biggest tank/monster and send two melta shots into it. This tactic is less effective against monsters but it still hurts them and provides a potential distraction.
Damned risky though, and terribly unreliable. With a two in three chance of scattering, you&#39;ve got to consider the likelihood they&#39;ll scatter beyond the critical 6" range, or worse yet, into an enemy unit (Deepstriking within 6" of an enemy vehicle makes this a distinct possibility)!

I like the tactic, but I won&#39;t risk my expensive Stormies on such a gamble; I deploy mine by Valkyrie once the enemy vehicle has been shaken or stunned and meltabomb them to death.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2007, 16:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

This is my 2,500 point list. Points are a little off on the Veteran squad and the grenadier squad mounted in the chimare because i switched it last night and was to lazy to change the points cost for the overall squad.

The Gorgon is a bit of a point dive but its a really fricking cool tank so i had to include it. I also have a leman russ that im gonna convert into the longe barreled anti-tank version. Tell me if you think i ought to take out or include anything else. Also, the underslung grenade launchers i took from the taros campaign armory, the only games i ever play are friendly ones so they allow me to take them.

2,500 Point Altairan List

Doctrines:
Grenadiers
Carapace Armor
Veterans
Special Weapons Squads
Close Order Drill

HQ:

High commander 220 points
Master Crafted Power sword
Bolt Pistol
Staff officer