Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

ogryns
Reply
Old 17 Feb 2007, 07:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: melbourne, australia
Posts: 744
Send a message via MSN to firewarrior123
Default ogryns

i have played as guard in dark crusade before, and have used ogryns, but the strange thing is, that i have never seen one or even heard anyone mention them before.

so... do they actually exist?
__________________
(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination
firewarrior123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2007, 09:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ballarat-Victoria-Australia
Posts: 907
Default Re: ogryns

Yes, They do exist, here is a link to them:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/imperia...ure-gallery/7/

SOme people have also used ogre kingdom bulls with converted weapons.

Also dont believe everything that happens in DoW
__________________
All time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so

Turning and Turning in the widening gyre, the falcon cannot hear the falconer; Things fall apart; The centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
W.B. Yeates
The Second Coming

Thanks to Drobot for the sig
Inquisitor Walsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2007, 11:13   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 98
Default Re: ogryns

ogryns are wicked. i only have three but they work wonders for my army. expensive though, $26 australian each.
__________________
[sup][citation needed][/sup]


Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it
every six months.

Teamwork is essential -- it allows you to blame someone else.

--thanks to DRobot
FiremaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2007, 12:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,794
Default Re: ogryns

firewarrior123,

Ogryns DO exist. You can of course see their models in the link W@L$Y provided in his post, but you can also see the rules for them in the Imperial Guard codex. I, unfortunately, don't have my IG codex with me right now, so I don't know the exact page, but they're somewhere in there! Just do a little surfing.

IMO, I think Ogryns are pretty nifty. They cost a bit, but they're a great assault unit that can save your shooty IG squads from CC . You just have to make sure to get past their faults. Which is giving them a Bone 'Ead for Leadership bonuses, and mounting them in a vehicle from the start of the game, so their "It's Dark In Der" special rule won't get in the way of any mobility ideas you may have for them. I also think their models are pretty cool, just a little funky for an IG regiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremaN
expensive though, $26 australian each.
They are really big chunks of metal, aren't they? They're $17 here. One of the reasons I don't care about actually getting any.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
Falstead: I don't think you can ever justify a T5 goat in a regular 40k game
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
ToastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2007, 13:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,246
Default Re: ogryns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastMaster
firewarrior123,

Ogryns DO exist. You can of course see their models in the link W@L$Y provided in his post, but you can also see the rules for them in the Imperial Guard codex. I, unfortunately, don't have my IG codex with me right now, so I don't know the exact page, but they're somewhere in there! Just do a little surfing.

IMO, I think Ogryns are pretty nifty. They cost a bit, but they're a great assault unit that can save your shooty IG squads from CC . You just have to make sure to get past their faults. Which is giving them a Bone 'Ead for Leadership bonuses, and mounting them in a vehicle from the start of the game, so their "It's Dark In Der" special rule won't get in the way of any mobility ideas you may have for them. I also think their models are pretty cool, just a little funky for an IG regiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremaN
expensive though, $26 australian each.
They are really big chunks of metal, aren't they? They're $17 here. One of the reasons I don't care about actually getting any.
Page 42, IG codex.

Unfortunately, the popularity of Ogryns is ever decreasing as the models are becoming a bit too out of date.
__________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.
-Will Durant
Aftercresent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2007, 13:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hertford, UK
Posts: 5,086
Default Re: ogryns

Has anyone got any thoughts on what we could use to Proxy Ogryns? I hate the whole concept of machinegun-toting Ogres in a modern army (even though that's essentially what most infantrymen are). There must be something else that could be used in their place? Reckon the Starship Troopers Cougar model would work? It looks too heavily armoured to me. :-\



__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Sanders
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2007, 13:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,794
Default Re: ogryns

Tom,

While that's an awesome model, it looks MUCH too heavily armoured for an Ogryn. It looks more like a Terminator than an Ogryn. The model also doesn't seem in the low-tech theme of Ogryns. IMO, I think Ogre Kingdom Bulls work as good Ogryns if you give them some armour plates, etc. But maybe that's just me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
Falstead: I don't think you can ever justify a T5 goat in a regular 40k game
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
ToastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2007, 13:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,246
Default Re: ogryns

Actually Tom, there was a conversion posted here a long time before you had blessed our forum with your presence. ( :P )
It was some thing like a cross between a terminator and a guardsman, and looked really awesome.
__________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.
-Will Durant
Aftercresent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2007, 13:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hertford, UK
Posts: 5,086
Default Re: ogryns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastMaster
Tom,

While that's an awesome model, it looks MUCH too heavily armoured for an Ogryn. It looks more like a Terminator than an Ogryn. The model also doesn't seem in the low-tech theme of Ogryns. IMO, I think Ogre Kingdom Bulls work as good Ogryns if you give them some armour plates, etc. But maybe that's just me.
Sure, but that's not my point. Like I said, I hate the whole concept of machinegun-toting Ogres in a modern army. I want something else to represent them; something that'll fit into the theme of my army without having to lower it to the standard of primatives.

[hr]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterCresent
Actually Tom, there was a conversion posted here a long time before you had blessed our forum with your presence. ( :P )
It was some thing like a cross between a terminator and a guardsman, and looked really awesome.
Krez, any idea how far back this was? I want to see it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Sanders
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2007, 14:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,246
Default Re: ogryns

Found it here!

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=13653.0

Ex//
__________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.
-Will Durant
Aftercresent is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ogryns Alternatives Zen Imperial Guard 7 23 Feb 2009 19:56
Ogryns and 5th bc99 Imperial Guard 8 21 Jul 2008 12:10
What are Ogryns? Faolin Imperial Guard 16 23 Jan 2006 01:22
What goes well with Ogryns? QBit Imperial Guard 24 11 May 2005 21:16
Ogryns Cadian 11th Imperial Guard 4 29 Oct 2004 12:03