Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need Help on an Army List
Old 16 Feb 2007, 10:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to cabomhn Send a message via Yahoo to cabomhn
Default Need Help on an Army List

Well, for my army list, I want to do a Death Korps of Kreig themed army that is largely comprised up with tanks. I would also like to incorporate a baneblade into my army which I am scratchbuilding now. I also want the list to be around 2500 points.If anybody could make any suggestions as to how I should set up my army or give me some lists I would really appreciate it.

Matt Nudi

Because this isn't an actual army list, I moved this to the standard IG board.-Krez

98% of Teenagers have tried smoking pot OR drinking. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
cabomhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2007, 22:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Need Help on an Army List

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabomhn
Well, for my army list, I want to do a Death Korps of Kreig themed army that is largely comprised up with tanks. I would also like to incorporate a baneblade into my army which I am scratchbuilding now. I also want the list to be around 2500 points.If anybody could make any suggestions as to how I should set up my army or give me some lists I would really appreciate it.

Matt Nudi

Because this isn't an actual army list, I moved this to the standard IG board.-Krez
Well if you want mostly tanks then you are going to have to go Armored Company pretty much. The rules for the AC are on GW website. Other then the standard guard tanks anything from ForgeWorld or Imperial Armor requires your opponents permission to use.

Command tank a lot of people take an Exterminator with improved comms. Then a couple tank aces usually in Vanquisher tanks. Leman Russ tanks form your standard troop choices and the baneblade is a super heavy and I think takes up more then one slot and can only be used over 2000 points if memory serves me correctly. This should help get you started. A lot of people won't make you an army list as you are expected to do your own homework and ideas.
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2007, 01:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

May I make a suggestion? Since you asked I assume I can.

If you want a cheaper, tank-themed force with infatnry, I strongly suggest you buy IA1 (it's the only source for baneblade rules as well), and use their Armoured Batallion list. It is much superior to the AC list in every way- most importantly moving the Armoured Fist Squad slot to the Troops slot, and the Stormtroopers from Elites to Fast Attack. I think, since you'll want to incorporate infantry, you'll find it much better written and more fufilling.

Baneblades, though, as super heavies, are part of their own "detatchment" of three vehicals. Therefore, I wouldn't count them in your 2500 points. They are about 600, so total you'll have about 3250. As for the other 2500, I'll talk about AB from IA1, as it is much superior.

You'll want a command tank for sure, and probably make it an exterminator or vanquisher. Thrown in a Squadron Tank commander (since only they contribute to troops tanks, unlike AC), and a couple troops tanks. Add in an Armoured Fist HQ and a few armoured fist squads for flavour, plus some storm troopers in Valkyries, and possibly an Atlas HQ tank so you can take Techpriests as a Elites choice, if that's up your alley. Just play around with it, but keep the total $$$ cost in mind.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2007, 11:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to cabomhn Send a message via Yahoo to cabomhn

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll go get to work on an army list.

98% of Teenagers have tried smoking pot OR drinking. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
cabomhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2007, 12:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sorry, GeekyGator but I've got to disagree with you there. The size of the game is determined before army lists are selected, but all that is besides the point anyway because IA1 doesn't even specify a minimum size game for fielding super-heavies! All it says is that they come in a seperate detachement of up to three super-heavies and only one such detachment may be taken for every 'normal' detachment. It's up to you and your opponent to agree on the number of detachments you are allowing (page 78 BGB), and nowhere in the rulebook (as far as I can tell) does it specify a points limit above which you may incorporate a second detachment.

Cabomhn, you don't need to play a 3250 point game to make use of a Baneblade; so long as you've got a 'normal' detachment (ie. codex IG) then you may take a super-heavy tank as a second detachment (provided you're actually playing such a game). Even if super-heavies were limited to 2000 point games and over, there's nothing to stop you from fielding a Baneblade and making up the rest of the points with normal units so long as you can field the mandatory unit types. And to say that you don't count the Baneblade's cost is just daft; the game size is the maximum number of points you may spend on your armies, not their cumulative cost. Do you build a 1500 point Imperial Fist army and then add Lysander?

[hr]

As for unit selection in an Armoured Battlegroup, I certainly wouldn't squander the command Tank's high Balistic Skill on a twin-linked Autocannon! It's got to be a Vanquisher for me, with the 'Slick loader' ace crew skill to ensure the complete destruction of the enemy's most threatening vehicle in the opening turns.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote