Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Imperial Guard Artillery Tanks: A debate.
View Poll Results: Which of the following tanks do you prefer, and Why?
Basilisk 25 46.30%
Griffin 26 48.15%
Medusa 2 3.70%
Manticore 1 1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Feb 2007, 21:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Imperial Guard Artillery Tanks: A debate.

Which, of the four Imperial Guard Artillery Tanks, do you prefer?

Here are the stats:

They all have the same armor, since they all use the Chimera hull.

The Medusa and Manticore are tied for the most expensive, the bassie the third and Griffin the cheapest.

They are all ordnance weapons. Medusa has the highest strength and best AP, followed by slightly less strength on the manticore but same AP, slightly worse AP on the bassie, and significantly worse strength on the griffin.

Unfortunatley, the medusa has very low range, which coupled with the low armor can be very bad for the tank. The Manticore only gets 4 shots. The bassie, though, has long range, high strength, looks pretty cool, is nice and cheap... while the Griffin is jsut a few points chepaer and has a much lower strength and range.

I love the bassie. What do you guys like?

GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2007, 22:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Imperial Guard Artillery Tanks: A debate.

My choose is the almighty Griffon mortar carrier. It is the only vehicle in the list that really belongs in 40k. The Medusda though I like what it does I just don't think it does it effectively. Should be a 48" indirect and I would love it. The basilisk is a long range (kilometers) weapon and would not be seen on a modern battlefield. Imagine driving a M-109 Artillery piece up to the front lines and engaging armor and infantry while taking return fire The manticore is anti-air which doesnt play a big part of 40k in my opinion. I still curse GW every day that I can't field my Griffons in my guard army since they took it away from the loyalist soldiers.
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2007, 23:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'm not sure the Medusa can really be compared to the other vehicles in this poll as it serves a different purpose. Surely only indirect fire weapons count here?

I like the Manticore because it can be fitted with a variety of different missile types and, as Go Guard Or Go Home pointed out, it can even be fitted with surface-to-air missiles to serve an air defence role. I like the chunky missiles and I can envision a battery of them launching a fire mission at night. But the minimum range lets it down for me.

My favourite is the Griffon because it's cheap as chips, fires indirectly, has no minimum range, wounds most infantry on a 2+ and defeats anything softer than power armour. Tankbusting should be left to lascannons, missile launchers and autocannons. That being so, the lower strength is almost irrelevant.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2007, 23:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
My favourite is the Griffon because it's cheap as chips, fires indirectly, has no minimum range, wounds most infantry on a 2+ and defeats anything softer than power armour. Tankbusting should be left to lascannons, missile launchers and autocannons. That being so, the lower strength is almost irrelevant.
Exactly my reasoning.

Quote:
The manticore is anti-air which doesnt play a big part of 40k in my opinion.
The Manticore is by no means a dedicated anti-air platform, although I can see why you'd think that by looking at the model. The missiles it uses ingame are for ground-to-ground engagement like any other artilery piece.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2007, 23:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Wow, that does make sense actually. Unfortuanatley it doesn't insta-kill marines, but still very useful. I still think the Bassie is a bargain, only 25 points more than the griffin. And remember, the minimum range is only for indirect fire. For direct its as close as you want.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 23:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

It's the Griffon for me as well. Take that and couple it with Infernus shells, and you've got a nasty piece of work. JSJing Crisis Suits you say? Not a problem!
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2007, 00:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Griffons. Even more so with the Forge World special shells rules. The minimum indirect range on a basilisk can be a big factor. Griffons are so cheap you can run them even in 500 point games without breaking the bank.
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2007, 00:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Actually you could run them in combat patrol couldn't you?

OK so the griffin is a very good tactical choice, but I still say the Bassie looks more badass.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 00:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'El GeekyGator
...remember, the minimum range is only for indirect fire. For direct its as close as you want.
No one's forgotten that, bud. And if the minimum indirect range was 12" or so then I'd be inclined to agree with you, but 36" is a long way on the tabletop, and unless you're fighting in a desert, there's almost certainly going to be intervening terrain, especially in a cityfight.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2007, 00:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

and the griffon is forge world rules now..... so for legal playing without opponent permission your only choice is the bassie!

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Tauroc/Si..._berserker.gif
HailTheRuss is offline   Reply With Quote