Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

guard army composition
View Poll Results: so, cheesy or stupid?
ultra cheesy 2 12.50%
kinda cheesy 3 18.75%
average 6 37.50%
not so good 5 31.25%
the dumbest thing i ever heard 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Feb 2007, 08:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default guard army composition

I'm starting a guard army soon and i have a fair idea of what i want to field: 3 basilisks and every squad with either an autocannon or missile launcher. just give me your honest opinion, cheesy or stupid? ???
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2007, 08:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: guard army composition

cheesy, yes. BUT, you are going for what you want, which is good, you would be doing it by the rules which is fine (well actually vital but thats not what I am trying to get at). You have a theme and you are going for it, which is good.

As said, cheesy (with reason), but not stupid.
My WIP Prussian themed Imperial Guard Army - Because you&#39;ve all asked for it!

JAGGED ALLIANCE &#39;09 - Bottled in Scotland (please enjoy responsibly) - Tau Empire
ARCANACON &#39;10 - PWNaVIC - Tau Empire: Veteran Cadre Pegasus - The Dal&#39;yth Oldbloods
BAMBASH - Shas&#39;El von Richthofen&#39;s Flying Circus - Tau Empire - Allied with Imperial Guard

- I survived the SEBF 24hr Painting Challenge!
- One of the last surviving members of the Blue Lake Battlegroup at Compton Hall :P
Shas O Dalyth Montau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2007, 08:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

maybe I&#39;ll make it 1 or 2 bassies and a russ instead...

yes, I can see it now: the Arkadian 47th artillery, crushing all before them &gt;
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2007, 13:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

It sounds like you&#39;re making an artillery battery. A game of 40k is supposed to be a little more fluid than defence of a gun position, but then again, the only time the Imperial Guard might be considered &#39;fluid&#39; is when they get hit by Gauss weapons. :P

It&#39;s a good theme for a Guard army, just so long as you follow it through and model units appropriately. For instance, you could base your Basilisks on plasticard and build up sandbag walls around them. You could add large pallets of ammunition, personal kit and entrenching tools here and there...perhaps even a flask/cup of tea going cold atop a sandbag wall, an egg banjo on the go on a gas cooker, or a scattered pack of cards in the mud?

Don&#39;t worry about making them look too immobile; never in any game have I seen a Basilisk move. Ever. Sure, they can move and shoot if you really want them too, but that&#39;s what tanks are for.

If it&#39;s something you&#39;re interested in doing then take a look at some pictures and talk to people who&#39;ve served in an armoured battlegroup (preferably in an artillery battery). There&#39;s lots of things entrenched crewmen do when occupying a position and you could make an outstanding themed army if you put your mind to it.

P.S. - Sod the Russ. If you&#39;re going to do an artillery battery, then go the whole hog.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2007, 14:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
...but then again, the only time the Imperial Guard might be considered &#39;fluid&#39; is when they get hit by Gauss weapons. :P
Sigged.

Indeed, go whole hog. You might want to work some mortars in the infantry since that&#39;d go with the entrenched artillery theme.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2007, 15:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas&#39;El GeekyGator
Indeed, go whole hog. You might want to work some mortars in the infantry since that&#39;d go with the entrenched artillery theme.
Meh...not sure I agree with that one. Mortar sections are attached to infantry companies for close support, but close support for a gun battery is at the battlegroup level, not company level, and tends to mean pounding trench lines, exposed infantry and light vehicles from ninteen or so kilometres away.

You might have a mortar or two on hand in the gun position to fire up illum, but the defensive weaponry will mostly consist of machineguns (heavy bolters/stubbers and autocannons) and anti-tank weapons (missile launchers and lascannons). I&#39;d say mortars don&#39;t really belong en masse in a gun battery.

You could definitely field a Chimera or two as QRF vehicles and command posts though. Hell, now I feel like doing this kind of army! If you made it an armoured company with the siege regiment doctrine you could field up to six Basilisks, not quite enough for a full-size gun battery, but more than enough to represent it on the table.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 16:07   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

By the way i wouldn&#39;t worry about being called cheese. I feild 3 leman russes in a 750 point game, and ive never heard any complaints.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2007, 17:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare
By the way i wouldn&#39;t worry about being called cheese. I feild 3 leman russes in a 750 point game, and ive never heard any complaints.
Holy crap. Do you ever lose?
Old 11 Feb 2007, 18:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
I&#39;d ask you to field something else. If you didn&#39;t I&#39;d take 2 hammerheads and three broadsides.
When you wish upon a star, your wish may come true. Unless that star is a meteorite hurtling towards the earth. In that case you&#39;re just screwed; unless you wished for death by meteorite.
Commander_Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2007, 18:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare
So 3 Leman Russes all with heavy bolters, command squad of 5 men no upgrades, 1 infantry platoon, no upgrades and a 20 man conscript platoon with no upgrades comes out to 745 points. How do you win? Considering your highest strength weapon is 8 and scatters. A Marine player can take las carrying squads, lascannon tanks, assault cannons etc that would slice through your army like a hot knife through butter and you have barely a chance to scratch AV 13 armor let alone AV 14. I wonder how often you win considering your army sounds like a one trick pony
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote