Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Guard VS Dark Eldar
Old 03 Feb 2007, 18:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Guard VS Dark Eldar

I played a game against a Dark Eldar army the other day his army had 2 Talos 4 large Warrior Squads with Dark Lances and 3 raiders with Wytches in them. My point is how the heck do you beat this list? He jumps one Raider behind some terrain so i cant see it next turn they jump out from behind terrain infront of my lines disembarks fleets then assaults me and he does the same thing with the other two he dismantled my army that way.
Carnex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2007, 21:59   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae
Default Re: Guard VS Dark Eldar

What sort of list are you running? It would help immensely if we knew
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2007, 22:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

It would indeed help greatly if we had an idea of your list.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2007, 22:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thats the list i was using.

HQ 170 Points

Command Platoon 170 Points
Heroic Senior Officer 115 Points
Weapons: Las Pistol and Power Fist
Wargear: Carapace Armour, Trademark Item and Refractor Field
Staff Equipment: Las Pistol and Close Combat Weapons and 2 Meltaguns
Upgrades: Master Vox Caster
Doctrines: Iron Discipline

Troops 840 Points

Platoon 1 515 Points
Command Platoon 126 Points
Junior Officer 105 Points
Weapons: Plasma Pistol and Power Sword
Wargear: Carapace Armour, Honorifica Imperialis and Refractor Field
Staff Equipment: Las Pistol and Close Combat Weapons and 2 Grenade Launchers
Upgrades: Vox Caster
Doctrines: Iron Discipline

Anti-Tank Support Squad 95 Points
Weapons: Lasguns and 3 Missile Launchers

Infantry Squad 1 98 Points
Weapons: Lasguns, 1 Lascannon and 1 Grenade Launcher

Infantry Squad 2 98 Points

Infantry Squad 3 98 Points

Platoon 2 325 Points
Command Platoon 62 Points
Junior Officer 41 Points
Weapons: Bolter
Staff Equipment: Las Pistol and Close Combat Weapons and 2 Grenade Launchers

Infantry Squad 1 98 Points

Infantry Squad 2 90 Points
Weapons: Lasguns, 1 Missile Launcher and 1 Plasma gun

Infantry Squad 3 75 Points
Weapons: Lasguns and 1 Heavy Bolter

Fast Attack 250 Points

Hellhound 125 Points
Upgrades: Extra Armour and Rough Terrain Modification

Hellhound 125 Points
Upgrades: Extra Armour and Rough Terrain Modification

Heavy Support 201 points

Leman Russ Battle Tank 201 Points
Weapons: Hull Lascannon and Heavy Bolter Side Sponsors
Upgrades: Searchlight, Smoke Launchers, Pintle Mounted Heavy Stubber, Extra Armour, Rough Terrain Modification, and Track Guards

Total 1461 Points
Old 03 Feb 2007, 22:39   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I am not very knowlegable about dark eldar. but do they have transports that allow them to disenbark and assault in the same turn?

If not, and he must disembark first, and assault you one turn later, then he is forced to disembark a very large team of troop from a transport and leave them there during your next turn before he charge and slaugher you.

You can counter that by using your vehicules wisely to put them in his way, and move to prevent him to charge. Then, you use some poor troops as speedbumps to slow him down so you can conveniently rapid shoot him in the face when he consolidate.

I dont know exactly how dark eldar work. but if it is like 3 fast moving skimmer transports carrying a gazzilion of CC monsters and they got to stay idle when they disembark, i would use some cheap special weapons teams to counter him.

If they move 6' and charge 6', then he got to disembark pretty close to you to assault. Then, send your special team foward as close to them as you can, and trow them an explosive charge. If they are required to be under 2' of the transport when disembarking, they will not apreciate the charge trown at them. Then, move your squad as such as they have maximum 2' distance between them in a horisontal line so they completly block the qay to the rest of your troop. Get as close to them as you can. They will not be able to charge trough your 6 man squad. So they will be forced to shoot or charge them. In wich case, they will easily kill them all and consolidate. but not advance much. So you will have another free turn to rapid shoot in their face. Things like that. Speedbump are your friends.
Archimede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2007, 22:44   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Is it becose you dont have the models that you upgrade some of your stuff so heavilly? For the same amound of points, you could probably field cheaper but more numerous firepower.
Archimede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2007, 23:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

They disembarked from a raider which is a open toped veichle which means he can still assault. And as you can still shoot after disembarking so you can still fleet. And my hellhounds could not see any raiders so could not make a "hell" of a mess of them.
Old 03 Feb 2007, 23:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimede
Is it becose you dont have the models that you upgrade some of your stuff so heavilly? For the same amound of points, you could probably field cheaper but more numerous firepower.
A lot of armies are based around that problem... (for instance I only have 1 sentinel but I know it would be far more effective to have 3... and so on)... but fluff plays a big part in army selection. I'm glad you posted your list... couple of things... THAT MANY LASCANNONS?? switching up for a missile here or there or a autocan/hvy Bolter will still give you the heavy weapon edge, but give you a few more points to kick around...

HSO with a powerfist is not a good idea because he doesnt have enough meat around him and he goes last. and even if he is the hardest dude in your guard army, he is still just the hardest dude in your GUARD army and most orky-genesteally-aspecty stuff out there would rip him to shreds for a fraction of the points. give the powerfist to commies or hard-vet-sgts but not to an independant character.

There is a thread about weapons combinations floating around somewhere in this cyberland - and a lascan/grenlunch combo is not one of the better combos since their ideal targets will be so different
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2007, 01:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

Well, a few mortars could help you out a bit (being that they don't require LoS), or maybe a Bassie with indirect fire.. Personally, I would probably end up putting a few chimeras in there, to help block assaults.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2007, 02:05   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Invest in some Heavy Bolters and Autocannons. Against the Dark Eldar they will be able to rip through both tanks and infantry with relative ease.
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote