Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

what shoudl i get next for my 1000 pt guard army?
Closed Thread
Old 26 Jan 2005, 21:20   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to ryke
Default what shoudl i get next for my 1000 pt guard army?

I was wondering what next to get for my 1000pt guard army, need some advice! I got a HQ wth the cadian colonel, 1 squad storm troopers, 1 leman russ and 4 squads of shock troopers split into 2 platoons. I am using cadians, but with my own regimental doctrines, so what should i get next ???
Old 26 Jan 2005, 21:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: what shoudl i get next for my 1000 pt guard army?

Heavy weapon teams? Senitals...what ever our experience guard players tell you too?
Old 26 Jan 2005, 22:17   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

So far I only got two hvy weapons with two squads of troopers, I guess i definatly need some more, i don't know any other guard players really, well tha's one reason i posted this.... one thing though i can do is ally them with some SM or TAU i have so i can balance it out....... I was personally thinking of a hellhound maybe next.......
Old 26 Jan 2005, 22:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Brother-Captain

A couple things you may consider adding:

An Armoured Fist squad.
Deffinantly a Heavy Weapons team or two, try to go for 2 Fire Support 1 Anti-Tank, this combo works well for me.
Get rid of those squad based heavy weapons, I generally use a Heavy Weapons platoon if I need more firepower these days, and try investing in a couple flamers or meltaguns for your infantry platoons.

Other then that I don't really like the new rules for hellhounds (mostly because it just seems very unrealistic.) and perhaps try for a few more squads of infantry, numbers do the trick.

"Death is but a passing into a new existance, Heresy is the only true form of death, as it leads to damnation." -Attributed to Cheif Librarian Varcus

If you feel like striking up a good conversation, Warhammer related or otherwise, contact me on my AIM name (Specter Zerus)
Old 27 Jan 2005, 00:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You sound good.. I'd say that heavy weapons are a good way to go.. or you know a Demolisher.. those are fun. >

Hail Olianus Pious! Patron Saint of the Imperial Guard! Savior of the Emperor!
Old 27 Jan 2005, 08:33   #6 (permalink)
Dom
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Dom

deffinatley invest in a hellhound. this tank can take out whole squads at a time. although marines still get thier saves, its always gonna hit (as opposed to battle cannons that can scatter) also when marines (chaos and loyalist) find that they are facing battele cannons, its almost impossible to get them out of cover.
hellhounds arre great as well for taking out inflitrating troops with a 4+ save or less as inflitrators tend to bunch together to get into good places.
IMO its one of the best tanks in the game. not the best maybe, but one of them!
Dom
Old 27 Jan 2005, 11:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
deffinatley invest in a hellhound. this tank can take out whole squads at a time. although marines still get thier saves, its always gonna hit (as opposed to battle cannons that can scatter) also when marines (chaos and loyalist) find that they are facing battele cannons, its almost impossible to get them out of cover.
hellhounds arre great as well for taking out inflitrating troops with a 4+ save or less as inflitrators tend to bunch together to get into good places.
IMO its one of the best tanks in the game. not the best maybe, but one of them!
He is SO right! Get a Hellhound!

Old 27 Jan 2005, 19:25   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

So a Hellhound is definatly a good idea then..... are Basilisks any good? i know they r open-topped, but i don't know exactly what that means.... definatly get a demolisher eventually, but is it best to give side sponsons of meltas or plasma?
Old 27 Jan 2005, 22:46   #9 (permalink)
Dom
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Dom

baslilisks are ok, but it depends what type of board you play on. its got a huge range and can out-range anything else in the game. th draw back is that if you barrage it (ie no line of site) then you have a minimum range of 36" i beleive, which isnt so good on a smaller board. however, it does give you a cheap battle cannon that lakes the staying power of a leman russ.
being opened topped means that on any penetrating or glancing hits, the enemy gets +1 on the damage rolls. which means on a glancing hit you die a third of the time (5 or 6 on a d6) and a penetrating hit you die on a 3+. no great!! being opened topped also means that you get "vulneralble to blasts" universal special rule from the rule book (i forget which page!)

personally, i would go for heavy flamers on side sponson demolishers, as if you get weapon destroyed, the demolisher cannon will go. and seeing as you have to be cose to the enemy to shoot it, you can then drive up next turn and put down 2 heavy flamer templates and the enemy comes face to face with a big angry battle tank! the other advantage is that the flamer is a defensive weapon, so you can fire both on the move, whereas the plasma cannons or multimeltas cant fire to full effect on the move. but some people do swear by plasma or multimelta sponsons, but personally i dont rate them!
Dom
Old 27 Jan 2005, 23:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'd be one of those "Swear by plasma cannon" guys.. Its the onlly place a guard army can take Plasma cannons.. adn they are AMAZING marine killers... or in my case, necron killers!

Closed Thread