Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Armored Company.
Old 25 Jan 2007, 20:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Starting Armored Company.

After downloading the rules from the GW site I have Decided that an armored company is my next army. Having completed a few trades on tau on-line, I will have my first few tanks by next week.

There are a lot of nice tanks available to the AC general, but the Russ Battle Tank looks like the best option to me. I think I will start of with a comand tank( leman russ with laz cannon and HB sponsons, 2 troops (Leman Russ with HB and HB sponsons) and 1 Heavy a demolisher with..... well I'm not sure how to arm this one?

I am also considdering a couple of armagedon sentinels as tank hunters.

I have never played with IG tanks, but they have impressed me when I played against them. Please let me know what you think. Any comments are welcome, including a rant from wargamer regarding how I have defiled the sanctity of the holy guard with my abomination.
Old 25 Jan 2007, 21:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aquila_XV8
Default Re: Starting Armored Company.

[move]Don't get armoured company!![/move]

I was planning in getting a tank army, and I was looking at the armoured company list. Then I discovered how much better the armoured Battallion List In IA1 is! But If you don't Have IA the tank company is your next best thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Welcome to the Navy, Chevron.

Longest Ever Maiden Chain: 55
Aquila_XV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2007, 21:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks Chevron.
I do not have IA 1, and honestly can not spend the money on those amazing forgeworld tanks. I have seen the list and agree that it is superior. I will use a lot of normal battle tanks, and a demolisher or two.
Can this type or list be effective? I thought giving a laz cannon to the tanks with BS 4 would make sense, and a pair of armagedon sentinels to back them up might work. I thought about converting an exterminator to handle light skimmers, but I'm not sure if it is really any better than a standard russ with 3 heavy bolters and a heavy stubber. What do you think?
Old 25 Jan 2007, 21:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yea, its effective.

Just think, how often do people cry cheese at it? All the time? It must be effective. I havn't seen AB, but I want to get IA1 soooooo baaaaaaaaaad... with my tutoring job though (The Math Matters Empire has three clients now! $30 a week!) I will be able to get it soon hopefully hopefully.

GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2007, 23:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

The Armoured Battlegroup can make use of the ammunition type special rules, and I think that's what's so cool about them. They've also got ace crew skills and a handful of tank aces, but armoured companies have doctrines, so they're nothing to get too excited about. I would definitely consider a Vanquisher as your BS4 command tank though.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2007, 23:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thaks Tom,
Why do you like the vanquisher? It is a very costly unit and I don't see the benefit. Is it that much better? I'm not trying to be a smart @$$. I just don't get it. So many points in one place, with a relatively small force, does not look like a good idea to me. I would think a few laz caannons spead throughout the force would be better for tank hunting. Please explain.

I also have a question about doctrines. Does anyone use anything except the rare vehicles. They look like point sinks with little real benefit to me.

I like walkers, just look at my marine army complete with three dreadnoughts, are the sentinels with laz cannons a good tank hunting suppliment? I figure you will probably hit with one each turn, If you use two, and maybe get lucky once in a while and hit with both.

My last question: does anyone know of a good source of information regarding the camo paterns used by panzer devisions in WW2?
Old 26 Jan 2007, 01:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Okay. I understand you just came from the land of the Space Marine, but over here, you're in completely new territory.

Please. Take our advice and use the Battlegroup. I honestly don't understand why people feel they auto-lose several thousand dollars by using anything with the word "Forgeworld" on it.

Every tank in the list is easily convertible! The hardest is the Executioner, but that is easily solved by a super glue container, bits from plastic water pistols, guitar wire, small pipes... etc, etc.

Vanquishers are more useful than your "sprinkled lascannons" plan. I'm not saying it's a bad plan, but the Vanquisher is unbeleivably good in game play, especially if you use the special ammuntion rules. I understand why you think it's a bad idea, they are very expensive in points, but believe me, they're worth it. If you don't think so, proxy one and give it a try.

Failing that, use the 0 pt tank hunting option- special ammunition! I cannot stress enough how useful this stuff is... apparently, you have seen the stats for the Vanquisher, AB list, etc, so you can probably get a hold of them. (I don't know, it's just that you mentioned it.) Using AT shells, every plain Leman Russ becomes a baby vanquisher. It's wonderful. It's beautiful. It's a slight loop-hole in the rules.
Colonel_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2007, 01:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for the input. I can try a vanquisher in a tank ace spot. It won't cost as much there, and special amunition sounds great when you put it like that. your advice has been a big help.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the sentinels. should I take some of the cool looking walkers, or are they better left on the shelf?
Old 26 Jan 2007, 01:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensmurf
Thaks Tom,
Why do you like the vanquisher? It is a very costly unit and I don't see the benefit. Is it that much better? I'm not trying to be a smart @$$. I just don't get it. So many points in one place, with a relatively small force, does not look like a good idea to me. I would think a few laz caannons spead throughout the force would be better for tank hunting. Please explain.

I also have a question about doctrines. Does anyone use anything except the rare vehicles. They look like point sinks with little real benefit to me.

I like walkers, just look at my marine army complete with three dreadnoughts, are the sentinels with laz cannons a good tank hunting suppliment? I figure you will probably hit with one each turn, If you use two, and maybe get lucky once in a while and hit with both.

My last question: does anyone know of a good source of information regarding the camo patern used by panzer devisions in WW2?
I like the Vanquisher cannon because it is essentially a Meltagun with a virtually unlimited range (albeit with AP3, not AP1). It outperforms the Lascannon against every armour value and because of the reduced drop off for 'melta' type weapons against incrementing Armour Values, this improved performance is most evident against AV14 where a Lascannon at BS4 has a mere 11% chance of inflicting a penetrating hit, compared to the Vanquisher cannon's whopping 39% probability!

Vanquishers are only 35 points more expensive than conventional Russes, so including one shouldn't be such a dramatically daunting prospect. Besides, if you factor in the cost of fitting a Lascannon to a Leman Russ hull, as opposed to a heavy bolter for a Vanquisher, you're only really looking at 25 points extra. The Vanquisher also comes with a co-axial Storm Bolter, which is otherwise 10 points extra. In that respect it's only 15 points more expensive than a Russ.

You can't make an armoured battlegroup solely out of Leman Russes and Demolishers though, just think how boring that would be! An army such as that is expected to have at least one rare pattern of tank, and I would recommend the Vanquisher above all others, especially as the Company Command Tank.

[hr]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Sanders
Vanquishers are more useful than your "sprinkled lascannons" plan. I'm not saying it's a bad plan, but the Vanquisher is unbeleivably good in game play, especially if you use the special ammuntion rules. I understand why you think it's a bad idea, they are very expensive in points, but believe me, they're worth it. If you don't think so, proxy one and give it a try.

Failing that, use the 0 pt tank hunting option- special ammunition! I cannot stress enough how useful this stuff is... apparently, you have seen the stats for the Vanquisher, AB list, etc, so you can probably get a hold of them. (I don't know, it's just that you mentioned it.) Using AT shells, every plain Leman Russ becomes a baby vanquisher. It's wonderful. It's beautiful. It's a slight loop-hole in the rules.
I agree with all your other points, bud. Especially the one about how people recoil in horror and hide their wallets when they hear the words 'Forge World', but Leman Russ AT ammunition is far from Vanquisher standard. It just hits using the vehicles BS rather than roll scatter dice. It's useful, certainly, and I think it just about puts the Battle Cannon on a par with the Lascannon, but it definitely doesn't make baby Vanquishers out of your entire army. No loop-hole there.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2007, 01:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks Tom that is exactly what I was looking for. Your explanation of the precieved high points cost was excellent. It isn't such a bad deal. I like the idea of nuking a landraider from across the table. The FW upgrade isn't that expensive.