Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting my first Guard Army slightly odd lists
Old 23 Jan 2007, 11:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Starting my first Guard Army slightly odd lists

Hello all you gamers of plastic madness,

I have recently succumbed to the wonders of the Guard. A cruel cruel friend got me a sentinel for xmas and now i HAVE to get 2000pts of Guard... course... i got him a crisis suit and the addiction has bit him too.. so fair is fair.

Im tempted by 2 lists, both doctrines styles.

The first would be a conscript list.
3x 50 conscripts w/5 flamers and an independent commissar (with power fist).
3xGrenadiers melta plas.
HQ with grenade launchers
3xSentinels multis
2x leman russ
3 more sents with multis
more or less it really.

I quite like the numbers and need to kill LOADS of time with painting. And i really like painting so thats a good thing.

The other list... is no less prohibitive in $$...
HQ with heroic snr officer and Master Vox mounted in chimera
3x sents with autocannons
3x Grenadiers with plas and melta in units of 8 all mounted in chimeras
3x Storm Troopers same as above
2x Inquisitorial ST same as above but in rhinos with pintle storm bolters

and either 3 more sentinels with multis or a leman russ.

What do you think would be more fun to play and do i have a cats chance in a snowshoe factory of winning with either?

cheers!

p

-edited to make legal
Old 23 Jan 2007, 12:01   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Starting my first Guard Army slightly odd lists

okay, as far as im aware the first list is illegal - you can only take one unit of conscripts with each regular platoon.

Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2007, 12:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

lol oops ya your right... well then i reckon after a juggle ill reedit this list thx!

p
Old 23 Jan 2007, 15:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

for your grenadiers/storm troopers i recommend doubling up the special weapon instead of mixing them. ie: instead of 3 squads, each with a plas and melta, 2 squads with 2 plasguns, one with 2 meltas.

the mech list sounds pretty nifty! meched out stormtroopers aren't that common!

the massive inf list also is pretty crazy! 150 conscripts!?! thats a lot of guys to cut through! id recommend heavy weapon teams to add some more booom.

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Tauroc/Si..._berserker.gif
HailTheRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2007, 16:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailTheRuss
the massive inf list also is pretty crazy! 150 conscripts!?! thats a lot of guys to cut through! id recommend heavy weapon teams to add some more booom.
Yeah. But the first list isn't legal. With conscripts its the fact your opponent can never kill 'em quick enough. Thats why I like them. Remove the models and continue the charge.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2007, 15:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

genmotty:

dont the 3 grens meet the troop requirements for the conscripts? if not then i got some more juggling to do

cheers

p
Old 28 Jan 2007, 06:06   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hello Genmotty!

First, dont listen when (it will happen eventually) people tell you that conscripts are worthless. A lot of guards vets tryed to convince me NOT to use a conscript heavy army when i started, and im glad i did not.

However, as someone who had the same plan as you when i started playing, listen to me, and do not use3 filled conscripts squads on the table. Not becose it suck. It does not. But for practical reasons.

First, you underestimate the amount of troop that 3 conscripts squad represent. That's not only 150 units, that is 150 bases that will occupy space on the map. For having played with 100 conscripts on the table in my first games, i can tell you that it is very hard to deploy and move effectivly. First, on paper, the unit got good firepower for its price. But in reality, its hard to get every conscripts in a squad in range of your target, and you always have 1/3 or 1/2 of the squad not firing. Then, on paper, the unit is great in melle, the best melle option an imperial general got. But it take a while to properly surround the ennemy and each turn, 1/3 to 1/2 of the models cannot act. Finally, the commissar cost make smaller but more numerous squads less cost effective.

If you want to use conscripts, you have to understand their best uses: Serving as an exellent meatshield, serving as an exellent speed bump, and serving as an exellent melle force when needed. (They also are an exellent ''points bank'', as getting points for them is nearly impossible for the ennemy).

However, you will not kill stuff with your conscripts. You will slow them down, make them waste their shots, make them waste their powerfull units on junk, ''lock'' them in an endless melle. But they wont kill vehicules and a smart opponent will avoid shooting them. If you do that list, your smart opponent will ignore your conscripts and focus with heavy bolters and assault cannons on your grenadiers, sentinels and only your two leeman russ will remain to provide firepower.
Archimede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2007, 21:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Archimede:

Thank you for the excellent advice! i think i will have to take it... not only to save on the painting time but to perhaps afford a few more fun things for the army list!

cheers

p
Old 29 Jan 2007, 00:13   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The best use i make out of conscripts is with a single unit of 50, or with two units of 30 or 33.

I did not master the way to use them offensively at their best at 1500pts. At 2k pts, you put 50 of them with Yarrick and send them charging, making sure Yarrick get at the opposite side of anyone with a power first.

But defensivly, you are allowed to put them in a very long line 2 conscripts thick in front of the rest of your army. Not only do they then force ''target priority test'' for ennemy infantry, but an assault team trying to charge trough the line will have them ''consolidate'' forever. Preventing nasty melle stuff to ignore them and go for your more expensive troops. You just LOVE conscripts when you are fighting tyrannids.
Archimede is offline   Reply With Quote