Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tactica Imperium
Closed Thread
Old 02 Mar 2005, 20:12   #21 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Tactica Imperium

Carapace is a waste against Tau as well... I'd rather buy more Heavy Weapons and win with ease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 02 Mar 2005, 21:36   #22 (permalink)
Shas'El

Still...I take it anyways...just becuase I've had one too many command squads mowed down by 48 pulse rifle shots! :'(
Old 02 Mar 2005, 22:50   #23 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Dude.. 48 shots! Your group is dead anyway...

Hail Olianus Pious! Patron Saint of the Imperial Guard! Savior of the Emperor!
Old 03 Mar 2005, 16:12   #24 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian_1369
Dude.. 48 shots! Your group is dead anyway...
Actually not true! My Senior Officer and his squad once came underfire from 48 Tau Pulse rifle shots...only my special weapon guy died! Lets here it for snake eyes!
Old 04 Mar 2005, 21:28   #25 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Well lucky you... now can we keep all further posts related to the Tactica?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 05 Mar 2005, 16:44   #26 (permalink)
Shas'El

I had one of the better IG players at the LA Battle Bunker try the following tactic on my Ork Footsloggers and it seemed very effective.

He advanced towards me (he got the top of turn one). He roared his loaded Chimera (3) right through my lines while firing on my Boyz with a row of Heavy Bolters from the back. His Guard advanced forward and tied me up in combat after a couple of rounds of heavy Bolter shooting. He then assaulted. I eventually cut down the models in front of my Orks, but then his Chimeras unloaded troops to my rear. I eventually cut them down but at this point I had so few troops left that I couldn't make it 18 inches to the row of Heavy Bolters that had their back backs to the board edge. A Double Whammy. Not a bad tactic to use.

Best Regards,

Old 05 Mar 2005, 18:13   #27 (permalink)
Shas'O

maybe it was an accident..
Old 28 May 2005, 10:28   #28 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Many of the tactics Wargamer suggests are not a fesible idea whilst playing catachans (unless their norm IG rules and not deathworld).
I shall do a tactica later on the ways of the catachan! ;D
Old 13 Jun 2005, 11:18   #29 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

[b][i]Death world Catachan Tactica- from the codex beginning to end.......

The Catachan as a whole.
Summery
Catachan is a planet covered by swarming jungles and the most vicious and deadly
of plants and animals. Those who live on the planet are tough, strong and brave individuals with
impressive skill and determination when faced with an unseen enemy in the midst of heavy
jungles.
As a Catachan player it is impervious you comply to the history of these hard fighters.
Stories can work to your advantage in finding ways to destroy you enemy and aid your cause.
Fluff and written items on the 'history' of the army can give you hints and tips on using the two
Special characters, Sly Marbo and 'Iron Hand' Straken, and teach you in the use of squads
and tactics of jungle warfare.
As a subdivision of the Imperial Guard forces, Catachan use similar tactics and
advantages, such as numbers and mass amounts of las fire, and put them to good use in the
jungle.

Selecting your army.
How to plan the perfect army.
The HQ- your Leader.
Depending on how your going to play your going to want the most effective HQ choice
you can get. For a basic list and army your best unit choice will most likely be the Captain with
either a 4 man entourage or 2 lieutenants (more below). Your weapon choices for these guys
will be most suited to a close combat role or even a support team with a couple of heavy
weapons and a comm-link.
For a more adept army like a Combat Patrol you'll want a close combat choice. A
Colonel or Captain with power fist will fit this nicely. Still taking the entorouge though. A
comm-link will be a good choice for any HQ selection.
Heavy weapon HQ teams should be backed up by at least 1 form of power weapon
or assault weapon. It is imperative you diverse your choice for maximum fighting efficiency.
A large army will want a colonel and a captain as a second choice with a retinue.
your choices should be well versed in all aspects and be versatile depending on your situation.
If you feel like Colonel Straken for a HQ choice make sure to use him to the best of
his (your) ability. Get close and blow stuff away with shotgun fire or assault and pummel some
faces with a bionic arm, its up to you. Still keep some support with him. even a captain or two.
If you choose to take sentinels in your army a Techpreist (see codex: Imperial Guard)
will come in handy but is not compulsory and useless if you don't take vehicles.
Awards and medals can come in handy for anything you want them for. Take these as
you choose but remember they cost a decent amount to use, must be used correctly and
taken wisely.

HQ entourage selection.
For an entourage led by a Captain:
-4 veterans with special weapons and comm-link.
-4 veterans forming 2 heavy weapon teams (give your officer a comm-link).
-2 Lieutenants with power fists or power weapons. 2 veterans with assault weapons.
-2 Lieutenants with power fists or power weapons. 2 veterans forming a weapons team.
-2 Lieutenants with power fists or power weapons. 1 veterans with assault weapon. 1
Techpreist Enginseer with power weapon. (assume there are sentinels in the army)

A colonels retinue:
-4 veterans with special weapons and comm-link.
-4 veterans forming 2 heavy weapon teams (give your officer a comm-link).
-2 Lieutenants with power fists, bolters, power weapons. 2 veterans special weapons
-2 Captains with bolters power weapons.
-2 captains with power weapons/fists. 2 veterans forming a heavy weapon team
-1 captain with power weapon. 2 lieutenants with assault weapons. 1 veteran
* * with special weapon.
-2 Lieutenants with power fists or power weapons. 1 veterans with assault weapon. 1
Techpreist Enginseer with power weapon. (assume there are sentinels in the army)

Any where:
-Give 1-2 veterans (or otherwise) a medkit and/or Comm-link.
-Include some hard hitting close combat items. e.g. power fists, power swords etc.
-Have at least one special weapon of any description. if in jungle go for a flamer.
A basic list guide for HQ selection.
Captain's retinue:
Captain- Power fist, Bolter, Frag grenades, crimson medallion.
4 Man entourage:
- 2 veterans forming a missile launcher team.
- 1 lieutenant- power sword and blot pistol
- 1 veteran- flamer.
-All - frag grenades.

Captains retinue:
Captain- Power sword, Bolter, Frag grenades, bionics
4 Man entourage:
-3 veterans- 2x shotguns, 1x flamer
-1 lieutenant- power sword, plasma pistol
-All - frag grenades

Colonel and an entourage:
Colonel- Shotgun, Bionics, crimson medallion, power sword.
2 man entourage
2 x captains- Bolter and power fist, bionics
-All - frag grenades
Always remember too keep your HQ choices in an advantages position and out of the line of
fire until your up close and personnel!.

Elite's- The warriors and mayhem creators.
For a feel of strength and great tactical sensation throughout your army be sure to
fill up elite choices. Guide to how many you use: less then 1000 - 1 choice
* * 1001-2000 - 2 choices
* * 2001+ - 3 choices.
Or alternately for a more advanced and adaptable army:
* * less then 1000 - 1 choice
* * 1001-1500- 2 choices
* * 1501+ - 3 choices
Obviously this depends on how your going to be playing your specific army. This is
just a guide. for more in depth and specialized army take as many as you feel necessary. If
you plan on playing on a board with more then 75% jungle then take close combat or assault
oriented teams to help you stay alive. Snipers will help if shooting straight along a clearing or
down a path.
Combat patrol is a nightmare for trying to fit Elite choices into your list (unless the
choice is snipers.) But they are the best unit types you could take in most circumstances.
The assault squad will most likely want to be your first choice for any army. 1 or 2 snipers don't
go astray either. (take snipers when you have points left over or need some ranged weapons)
Devils are a great choice for larger more versatile armies and being able to
ambush is another tactic to think about when your doing up a list. How much (ambush and
terrain), where, why, what effect, when and If- are the things you must consider for a squad
that are able to ambush. Devils can be equipped with most weapons and a a very versatile choice.
The ability for a squad to take an officer is also a handy prospect. his skill can come in at the
most opportune of times like in assault and his unusual amount of wounds make him more
or less live longer.
Sly marbo should only be taken if you know what your doing and how your going to do
it. being the 1 man army he is the strongest of your available troops. his abilities would be best
left to larger games or if your like me and know what's best and when to use him. This is hard
to explain but will come with experience. The fact he fits into a sniper slot is useful as thus
you can take 2 snipers and him as a single elite's choice.
Devising your Elite choices.
As above with choosing how many slots your going to use. And basing it on the most cost
effective way to lay out the choice.
1000 point army choices:
Choice 1
-Assault squad veteran Sergeant- Plasma pistol, Power sword, melta-bombs.
-5 assault veterans- 1x Flamers, 2x Shotgun, 1x Plasma gun, 1x Demo charge,
Krak grenades.
Choice 2
-2x veteran snipers.

1001-2000 or 1001- 1500 points
Choice 1
-Assault squad veteran Sergeant- Plasma pistol ,Power sword, bionics, melta-bombs.
-5 assault veterans- 1x Flamers, 1x Plasma gun, 2x Demo charge, 1x Melta-gun
Choice 2
-Devil vet. Sergeant- Crimson medallion, Bolt pistol, Power sword, melta-bomb
-5 Devil veterans- 2x Auto pistols, 1x Plasma gun, 1x grenade launcher, 1x shotgun.

1501+ or 2001+ points:
Choice 1
-Assault squad veteran Sergeant- Plasma pistol ,Power sword, bionics, melta-bombs.
-5 assault veterans- 1x Flamers, 1x Plasma gun, 2x Demo charge, 1x Melta-gun
Choice 2
* * * * * * * * -Devil vet. officer- Crimson medallion, Bionics, Bolt pistol, Power fist, Refractor field,
melta-bomb
-5 Devil veterans- 2x Auto pistols, 1x Plasma gun, 1x grenade launcher, 1x shotgun.
Choice 3
* * * * * * * * -3x veteran snipers.
60 pts
As a versatile and important part of any army your Elite's are you backbone and
almost hold your army together. With the abilities to hold out on there own and stop
offensives. Your Elite choices are a great asset to your force and to your tactical
advantages.

Troops- The heart of your army.
The troops from the heart of your army. There diversity and power are your greatest
hope in a game where your numbers will bolster a certain victory. Basic lists incorporate troops
into 6 slots which are not necessarily needed but will come in handy if you lust like infantry.
These choices can be dictated anyway you choose and any number you feel necessary.
How you play with them is your choice. a simple guide will be given below.
Lots of fire power and a close combat touch, make the troop a unique but numbered
by many, unit with allot value. For maximum efficiency fully equip your teams with all they need
including grenades and special weapons. DO NOT take heavy weapons in a troop choice as it
will only slow you down and encumber the squad. Your best idea will be take special weapons
and as many of them as you can take. The only heavy weapons you should take will be in a fire
support team.
You Captain/Lieutenant will be part of a main squad and not in a command team
separate from the main platoons. Ogryns and other specialized types of units cant hurt to take
either.
Simple set up of a few troop platoons.
These are just samples of what can be done with a troop choice.
Choice 1
-Squad 1 lieutenant-Power fist and plasma pistol.
5 man veteran squad- flamer, frag grenades, las pistols and close combat weapons.
-Squad 2 Veteran Sgt- close combat weapon and bolt pistol.
9 man veteran squad- las guns, frag grenades, melta-gun
-Squad 3 Veteran Sgt- close combat weapon and bolt pistol.
9 man veteran squad- las guns, frag grenades, plasma gun
-Squad 4 Veteran Sgt- close combat weapon and bolt pistol.
9 man veteran squad- las pistols and close combat weapons, frag grenades, flamer
-4 man fire support team- 1x heavy bolter, 1x auto cannon.
Choice 2
-Squad 1 lieutenant-Power sword and* bolter.
5 man veteran squad- flamer, frag grenades, Las guns
-Squad 2 Veteran Sgt- close combat weapon and bolt pistol.
9 man veteran squad- las guns, frag grenades, melta-gun
-Squad 3 Veteran Sgt- close combat weapon and bolt pistol.
9 man veteran squad- las guns, frag grenades, grenade launcher
-Squad 4 Veteran Sgt- close combat weapon and bolt pistol.
9 man veteran squad- las pistols and close combat weapons, frag grenades, flamer
-4 man fire support team- 1x heavy bolter, 1x auto cannon.
Choice 3
-Ogryn bone 'ead- Crimson medallion, bionics.
9 man ogryn squad 1.
-Ogryn bone 'ead- Crimson medallion
5 man ogryn squad 2.
5 man ogryn squad 3.
5 man ogryn squad 4.

Fast Attack- how you get in there cheap and effectively.
It does not matter how many fast attack choices are recommended for an army just don't
go over you limit. If you like the appeal of sentinels take as many as you wish. I personally do
not have a guide on how to select your choices according to your armies standing other then
this: if your low on troops take patrol squads over sentinels. Pack your patrols with as much as possible
The ability of you patrols to ambush will be a great asset and a lovely addition to your
already brilliant army. Sentinels are the only armor a Catachan force can take in a basic army.
Use the sentinel to its peak performance and don't be afraid to get them into the thick of it as
there cheap and effective in combat with there Chain saw warrior rule.
How to devise your fast attack.
Army 1:
Choice 1
-3 sentinels- 1x multi-laser, 2x heavy flamers, 3x camo netting, 3x search lights
Choice 2
-Patrol sergeant- bolt pistol and CC weapon, frag grenades
3 man patrol team- melta-gun, frag grenades

Army 2:
Choice 1
-3 sentinels- 1x heavy flamer, 1x multi-laser, 1x auto cannon, camo netting.
Choice 2
4 man patrol team- plasma gun, frag grenades
Choice 3
4 man patrol team- grenade launcher, frag grenades

Army 3:
Choice 1
-3 sentinels- 1x auto cannon, 1x heavy flamer, 1x multi-laser, 3x camo netting
Choice 2
-3 sentinels- 1x multi-laser, 1x heavy flamer, 1x auto cannon, 3x camo netting
Choice 3
-3 sentinels- 3x heavy flamers, 3x camo netting, 3x search lights
Keep your fast attack moving or if a patrol is in ambush keep them there until such time as they
will be needed.

Heavy support- BOOM BOOM your dead......
heavy support choices are easy to select, you either want traps or you dont. But traps
are a great benefit especially if set near the enemy deployment zone. There effects will cause
major trouble for the enemy that stepped on it and in some cases the rest of his squad. Traps
can be set anywhere on the board and will proove difficult to find as well.
Motars on the other hand provide a hidden disturbance and deter the enemy from going
to certain areas or making full scale assaults. The power of a mortar isnt great but will whipe
the floor with most swarm armies (i.e. Nids and Orks).
BOOM factor setup.
Choice 1
-1x shredder mine, 1x plasma charge, 1x spring mine
Choice 2
-3x normal trap
choice 3
-6 man veteran team forming 3 mortar teams.
DO NOT move your mortar squads, even if in direct threat of assault of being blow to hell
and back. just dont move them and keep firing. as for traps remember where you put em and
all will be well for you and the souls of your enemy.

part 2:
the ways of jungle survival and fighting coming soon to cinemas
part 3:
fighting in jungle terrain and your guide to killing the enemy coming after part2. video and dvd only
Old 16 Jun 2005, 12:02   #30 (permalink)
Shas'O

Nice JD you should make your own thread for it though.
Closed Thread