Send a message via MSN to The Lost Waywatcher
Default Trait Question

So I want an elite army(big surprise). So I have taken the following traits:
  • Grenadiers
  • Forest(Jungle) Fighters
  • Light Infantry
  • Special Weapons Squads
  • Storm Troopers

Now, I was wondering, could I give my troop slot stormtroopers the perks and ilperks of the other traits, like give them a sniper in their squad? Or do I just have to make a platoon of guard and do that ???
Simply put - paint your damn minis! ;D

Old 21 Jan 2007, 04:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke
Default Re: Trait Question

I'm pretty sure that the storm troopers taken as troops choices follow almost the same rules as the storm troopers taken as elites choices. So, pretty much whatever an elite trooper can do, a troop trooper can. From what I see, the only difference is that once can deep strike/infiltrate and one can't.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Old 21 Jan 2007, 05:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to THE LORD

if you use grenadiers you dont have to pay the doctrine point to use storm troppers i belive
check the GW f.a.q as it may of changed
Because I lied, and they all died

Boy racer, crashed, caught, fined and gone
Old 21 Jan 2007, 07:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I thought you couldn't take storm troopers with light infantry?

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 08:42   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

No. you can take light infantry with grenadiers and storm Troopers.

And in answer to the question: No, you can't. As someone already said they count as regular storm troopers, just can't deep strike or infiltrate. And since stormies don't count as guard infnatry (check your codex) then the grenadiers don't either.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 12:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE LORD
if you use grenadiers you dont have to pay the doctrine point to use storm troppers i belive
check the GW f.a.q as it may of changed
Since Nightmare has already answered the question, I shall address the above.

Grenadiers represent an elite version of the regiment's regular infantry, whereas Storm Troopers are Imperial Troops assigned to a regiment in the field. So you could take the Grenadiers doctrine and field Storm Troopers as Troops choices, but you wouldn't be allowed to take them as Elites. Not that that's a real drawback (unless you particularly wanted them to deepstrike), in fact as far as I'm concerned, it makes the 'Storm Troopers' doctrine redundant.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 15:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I won't even bother to address the fluff difference between stormies and grennies - the only game dif is that elite stormtroopers can deepstrike or infiltrate, while grennies dont have the option... and you dont need the stormies doctrine unless you wish to take them as elites to have those cool little deploy options... grenadiers doctrine is usually a way to make an elite army focused around the heavy and fast attack force options by minimizing the number of points spent on troop slots.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 15:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Wait so if you take Grenadiers yo ucan't take Elite Stormies? :-\
Old 21 Jan 2007, 16:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Terras Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'El GeekyGator
Take the Grenadier doctrine, and you can take up to 3 squads of grenadiers as troop choices.

Take the Storm trooper doctrine, and you can take up to 3 squads of storm troopers as elites choices.

Take both the Grenadier and Storm Trooper doctrines, and you can take up to 3 squads of grenadiers as troop choices and up to 3 squads of storm troopers as elite choices.

Really, it's that simple. Why do people always this so hard? Yes, it is possible to interpret both the codex and the FAQs differently, but it would only take about three brain cells to figure out what is really meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Banished Ranger
Now, I was wondering, could I give my troop slot stormtroopers the perks and ilperks of the other traits, like give them a sniper in their squad? Or do I just have to make a platoon of guard and do that ???
Page 55 of your 'dex. Grenadiers are not classified as Guard Infantry, as stated by Nightmare.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 19:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra's Guard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'El GeekyGator
Take the Grenadier doctrine, and you can take up to 3 squads of grenadiers as troop choices.

Take the Storm trooper doctrine, and you can take up to 3 squads of storm troopers as elites choices.

Take both the Grenadier and Storm Trooper doctrines, and you can take up to 3 squads of grenadiers as troop choices and up to 3 squads of storm troopers as elite choices.

Really, it's that simple. Why do people always this so hard? Yes, it is possible to interpret both the codex and the FAQs differently, but it would only take about three brain cells to figure out what is really meant.
Hear, hear. But then if people were capable of understanding this stuff as written, these forums would be pretty much redundant.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Closed Thread