Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Imperial Guards +5 amour save.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 12:07   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Imperial Guards +5 amour save.

well I've haven't got time to look at the codex (only quick quick skim), and I've been very busy lately, but I've seen that the imperial guards have around 4-5+ amour save, I'm not posting this topic to tease them, but i really know why they have that amour save when the usuall amour save is 3+, thanks.

Their number is legion, Their name is death.

"The Tyranids are the most horrifying for their thoroughness. They do not defeat you. They devour you and strip you of everything. Even your soul is just fodder to these beasts..."
[][Necron][] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2007, 12:17   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Imperial Guards +5 amour save.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [
[Necron][] link=topic=38179.msg1058203619#msg1058203619 date=1169039271]
well I've haven't got time to look at the codex (only quick quick skim), and I've been very busy lately, but I've seen that the imperial guards have around 4-5+ amour save, I'm not posting this topic to tease them, but i really know why they have that amour save when the usuall amour save is 3+, thanks.
Well, fluffwise I am not too sure. But the reason why the gun and the armour iof the imperial guard is known to the 40k circle as 'torchlight and t-shirt' stems from this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2007, 12:21   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by [

Now that, dude, is hilarious. The "usual" armour save in 40k is supposed to be 5+, and the average baseline stats should be 3's, but due to GW's ramming of marines down peoples throats, and the fact everyone has them, this is why you came to this conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2007, 12:22   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Imperial Guard are the only army in 40K with "normal" stats.

Any stat that is superior to a Guardsman's is better than average, and vice-versa.

The only reason 3+ is considered "Normal" is that Power-Armour armies are far too common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2007, 12:52   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

With Conscripts being the base-line for most Imperial citizens. Guardsmen are men who have trained for a year or so and can fight reasonably well. Conscripts are just given a gun, armour, and a 10-minute video instructing them how not to die if they have a hope in hell of saving themselves from "friendly-fire" incidents involving Comissars .
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2007, 15:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Actually, if anything, the Imperial Guard can be considered the "elite" of the Imperium to a certain extent. The basic guys are all in the Planetary Defence Forces. And no, they're not trained for a year. In the Guard, troops train almost every day for the rest of their lives until they either die or are decommissioned.

EDIT: Also, a 5+ save is better than any personal body armour we have today.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2007, 16:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

I'd say that a conscript is "average" and a guardsman is a "trained" soldier. stormtroopers and veterans would be the "elite"

marines are "super elite" and have the same armour as a house.

since most armies don't go to battle with everything and te kitchen sink literaly a +3 save is not average
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2007, 18:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well let's analyze. (If I get any wrong, let me know)

Eldar:5+/4+
Orks:6+/5+
Dark Eldar:6+/5+(Only experiance is Wych cult)
Imperial Guard:5+
'Nids:5+
Tau:4+
Necrons:3+
Chaos:3+
Marines:3+
WH:3+
DH:3+

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2007, 19:33   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

3+ armour saves usually involve having armour made of metal. This is often quite heavy. As said before, guardsmen would be wearing lighter armour (flak) because of their inexperience on the battlefield. Likewise, Space Marines have been training for decades and have their bodies genetically modified. Since Storm Troopers are more "elite" they would wear more powerful armour because of their importance and the fact that you want your elites to survive longer.

Taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2007, 19:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by [
the average armor save is 3+???

look at that analysis in the above post... there are about many armies with 5+ or 6+ as there are 3+... its just that so many people play the 3+ armies (cowards!) that it seems like it is rare.

go back to yer monolith robot freak! of course i'm teasing...

but you are correct man, the 5+ save is weak, but its supposed to be weak... the idea being that humans are outclassed by virtually everything in the galaxy... giant alien horrors and things-man-was-not-meant-to-know.

tell you what... i know why you have the 'i'll be back' rule... because otherwise we would gun you down so fast you would quit playing forever out of frustration. THAT's really why we get the bum save. if not, our cheap masses of big guns would have everybody crying 'no fair! no fair!'. they have to be easy to kill because there are so many of them.

but i wont complain about my flak armor when my wall of unbelievable firepower opens up on your robot zombies over and over. get back up again I dare ya!

btw my record against necrons is 3-0

:P 8) >
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote