Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

basilisks
Old 16 Jan 2007, 12:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default basilisks

hmm..
i personally own a basilisk and used it in a small 750 points tournament..
apparently it did not kill much( scattered), killed fantastically( 9 necron warriors in a turen ) or just attracted enemy fire like a fly to light..
so, i was wondering, is the basilisk really worth its points and how should i properly use it?

sigged by DRobot

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying". -Oscar Wilde

"When it comes to thought, some people stop at nothing".-unknown

"we're not retreating; we're advancing in another direction"-General Douglas MacArthur
Grey Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2007, 13:38   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: basilisks

if you give the basilisk an armoured crew compartment you lose the +1 to armour penatration rolls, and i to own a basilisk and i use it as a tank hunter the 25pts you pay for the indirect fire option is not worth it as it limits your fire to 36-240. stick to the 120" range and you will be fine. to date my basilisk has accounted for a monlith, 23 necrons a destroyer, and numerous scarabs in just one game. so take a basilisk dont under estimate them alghought not as heavily armed as a lemans russ it costs less.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 16:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

On a Basilisk, you pay for the potental.

Being on the receiving end side of a basilisk is scary! I prey for the scatter, but if it is right on - it's deadly!

I don't think it buys it's points back but it does change my tactics. My troops are more spread out. No mass build up of troops in one area for a massed attacked.
So basically it causes me to change my plans. My opponent uses this to his advantage so then it becomes a real battle with no massed firefights, but smaller skirmishes across the board.

I think its more of a psychological weapon than an effective weapon.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2007, 16:37   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Imperial general: You can still use the normal range if your purchase indirect fire.

Pay attention to the "may" part
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2007, 17:04   #5 (permalink)
General Stupidity

The Basilisk does have its uses, but I myself would just splash out and get a Russ. If you use Basilisks you need to be playing on a big board, if you take Indirect fire the min. range you can fire is "36 inches, to me Basilisks look like fun to use, but when you want to get serious, your best of with Russes.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 17:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I agree with everything that's been said here. One thing that really winds me up is the way the 36" minimum indirect fire range forces players to put their Basilisk in the corner of the table...it just looks stupid there. To counter the problem to a certain degree, my brother and I have a agreement that the minimum range is decreased to 30" and the Basilisk must be deployed 6" clear of the table edge. In retrospect, this seems a little unfair because it makes it an easier target, but it's only 6" closer so he's not fussed. Basilisks certainly have their uses, especially on a cluttered battlefield. Leman Russes are superior vehicles for face to face marine slaying, but the Basilisk doesn't need to get line of sight to do it. The Leman Russes pie plate will scatter just as much as an indirectly fired earthshaker shell (so long as it is moving), but an Earthshaker shell can be more effectively employed to destroy vehicles. Don't underestimate the ordnance pinning factor too; something the battlecannon just can't do.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2007, 22:01   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare
Imperial general: You can still use the normal range if your purchase indirect fire.

Pay attention to the "may" part
nightmare: i know this and infront of the sentence; "it limits your fire to 36"-240" it should state "it limits your indirect fire range to 36"-240", so you may as well not take it. and please note the scribe who wrote this comment has been sent to the firing squad
Old 16 Jan 2007, 23:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperial general
nightmare: i know this and infront of the sentence; "it limits your fire to 36"-240" it should state "it limits your indirect fire range to 36"-240", so you may as well not take it. and please note the scribe who wrote this comment has been sent to the firing squad
You seem to think it won't get to fire at anything indirectly, but that's just not so. In most games the table might be only 48" across, but players tend to put their Basilisks in the corners so they can fire diagonally across the table. You can get a lot of indirect fire out of a Basilisk; for the first turn or two it can bombard the advancing enemy forces, and then their supporting units in later turns if direct targets do not present themselves. Space Marine Devastators and Whirlwinds are prime targets.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2007, 23:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Don't forget the hull heavybolter, it can do some damage.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 23:34   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I find the basilisk quite deadly. In games where I've played against it, it has destroyed most of my army (necrons) in the first 3 turns. I think the basilisk is a good choice, even at its point cost.

Taters is offline   Reply With Quote