Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Forgeworld Flyers
Old 15 Jan 2007, 11:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aquila_XV8
Default Forgeworld Flyers

Tomorrow I am ordering a flyer from forgeworld. I'm not too sure on which one it will be yet but I am sure that I want a flyer.

I'm tossing up between a Thunderbolt, a Valkyrie and a Vulture. God knows I want a marauder Destroyer but its very costly.

The Thunderbolt is my favourite by looks, closely followed by the vulture. They all cost around the same points wise due to the way I am equipping them. So I need some advice and opinions. What do you think is the best in game terms, and What model is your favourite aesthetically?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Welcome to the Navy, Chevron.

Longest Ever Maiden Chain: 55
Aquila_XV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2007, 11:17   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Forgeworld Flyers

The Thunderbolt is truly godly. It is also probably the worst in terms of combat-efficiency, but if that's what you're after you shouldn't be buying from Forgeworld!

The Thunderbolt is best against armour by far; though it has a fair bit of firepower, it's frankly wasted against anything but small, high-cost targets. The Valkyrie and Vulture, on the other hand, can easily be modified for "anti-mob" combat, spewing out massive amounts of low-strength firepower.

If I had to choose, however, I would always choose a Thunderbolt. The Valkyrie is gorgeous, the Vulture is more attractive than a week-long pass at the Playboy Mansion, but there's a reason, when I received Aeronautica Imperials, that I hugged it like a woman, and that's the Thunderbolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2007, 11:36   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

You know, I did the same thing with mine....

Go for the 'bolt, it is one of the most beautiful and amazing aircraft, and models made. As said, its not a knockout ruleswise, but you don't go to forgeworld for all powerful models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2007, 11:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks guys thats exactly what I needed to hear.

Quote:
but there's a reason, when I received Aeronautica Imperials, that I hugged it like a woman, and that's the Thunderbolt.
Quote:
it is one of the most beautiful and amazing aircraft, and models made.
And you've got that right, the Thunderbolt is downright sexay.

Tomorrow, the Thunderbolt is mine

Quote:

Old 15 Jan 2007, 17:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Bear in mind a Vulture is more aptly suited to a close air support role, whereas a Thunderbolt is an air superiority fighter first and foremost. The Thunderbolt may be bristling with heavy dakka and is well suited to attacking the rear armour of enemy vehicles (a massive advantage to deploying fighters) but it's expensive by comparison and less flexible than a Vulture. A Vulture may not pack the sort of straight AT firepower boasted by the Thunderbolt, but it makes up for it with the options available (including upgrading to smart bombs). It can be a flying fortress of death if you want, costing just shy of 300 points or it can be as cheap as 100, depending on how much you want to spend on it and the size of the game you're playing. The Vulture also has better armour, which will help you batter your way through the inevitable sponson Heavy Bolter fire, and it can enter VTOL hover mode for an extra turn of shooting (or remain in that state all game if you're feeling brave I suppose).
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2007, 21:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

VTOL is just asking t get shot down though, isn't it? I mean now you're hit on their basic BS and your enemy can assault with jump packs/fly.

The only advantage I see (whatever flyer I get it will be fore taking down armour) is better armour, but the Thunderbolt is suited for the job with all of its TL weaponry and hellstrike missles.

Quote:

Old 15 Jan 2007, 21:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevrøn05
VTOL is just asking t get shot down though, isn't it? I mean now you're hit on their basic BS and your enemy can assault with jump packs/fly.

The only advantage I see (whatever flyer I get it will be fore taking down armour) is better armour, but the Thunderbolt is suited for the job with all of its TL weaponry and hellstrike missles.
You'd be surprised how much of a difference that extra 12" range makes. You should only ever enter VTOL in the later stages of the game when the table is not quite so saturated with troops (unless you're feeling lucky). Anything with a 24" range or less can be outmanoeuvred because you get to move after your opponent and you can just park up 12" or more from these sorts of weapons and laugh as you plow into him with all the firepower at your disposal. Another sneaky trick you could try (only in theory mind...I've not tried it myself) is overshooting his tanks to come into a hover behind them. This is unspeakably dangerous at less than 24" (unless the vehicle is shaken) because the enemy vehicle is likely to be armed with 36" range weapons and you'll be exposing your rear armour. The point is, if you can get into this position safely, you can then pivot in your own turn to get a shot at the rear armour facing. It'll probably be unecessary because you could enter from the opposite side of the board and force the vehicle to show his weaker rear armour either to your flyer or to your front line anyway, but it's just a thought that occured to me.

Thunderbolts are cool, and they're definitely the best looking aircraft by far, but I still love Vultures because you can tool them up with six heavy smart bombs. Like Wargamer said, they're infantry killers. For pure tank hunting, the Thunderbolt is the clear choice (even the modern day Thunderbolt is a tank hunter and boasts similar weapons!), but the Vulture offers versatility and will probably see more action than the Thunderbolt because of it.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2007, 08:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I just bought the Thunderbolt. When I receive (2 weeks time) Ill post up pics and show you guys so you can drool over it ;D

Quote:

Old 16 Jan 2007, 08:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I really like the lightning, although I have never had the opportunity to use it in a game.
My WIP Prussian themed Imperial Guard Army - Because you&#39;ve all asked for it!

JAGGED ALLIANCE &#39;09 - Bottled in Scotland (please enjoy responsibly) - Tau Empire
ARCANACON &#39;10 - PWNaVIC - Tau Empire: Veteran Cadre Pegasus - The Dal&#39;yth Oldbloods
BAMBASH - Shas&#39;El von Richthofen&#39;s Flying Circus - Tau Empire - Allied with Imperial Guard

- I survived the SEBF 24hr Painting Challenge!
- One of the last surviving members of the Blue Lake Battlegroup at Compton Hall :P
Shas O Dalyth Montau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2007, 11:59   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote