Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

sentinels as heavy weapons teams
Closed Thread
Old 13 Jan 2007, 09:01   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default sentinels as heavy weapons teams

sentinels as heavy weapons teams.

i use my sentinels as my heavy weapons teams in my squads. because i was sick of having static imperial guard. so when i use the sentinels as my heavy weapons teams they move six and still fire there wepaons whichc means that my imperial guard are more mobile. whicch comes as a suprise to all my opponents.

what do you think of this tactic
Old 13 Jan 2007, 09:10   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: sentinels as heavy weapons teams

It's been going on for a while, and it is a good idea. a fe faults though: its expensive and they can be destroyed easily. And remeber that it would also mean that your heavy weaponry is more concentrate than in a regular list.

BUT the advantages are: you can pop outa cover and let loose a shot or two, catching your opponent of guard, and as you said you can keep moving which means that your not as static.

But yeah, the tactic is fine if it suits you. Me? i prefer tanks.
Old 13 Jan 2007, 09:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to shasolenzabi

[[[ I use both! Sentinels help compliment my Exterminator/Demolisher/Hellhound! I take a pair like this, Sentinel1=Lascannon, Sentinel2=Autocannon.
Old 13 Jan 2007, 13:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperial general
i use my sentinels as my heavy weapons teams in my squads. because i was sick of having static imperial guard. so when i use the sentinels as my heavy weapons teams they move six and still fire there weapons which means that my imperial guard are more mobile. which comes as a suprise to all my opponents.
Its pretty standard. Some times its better to charge in and tie up units with a sentinel (gaunts come to mind ) however. Most of the time sentinels are great support units. If you keep them with troops, particular behind your troops they don't look like aggressive. Thus they can either a) live longer due to the fact the infantry get shot up first. b) The sentinels get shot and your infantry are left alone. If you are using stormtroops or vets this can be very useful because it prevents your opponent from concentrating firepower.

Additionally it gives the appearance that your squad is firing on the move, thus it looks more dangerous than it really is. This is very useful if your down a flank. It can get your opponent to change their entire plan to deal with two/three squads.

However Lacannon armed sentinels are not that good in my opinion because you are spending alot of points on a one horse trick.

Genmotty
Old 13 Jan 2007, 13:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
...However Lacannon armed sentinels are not that good in my opinion because you are spending alot of points on a one horse trick.
Hehe, I think the phrase you were looking for was 'one-trick pony'.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 14 Jan 2007, 20:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

As far as I have read in the few months I've been reading this site, sentinels are pretty well respected in large numbers because they do hit hard but are easy to kill but if there's too many of them, some will at least get to live and blast away. I personally own only 1 sentinel (and it has chewbacca sticking out the tophatch from time to time - and fully switchable weapon options because I love the model that much) because I love the model. I'm a bit of a 'mech fan (ex battletech player and all) so I just wanted to have the model.

Thing is, despite the conventional wisdom that lots of sentinels is always a good idea, I really learned how to use my single sent well by taking advantage of that 6" move after deployment - it works great with the Macharian Cross to mess up the balance of the board. Use them as sucker-punch snipers with lascannons (or multilas if you want to go after hordes) to hit the biggest thing they can, and probably get gunned down right afterward but hey I would be glad to trade my 40-60 point sentinel for your railhead or chaos lord or carnifex or whatever.

they aren't really that expensive (well at least points-wise) and they are pretty slick... but don't go all out replacing your HW teams with them. a heavy bolter or a flamer or a grenny is a pretty cheap upgrade that vastly improves what your squad can do. have your cake and eat it too... many sentinels, and also cheap weapon upgrades.
Old 14 Jan 2007, 22:00   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

intresting answers, i personnaly go for three teams of two sentinels one with a multi laser and the second with a autocannon. i am a firm beliver in that a lascannon for BS3 imperial guard is a waste of points i much prefer to use a rocket launcher. but with the above configuration i can deal with light to medium armour with out losing to many shots against infantry