Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tech engienseer & Gun servitors for IG
Old 12 Jan 2007, 17:34   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Tech engienseer & Gun servitors for IG

Hey Gang.

I am new to the boards so dont beat up on me to bad if this question was asked previously. ;D

Anyways, in the IG codex I have never 100% got a firm yes or no regarding how many Gun servitors you can take with a Tech Engienseer. It says 4 but if you consult the wargear charts you would be limited based on the max of 50 points or something ?

I am just rebuilding my armys and liked the idea of 2 Techs with some added extra heavy servitors for fire support. At BS4 they are worth it if it is legal to buy them.

So again my question is legaly game wise, can you take 4 gun servitors per Tech or no ?

Any help would be great.

cadian144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2007, 17:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Tech engienseer & Gun servitors for IG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadian144
Hey Gang.

I am new to the boards so dont beat up on me to bad if this question was asked previously. ;D

Anyways, in the IG codex I have never 100% got a firm yes or no regarding how many Gun servitors you can take with a Tech Engienseer. It says 4 but if you consult the wargear charts you would be limited based on the max of 50 points or something ?

I am just rebuilding my armys and liked the idea of 2 Techs with some added extra heavy servitors for fire support. At BS4 they are worth it if it is legal to buy them.

So again my question is legaly game wise, can you take 4 gun servitors per Tech or no ?

Any help would be great.
I'm not sure why you regard this as a grey area to be honest, as I read it from the codex it seems pretty straightforward to me. He can take a maximum of 50 points worth of wargear from the armoury, which includes Servitors, but the description for Servitors tells us he is permitted to take up to four of them in any variety of flavours. This is an exception to the rule that characters may not take duplicate items from the armoury. There is absolutely no reason, as far as I can tell, to assume he can take more than four. An Officer may take up to 100 points of wargear, but does that mean he can take two power swords if he pays for them both? No - He's still not allowed to take more than one of each item, whether he can afford it or not.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2007, 18:02   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to 420Jesus

Although there its not written in a way that seems too obvious after looking at my dex from some time i believe you can take 4 regardless of points cost. I believe this because it states you cannot have more than one plasma-cannon armed servitor(which cost 45pts).
Saying this would be completely pointless if you were restricted to the normal points limits for wargear with servitors because you couldn't even afford any other servitor let alone another plasma-cannon armed servitor
Hope I'm right about this because like i said this is just a logic based hypothesis. I also asked the people at my local GW but i don't trust them because i often find they misinform of certain rules and Ive caught them making big mistakes at games in the shop before
Old 12 Jan 2007, 18:29   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

its at the wargear section where it makes it confusing. Yes he can take 4 servitors, but is that out of the 50 points he is allocated ? this at best will get you 1-2 servitors if you gun them up very heavy.

I just want to know if its possible to take 4 of these guys armed up or not. I am thinking a clarification from the GW boys by phone will be my next step (lol)
Carter
Old 12 Jan 2007, 20:21   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Okay.

Servitors and their tech-priests.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/downloa...d_faq_v4-0.pdf

I think it's the fouth bullet point down in the list: Servitors count towards your gear limit. Meaning that you could only take a max of two gun servitors (if iv'e gotten my numbers right).

So in other words cadian: no.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2007, 21:03   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thats how I was reading it as well. It is a little misleading in the codex.

thanks for the imput
Old 14 Jan 2007, 04:39   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to 420Jesus

Now i feel bad having misled you cadian, sorry.
Old 14 Jan 2007, 09:04   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

I don't really matter:I was under that impression myself before i saw the errata.

And your idea does technically fit. Just not with the rules.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2007, 20:18   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Yup every time I looked at the codex and the wargear I was confused.

If I could have taken 4 servitors I would have, 3 HB & 1 plasma or 2 Hb 1 Multi Melta and a Plasma cannon. It would make for a nice heavy suprise supporting unit.

I like plasma cannons so it may still be worth it to try to fit in 2 of those into a game just to see what they can do and how long they and the Tech can survive. a lot of points however on a small unit.

Anyways guy, I apprecaited the help and the tiome to search out an aswer for me.
Carter
Old 27 Jan 2007, 14:50   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Ok, then I've got a question for GW, why would they say "servitors do not count twards the Enginseer's wargeer limit" and then, in the FAQ, change it?
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote