Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sentinels: How to use?
Closed Thread
Old 10 Jan 2007, 22:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Sentinels: How to use?

Yes, that day has come, ladies and gentlemen! Generalissimo Stankov has ACTUALLY employed fast attack!

One Cadian Pattern Sentinel, courtesy of my loving brother, Brian. Painted in weathered Codex grey and fully outfitted with an urban base, this guy is itching for a fight...

Problem is, with zero experience with fast and weak units, what the heck am I supposed to do?

Sure, I can take any Leman or Chimera pattern tank made and find a use... I'm a treadhead! It's what I do! But something tells me tanks tactics simply won't work in this situation...

So, I come to you guys. I know a lot of members here use Sentinels on a regular basis, and a few who play Elysian use a LOT!

I only have one, and it might stay that way, so I need tips.

If it helps, I run a 3000 point IG with a Demolisher, a Vanquisher, an Exterminator, and a regular old Leman Russ. Also, I use a Griffon, a Basilisk, and a Chimera.
I have 2 infantry platoons, and a very powerful Command HQ that usually cruises into battle in the Chimera.

So, any tips at all?

Thanks so much!
Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 10 Jan 2007, 23:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Sentinels: How to use?

I would plan on hiding it in a "Hull Down" situation, and just taking pot shots.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 23:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

Fill up one to two units (3+3) of them. Three with autocannons and three with lascannons.
Deploy them into a good terrain piece, or divide them with one on each flank of the table. Use the "free move" to get in position.
They are magnificent tankhunters with both lascannon and autocannon.
And they kill infantry quite easily as well. Only trouble is horde-armies, but they have the range to avoid the small ones, and concentrate on the larger targets.
If you equip them for anti-infantry, go with the multilaser. Great range and strength. I have never used the flamer, ever. You have like one shot with it, and then being tied up in combat. I'd rather take a lot more shots with an ML.

They are not to be underestimated in combat either. Their AV 10 are great to tie up light infantry, without any/or low risk of getting blasted in return.
I one held up two full squads of Gaunts for an entire game with them.

Also, a great tactic is as drop troops. Deep strike them into a nasty place, and you might take your opponent by surprise.

Sentinels are a great addition to any Imperial Guard force. Be it either Armored companies or with standard footsloggers.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 16:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

...Ooh!...Someone has decided to ask my advice on sentinels...

Well sentinels can be used in three main ways.

1) Supporting fire.
Sentinels can always do this. You are basically using it as a mobile heavy weapons team. Best with the Autocannon for the damage and range. If you are using them like this stick them behind some troops to force target priority while being able to pump out shots each turn.

2) CCW
Because of their armour you can tie up GEQ troops in hand-to-hand combat with little chance to damage the vehicle. Additionally they can be a pain in the rear end if they get into a flank or tie up important shooty units. Go with the multi-laz for effect, you will fire it more and doesn't add to the cost of the vehicle.

3) Sneaky
If they are used in support with some storm troops or vets they can do some heavy damage down a flank, mainly because the sentinels get shot up before the troops, allowing them to get within melta range or close enough to charge. remember support here is the key. Without it both units will die.

I will add that numbers are needed. If you have one it will fall quite easily. You need to get others to make them worth their while. You can get up to 12 I think if you go crazy. That would stretch any AT to its max. However do watch out for plasma attacks.

Genmotty
Old 11 Jan 2007, 17:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
...Ooh!...Someone has decided to ask my advice on sentinels...

Well sentinels can be used in three main ways.

1) Supporting fire.
Sentinels can always do this. You are basically using it as a mobile heavy weapons team. Best with the Autocannon for the damage and range. If you are using them like this stick them behind some troops to force target priority while being able to pump out shots each turn.

2) CCW
Because of their armour you can tie up GEQ troops in hand-to-hand combat with little chance to damage the vehicle. Additionally they can be a pain in the rear end if they get into a flank or tie up important shooty units. Go with the multi-laz for effect, you will fire it more and doesn't add to the cost of the vehicle.

3) Sneaky
If they are used in support with some storm troops or vets they can do some heavy damage down a flank, mainly because the sentinels get shot up before the troops, allowing them to get within melta range or close enough to charge. remember support here is the key. Without it both units will die.

I will add that numbers are needed. If you have one it will fall quite easily. You need to get others to make them worth their while. You can get up to 12 I think if you go crazy. That would stretch any AT to its max. However do watch out for plasma attacks.

Genmotty
I disagree with a lot of that;

1) Sentinels are vehicles and so their status as 'large targets' precludes the need for any target priority tests unless there is another large target closer to the shooter.

2) Not sure what you mean about the multi-laser not adding to the cost of the vehicle...it doesn't come as standard; you still have to pay for it like any other weapon.

3) 12 sentinels would cost about 600 points with only basic upgrades between them and could be brought down by Lasguns, never mind AT fire! In order to give them all armoured crew compartments and a useful selection of upgrades and weapons you'd probably be looking at over 800 points. Even then they'd be in units of three so the likes of Shuriken Cannons, Heavy Bolters, and Multi-lasers would slaughter them! I don't think an army composed primarily of sentinels would be competetive; they're just too flimsy. :-\
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 17:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
I disagree with a lot of that;

1) Sentinels are vehicles and so their status as 'large targets' precludes the need for any target priority tests unless there is another large target closer to the shooter.

2) Not sure what you mean about the multi-laser not adding to the cost of the vehicle...it doesn't come as standard; you still have to pay for it like any other weapon.

3) 12 sentinels would cost about 600 points with only basic upgrades between them and could be brought down by Lasguns, never mind AT fire! In order to give them all armoured crew compartments and a useful selection of upgrades and weapons you'd probably be looking at over 800 points. Even then they'd be in units of three so the likes of Shuriken Cannons, Heavy Bolters, and Multi-lasers would slaughter them! I don't think an army composed primarily of sentinels would be competetive; they're just too flimsy. Undecided
Cool man.

On point 1 I see your point. But genrally you may have other vehicles closer to your opponent or you are using your infantry as a screen so that they are not being fired at because the enemy is after your walker. If they are behind the troops they don't look like they are that dangerous because they are not being pushed forward (aggressive move).

On point 2 The multi-laz is a cheap weapon, costs less than the Lazcannon or autocannon and so if you lose a walker in combat it's not as big a loss, plus the multi-laz will genrally get more shots off than a heavy flamer.

On point three I did say "You can get up to 12 I think if you go crazy."

It seems like you took my points very literally, when they were only general descriptions of use.

Genmotty
Old 11 Jan 2007, 18:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
It seems like you took my points very literally, when they were only general descriptions of use.
Yeah I did, you're right. Sorry.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 18:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, I run a 1k army of Elysian and I have only two Sentinels. Lately I have been using my Vulture but the Sentinels so work.

Fragile

Yes, you can work around that. My list lets me run one with Hvy Bolter and I run a second as either MultiMelta or a Multilple Rocket Launcer.

I keep them in the back to add fire support to my support units. The scout move on the heavy bolter (you could use the MultiLaser) sentinel allows me to adjust to my oppenent to add fire power where I need it. The Melta Sentinel helps keep the tanks at bay.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 11 Jan 2007, 18:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf-Tau
Well, I run a 1k army of Elysian and I have only two Sentinels. Lately I have been using my Vulture but the Sentinels so work.

Fragile

Yes, you can work around that. My list lets me run one with Hvy Bolter and I run a second as either MultiMelta or a Multilple Rocket Launcer.

I keep them in the back to add fire support to my support units. The scout move on the heavy bolter (you could use the MultiLaser) sentinel allows me to adjust to my oppenent to add fire power where I need it. The Melta Sentinel helps keep the tanks at bay.
I wish I could take Melta sentinels and the Heavy Bolter flavour, but I want my troops to take carapace armour and Autocannons (and possibly even Lascannons if I can figure out a way to miniaturize them), so that's out.

Maybe I'll try a true Elysian list eventually, but my converted Autocannons look damn cool, so I'll probably want to stick with them.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 18:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

Just wondering...
How can a Lasgun take down a Sentinel?
AV10 vs. Max penetration 9
Am I missing something fundamental here?
Closed Thread