Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to IG
Closed Thread
Old 09 Jan 2007, 02:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default New to IG

Im just starting IG and i would like a few tips on tactics and building a solid force. I wan't a big guard army with a lot of guardsmen and many tanks.

Thanks.

If you need any Black templar advice, just PM me. I've got over 4 years of BT experience!
Old 09 Jan 2007, 03:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: New to IG

Lol, thats a pretty typical answer. Now heres some basic army themes

-Heavy Weapons (IG is good at this)
-Armoured Company (all vehicles)
-Mechanized Army (all infantry is placed in a chimera)
-Mass Guardsmen
-Drop Troop
-Light Infantry

Now i dont really know if the above counts but i can give you a start on some of them. Or you can be more specific about what kind of army you want.
Old 09 Jan 2007, 06:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

best advice i can suggest is dont go overboard on upgrades/weapons... just get yer basic lemans and chims, and load up on low-cost squads supported by a hefty hq. that will get you lots of tanks and lots of guys. this may end up being moved to the army lists page but whatever: here's a base to work with

1500 points euro-tourney standard

3 lemans w lascans and heavy bolter sponsons
1 hso + commissar
1 jo w flamer squad and ccw
4-5 squads w missiles/autocans/gls/flams/etc depending on your preference
1 chim for an armored fist squad, flavored to taste (mine go heavy flam x2 but i can see how the multilaser/hbolter pattern is nice too)
1 armored fist squad w cool upgrades like meltagun and vox and vet sgt. etc (since they will often be on their own) - this fills up your 2nd troop req.

1 vet squad or stormie squad as tough and mean as you can make them... and NONE of them should be wielding a lasgun

that'll pretty much do your basic army list of tanks and lots-of-guys, with a little panache for the hq and the vets. but you have to do your own math homework to work it out just how you like it... what little bonuses to add here or there... what wargear stuff yer figures have, etc)
Old 09 Jan 2007, 06:55   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Lets see.

Loads of tanks and infantry?

Okay. Do you want them static or mobile?

If you want them mobile equip yyour regular infantry with grenade launchers, nothing more. If not take up the holy auto cannon.

It might also be wise to concentrate your heavy weaponry into hevy weapon squads attached to the command platoon. And tanks: demolisher and 2 leman russes are what i run. Don't know why. But they do work well together. And maybe a few hell hounds here and there. And chimera storm troopers. And sentinels.
Old 09 Jan 2007, 09:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Lots of hvy weapons and tanks.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 01:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare
...If not take up the holy auto cannon....
:P Las/HB all the way.

Personally I hate the autocannon. Doesn't fire enough roudns to be good against hordes, isn't strong enough to punch armor, and doesn't have a low enough AP to be really good against heavy infantry.

Plus it looks weird.

IMO.

Back to the question, have you considered conscripts? They are probably the cheapest troops in the game, and they come in big squads to balance their low Ld.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 07:18   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

it jsut a good jack of all trades: able to hurt almost anything, can punch through all bar heavy armour and has decent range, and a decent number of shots.

Remember the guy is JUST starting guard. Hes not going to have a huge number of models to cover every eventuallity. He needs middle of the road weaponry. The chances are that a guardsman will MISS with his lascannon shot when you need it the most, and if he take it against a hord army it will be wasted. Plus it costs a very shiney penny. The heavy bolter is a good choice, it just doesn't have the vehicle stopping power that can be gained by the auto cannon.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 12:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to shasolenzabi

[[[ I am starting to like Arty equipped Guard. Mortars/Hvy Mortars/Thudd guns(drool)/Basilisks/etc.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 14:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hvy bolters are a must have due to the fact 9 shots per hvy weapons squad.
Also if you are carefull you can get 3 missile lunchers out of the same box(just add 6 guardsman).
You then have the best of both worlds.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 21:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'El GeekyGator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare
...If not take up the holy auto cannon....
:P Las/HB all the way.

Personally I hate the autocannon. Doesn't fire enough roudns to be good against hordes, isn't strong enough to punch armor, and doesn't have a low enough AP to be really good against heavy infantry.

Plus it looks weird.

IMO.

Back to the question, have you considered conscripts? They are probably the cheapest troops in the game, and they come in big squads to balance their low Ld.
1 bad roll and the conscripts become a 5 minute nightmare of running a buttload of figs backwards where you didnt want them, and hope you can rally their low-leadership heinies into not going off board. look at their LD for goodness sake! they will break the first time they are fired on unless you dedicate and indie commie to watch over them (which is just more points to the wind IMO)... take real godsmen they arent that much more pricey, and much more reliable.

as far as "autocan looks wierd"... i think all the tripod mount weapons look wierd (one reason i prefer my misslunchers) because it is hard to fathom any squad moving at any kind of regular speed carrying that amount of stuff... but there it is... there are the rules... heavy bolters look equally wierd unless you figure out a way to shoulder mount them with some chopping and glueing...

i DO love my a-cans (as my bro has accused me of many times) because they tear thru light vehicles and i often played vs. those kind of armies... it ultimately comes down to what you have to play against.
Closed Thread