View Poll Results: Are Vox-Casters worth it
yes 20 86.96%
no 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 03 Jan 2007, 03:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Vox-Casters worth it - or not

I have over time thought the vox-casters both a waste of points and a god send, I wanted to know what you guys think is the best option all-round

- vox-casters
or
- no vox-casters

I personally think that overall they are a waste of points for +1 leadership (even though they can be really handy at times)
My WIP Prussian themed Imperial Guard Army - Because you&#39;ve all asked for it!

JAGGED ALLIANCE &#39;09 - Bottled in Scotland (please enjoy responsibly) - Tau Empire
ARCANACON &#39;10 - PWNaVIC - Tau Empire: Veteran Cadre Pegasus - The Dal&#39;yth Oldbloods
BAMBASH - Shas&#39;El von Richthofen&#39;s Flying Circus - Tau Empire - Allied with Imperial Guard

- I survived the SEBF 24hr Painting Challenge!
- One of the last surviving members of the Blue Lake Battlegroup at Compton Hall :P
Old 04 Jan 2007, 00:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Vox-Casters worth it - or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas O Dalyth Montau
I have over time thought the vox-casters both a waste of points and a god send, I wanted to know what you guys think is the best option all-round

- vox-casters
or
- no vox-casters

I personally think that overall they are a waste of points for +1 leadership (even though they can be really handy at times)
I think it&#39;s only worth using them if you&#39;re going to go the whole hog. It&#39;s way more than +1 leadership if you make the most of them. One of the Imperial Guard&#39;s prime weaknesses is its low leadership, so I think the option to negate that weakness and give most of your army leadership 10 is worth the points, especially if you&#39;re using a lot of troops.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 04 Jan 2007, 01:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Actually only Ld9 normally... if you throw in a Walking Noose (Commissar) to the Command Squad, alongside an HSO, you can get army-wide Ld10 though.
Old 04 Jan 2007, 05:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Keeping morale with Vox Casters are very effective through the master-vox. I never leave home without one of those and a vox-caster in each squad. Better to spend points than doctrines and points too keep morale in my opinion.
Old 04 Jan 2007, 17:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra&#39;Tuisich-Novae
Actually only Ld9 normally... if you throw in a Walking Noose (Commissar) to the Command Squad, alongside an HSO, you can get army-wide Ld10 though.
That&#39;s what I&#39;m talking about, bud. What did you think I meant when I said "it&#39;s only worth using them if you&#39;re going to go the whole hog"?

You can pull it off with an Honorifica Imperialis too if you don&#39;t think a Heroic Senior Officer would be risked on ground operations with your army (such as drop troops perhaps?)...or if you&#39;re just feeling cheap and you need to salvage 5 points from somewhere.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 04 Jan 2007, 23:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra&#39;Tuisich-Novae
That&#39;s what I&#39;m talking about, bud. What did you think I meant when I said "it&#39;s only worth using them if you&#39;re going to go the whole hog"?

You can pull it off with an Honorifica Imperialis too if you don&#39;t think a Heroic Senior Officer would be risked on ground operations with your army (such as drop troops perhaps?)...or if you&#39;re just feeling cheap and you need to salvage 5 points from somewhere.
This was discussed a long time ago, but is the commissars abilities sent through the vox caster?
Old 05 Jan 2007, 02:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think that the vox caster only transmits the officers Ld, and the commissar isn&#39;t strictly an officer (but that is just a speculation I could be wrong)
My WIP Prussian themed Imperial Guard Army - Because you&#39;ve all asked for it!

JAGGED ALLIANCE &#39;09 - Bottled in Scotland (please enjoy responsibly) - Tau Empire
ARCANACON &#39;10 - PWNaVIC - Tau Empire: Veteran Cadre Pegasus - The Dal&#39;yth Oldbloods
BAMBASH - Shas&#39;El von Richthofen&#39;s Flying Circus - Tau Empire - Allied with Imperial Guard

- I survived the SEBF 24hr Painting Challenge!
- One of the last surviving members of the Blue Lake Battlegroup at Compton Hall :P
Old 05 Jan 2007, 11:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

As I play heavy mechanized Guard, I never have used vox-casters. Ever.
A Commisar is almost always in place to hand out the nice Ld 10.
But heavy infantry based armies would do nice with some vox-casters.
Old 05 Jan 2007, 17:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas O Dalyth Montau
I think that the vox caster only transmits the officers Ld, and the commissar isn&#39;t strictly an officer (but that is just a speculation I could be wrong)
There&#39;s no reason to assume that. If the bonus granted by the commissar improves the leadership of the officer then, unless stated otherwise, it applies to all instances in which the officer&#39;s leadership would be used. Look at the Space Marine Commander&#39;s &#39;Rites of Battle&#39; for example, it makes a specific exception for psychic tests. Besides, if the Imperial Guard FAQs say it can be combined with the officer&#39;s &#39;Leadership&#39; special rule, why are we to assume it can&#39;t be used in conjunction with vox-casters?
Old 05 Jan 2007, 17:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Elcampbello

Yes and no, on one hand ld 10 all around is very nice, but on the other it costs more points that could be spent on more squads. I tend to avoid it more often than not, only take it if you know your going to be attacking.