Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

An Imperial problem!
Closed Thread
Old 27 Dec 2006, 16:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default An Imperial problem!

With my Christmas money in hand (total of $505 US), I cannot decide what to do with it.

I have narrowed it down to 3 choices:

1. Baneblade, with using extra money to buy whatever.
2. Lots of Guardsmen.
3. Tanks for my armored company.

Please help the good General.
Old 27 Dec 2006, 16:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Commissar_Will
Default Re: An Imperial problem!

Baneblades are overrated...3 Land Raiders could quite easily win a fight against one, and they are a lot cheaper. When it comes to FW tanks, Vanquisher every time. Me says Vanquisher+another tank or two, then pig out on guardsmen!

My Space Marine project log
Old 27 Dec 2006, 16:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Baneblades may indeed by overrated (although cheaper than three Land Raiders :), but they're not supposed to grace the table every game anyway, so don't concern yourself with their combat effectiveness. It's worth having one for the sheer cool factor anyway. You're not often going to have this much money to spend in one go (although it sounds as though you have some very wealthy relatives to leech off). If you're really sure you want to blow it all in one go, then get the Baneblade.

Bear in mind though, resin is for pros, especially Forge World resin. It's brittle, covered with an oily mould release fluid, often warped or badly cast. But just think of the magnificent Super-Heavy tank you'll have to field at the end of it! You've enough money there to buy a decent sized army, but as impressive a painter you may be, no standard IG unit is going to be as spectacular a centre piece as a Baneblade. ^-^
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 27 Dec 2006, 18:58   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I would advise against a baneblade, at least against a Forgeworld one. Certianly if money isn't an issue, they are absolutely amazing models. That said, you are paying a lot of money for something that will look cool, but probobly won't see play a lot. Tactically, in any game big enough to justify it (2000 or more), the Baneblade probobly won't win it's points back.

Keep in mind that there are options: the old armorcast baneblades are on ebay pretty much constantly, and I've had nothing but good experiences with their resin. A used armorcast 'blade will set you back about $150 US, but it'll have the same "Cool" factor, be easier to model, and will be more durable in play.

If you are of a modeling bent, there are also plenty of scratchbuilt options available online. Everything from plasticard and bitz up to a converted WWII tank kit.
Old 27 Dec 2006, 19:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polonius
I would advise against a baneblade, at least against a Forgeworld one. Certianly if money isn't an issue, they are absolutely amazing models. That said, you are paying a lot of money for something that will look cool, but probobly won't see play a lot. Tactically, in any game big enough to justify it (2000 or more), the Baneblade probobly won't win it's points back.

Keep in mind that there are options: the old armorcast baneblades are on ebay pretty much constantly, and I've had nothing but good experiences with their resin. A used armorcast 'blade will set you back about $150 US, but it'll have the same "Cool" factor, be easier to model, and will be more durable in play.

If you are of a modeling bent, there are also plenty of scratchbuilt options available online. Everything from plasticard and bitz up to a converted WWII tank kit.
I saw an Armourcast Shadowsword on Ebay the other day, it looked terrible; there was precious little detail. Was that just a bad example or are all Armorcast models second-rate when compared to Forge World?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 27 Dec 2006, 19:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

They are sceond-rate IMO. My friend had an armorcast Eldar superheavy a long time ago and it wasn't that great. Forgeworld has much better detail from what I've seen.

I recommend you don't buy the baneblade. There are other IG tanks from forgeworld that are cheaper and alot more practical and they still look amazing. Also, instead of a baneblade you could get a bunch of FW guardsmen. I dunno, it's really up to you.
Old 27 Dec 2006, 19:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would get another army with that kind of cash ... or expand your IG to DH, WH, or LATD
Old 27 Dec 2006, 19:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Make sure you go to a place like thewarstore.com so you can get a 30% discount on your purchase.
Old 27 Dec 2006, 21:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Why not get one of those cool Thudd guns?

You could easily say that it represents multiple mortar teams...or two basilisks... ;D
Old 27 Dec 2006, 21:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterCresent
Why not get one of those cool Thudd guns?

You could easily say that it represents multiple mortar teams...or two basilisks... ;D
I still don't know what the special rules for those things are. I wish they'd hurry up and post the rules because I'm dying to find out what a Thudd gun is and what it does!
Closed Thread