Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Whats the difference between cadian and regular?
Closed Thread
Old 17 Dec 2006, 07:36   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Whats the difference between cadian and regular?

Whats the difference between cadian and regular?
Old 17 Dec 2006, 07:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok
Default Re: Whats the difference between cadian and regular?

Umm. Caidens are the norm,but there is no diffrence per sae. They all have the same stat line it's just the look thats diffent.
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 08:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Cadians are just a Imperial Guard Regiment situated on Cadia, If you mean about other Guard Regiments, they are all different like Death Korps Of Krieg & Steel Legion for example which are two totally different regiments in the Guard & they are situated on different worlds, there is no 'regular' guard.

----
Dark Adeptus

Old 17 Dec 2006, 09:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

All Cadians have a standard MkIV Kantreal-pattern stick stuck up their ass.

[Edit] HUMOR! ARGH! WHY GOD WHY?

I'd defend my statement, but I'll never get a retraction on that smite, no matter what happens.

Cadians are what Guard are when you write standards for an intragalactic fighting force, and have only one force able to truely meet those standards. They don't go any farther, and they rarely fall short. Standardized ranks, standardized equipment, standardized everything... (In comparison to Vostroyans, who pimp almost every weapon out with shiny thingies, or Catachans who wear non-standard body armor for manaeverability and comfort)

They are also elevated, through extraordinary amounts of God-fluff (Fluff that exaggerates a unit's capabilities in order to emphasize its heroism/ruthlessness/qualities of note). Cadians are like normal Guardsmen, but the stories that GW chooses to tell about them only show them at beyond their best. This is what causes players, such as yourself, to assume that Cadians are somehow "better" than a normal Guardsman, and then ask what makes them better.

Nothing makes them better. They have the standard equipment, and operate efficiently and consistantly with loyalty to the Emperor. Commendable, but there is a galaxy of Guard regiments, with room for ones that run into battle stoned (Chem Dogs of Salvar) and those that will not break coherency, even under a strafing run (Moridans).

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 17 Dec 2006, 10:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Innappropriate and not relevent. Smited

Now to the topic.
Cadians, are the current guard Poster boys. Most newer founded regiments take the standard armour and weapons of the Cadians and use it themselves therefore making them all look the same, with the exception of armour/fatigues/weapon colour.

There are many older founded regiments (Those metioned in the codex, and others such as Pretorians etc.) that do not utalise the Cadian gear. But take on their own traditions and war gear.

As for game purposes, Cadians are the most commonly stocked of the IG models, them and Catachans. GW are too lazy to bring conversion kits to the stores for us to use.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 12:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Cadians are the standard "image" you see when you picture Imperial Guard, while many smaller planets base their military system off the same pattern the Cadians use.
Same armour, weapons, fatigues, like JD said, just a different colour.

They also organize their forces like the Cadians do, with the common company containing roughly 340 men, and the common regiment containing 24 companies, or roughly 8000 men.
Hope that helps.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 00:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

The difference between "regular" and "cadian" is the models. Thats it. Same stats. Different models.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 02:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

There is no such thing as "regular" Guard - the Cadians have become poster-boys [unfortunatly]. I won't go into a huge rant on this, I just realy dislike their barely-postmodern look, since Guard shouldn't look like that... the Death Korps of Krieg, Mordian Iron Guard, Catachan Jungle Fighters... that's what Guardsmen should be: diverse and not modern or futaristic.

Nothing in the Imperium is modern or futaristic, with a few exceptions (like Elysians). Everything from achitecture to spacecraft is historical, except Cadians.

Enough of my ranting, Cadians are just another form of Imperial Guard Regiment that because of their unique status as plastic minis (I'm not counting Catachans, because they're very specialized while Cadians can represent various things), have become the popular and iconic Guardsmen.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 19:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

actually, figure preferences aside, and just trying to be helpful if this was the real question:

cadians use a set of doctrines that is specific to cadians. i dont think we can post the specifics here, but in the back of the guard codex are a list of various famous regiments, their doctrines, favored weapons, and a little fluff.

cadians actually have more doctrines than a normal guard regiment (7 i think) and so they have a distinct advantage in being allowed to bend the doctrines rule a bit.

'regular' or 'vanilla' (whatever name you call it) guard regiments may well use cadian-style uniforms, 'standard issue' looking guardsmen - but they are not cadians, and dont benefit from the advantages of being such... you can add other doctrines for various regiments but are limited to 5 choices... other 'regular' armies use no doctrines at all so that they dont restrict the variety of troop types available to them.

personally i never use my guys as 'cadians' with the doctrine list but prefer to tinker around with my own personalized regiments just using cadian figures
Old 18 Dec 2006, 19:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ah, that is a good point... Cadians, if actually played as Cadians, do have access to a heap of Doctrines.
Closed Thread