Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Imperial Guard on Cities of Death
Closed Thread
Old 17 Dec 2006, 06:38   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Imperial Guard on Cities of Death

[glow=red,2,300]OK. I am very interested in Cities of Death and the idea behind it. I have gotten many replies from friends saying Imperial Guard are a superb army for Cities of Death. I would like to know what weapons you suggest for use, army sizes (points AND actual numbers of infantry), and vehicle choices.[/glow]
Old 17 Dec 2006, 12:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Imperial Guard on Cities of Death

I suggest you take many heavy bolters and autocannons, as you may only have one turn of really getting to shoot a lot, so you have to take weapons that shoot a lot, because it decreases your chance of missing.

Sentinels are a good idea for vehicles, as some tanks cannot squeeze through the tight spaces between buildings.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 13:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

And sentinels won't fall through the floor!

"Sometimes, I'm embarrassed to be your friend..."
Old 17 Dec 2006, 16:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugo To The Slavia
OK. I am very interested in Cities of Death and the idea behind it. I have gotten many replies from friends saying Imperial Guard are a superb army for Cities of Death. I would like to know what weapons you suggest for use, army sizes (points AND actual numbers of infantry), and vehicle choices.
Heavy Weapons: Take special ones, the heavy ones tend to be of less use as you have to stay static to use them. Dedicated squads at a cross roads are good but thats it. As for the actual weapon. Go for the autocannon and mortars. Mortars don't kill troops, much, but they force your opponent to want to move those Devistators out of that building where they are being shelled into the open. Or if its low save troops like Orks, Gaunts or Kroot you can kill a few and pin them down annoying your opponate. The Autocannon is good because it can chew up transports and/or the 'big' targets however you need to place them well during deployment. I have tried missiles in the past, but I find them not as effective as a 'generic' weapon.

Special weapons: Meltas, flamers and grenade launchers Meltas give you AT and anti-'big targets' without sacrificing mobility, plus it allows you to negate big nasty close combat troops. Flamers are good vs low toughness troops like Kroot, Orks and Gaunts. Plus no cover save makes it irreplaceable. Again good at negating close combat and/or good assaulter's. Grenade launchers can take advantage of the close proximity of enemy troops as they are confined to the streets. Also you can use them against MEQ quite effectively, much as I would prefer plasma the grenade launcher genrally I have found more useful in the past.

Army size (points): Well this can make or break the game. In city of death you need to have numbers lots of numbers this make the low points games rather difficult. less than 800pts it can be difficult to get everything you need. However past the 2500pts mark the Guard can lose out to large numbers of good vehicles and 'elite' forces.

Army size (manpower): Well, I'm biased with my large 420 infantry model army. Yes go for lots of men and conscripts because if you don't then things like losing your tank to a combi-melta can be really annoying! Personally I have a dislike of IG vehicles, If pushed I will take a Hellhound only because I forked out and got one. Of course you have to take sentinels...As others have said they are indispensable. Hellhouds are good to park at the end of a street and cover it against anything (backed up with a platoon). Sentinels are good with autocannons or a multi-melta (gots me a cool conversation on this, only for friendlies).

Genmotty
Closed Thread