Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to get cheap plasma into guard.
Closed Thread
Old 12 Dec 2006, 14:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default How to get cheap plasma into guard.

I was looking around all the bits and trying to figure out how to get a plasma trooper into guard for less than $6.50 per model (US). With a very small amounting of greenstuff you can convert a standard cadian trooper into a plasma gunner with the following bit:
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/s...&Image1=Search

Space Marine Plasma Gun - (9947010117704)

It is $2.50 per gun and has a built in hand (with a cool skull on it) on the gunstock. It requires that you cut off the cadian hand, and use the left hand (the bit with the full hand that cups the gun) that normally holds a lasgun.

Old 12 Dec 2006, 14:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: How to get cheap plasma into guard.

Buying the blister isn't so bad- at least you also get a useful meltagun.

Sisters have three random assault weapons: stormbolter (useless), flamer (only need a couple) and melta (what I'm really after).

I see no reason why one couldn't file the cadian flamer round and with a little greenstuff and bits make a decent melta out of that...
Old 12 Dec 2006, 15:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Not sure about melta's. Personally, I have enough melta's to go around. The problem with buying the IG blister that has a melta gun and a plasma gun is that, if you want to field a plasma army, you are looking at a huge investment. Lets say you want 12 plasma guns... Well that is $150 dollars right there if you order the blister. Maybe you just bit order the plasma guy (or the melta guy) for $6.50... That is still $78 dollars. Too rich for my blood. I ordered 10 plasma guns last night for around $27 bucks. Not a bad price to field a huge amount of plasma.

Holy smokes, I swear I did not read this post before I got in and posted this this morning:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ?????
Alrighty, I spose I could use the whole FW bizzo
I will be using Plasma weaponry, and lots of it. Infact the amounts of special weaponry I want that isn't in the boxed sets I think could be quite - quite large.
I am talking 2 squads of vets with 3 Plasma Gunners, and a Plasma Pistol..
How should I do this? Are the arms of Kasrken separate from the body? If so would ordering in SM Plasma guns from BW and snipping at the wrist work?
Lastly, the D-99 list. Is anyone aloud to tell me anything to do with that?...It's not stats ;D.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 15:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I can see both ways. You're right, if you want to restrict your list to tons of plasma. Personally, I would rather spend the money and have the ability to field the melta army of death if I like. And, to be fair, there's the cost of having a model to carry the gun. But then, using Cadians is pretty inexpensive and you will have a distinctive force.

So bring on the buckets of plasma.

Sounds like you have done something that works very well for going plasma heavy. Thanks for sharing and make sure to post your conversions!
Old 12 Dec 2006, 18:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

just wanted to mention (i'm pretty budgetty kind of gamer) that if you don't have the cash to invest in loads of official bits, bags of plastic army men from a toy shop often have loads of choppable offable gun barrels of various sizes that can be turned into frankensteinish heavy and special weapons alternatives. we have made heavy stubbers, stormbolters, flamers, bolters, boltpistols, meltas, mortars all out of one $0.99 bag of army men creatively chopped.

I think so long as there is a uniform look to the gun (i.e. "THAT is what a plas looks like in this army, and THAT is what a bolter looks like and so on...) and it roughly approximates the standard issue GW gun, I highly doubt anyone would even notice the difference. takes some time chopping and glueing to make all the guns look good but it can be done.

Old 14 Dec 2006, 22:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame

I've seen how to make a plasma gun with a cadian flamer and a ordinary plasma pistol.
http://z4.invisionfree.com/Boot_Camp...showtopic=5764
3rd or 4th post down I believe the guy has taken pictures on how to do it.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 07:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgame
I've seen how to make a plasma gun with a cadian flamer and a ordinary plasma pistol.
http://z4.invisionfree.com/Boot_Camp...showtopic=5764
3rd or 4th post down I believe the guy has taken pictures on how to do it.
Awesome conversion. I'll be doing this once I get my guard army going again.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 13:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Another thing I discovered, recently, is the "space marine" plastic plasma gun bit. You can order it through Battle wagon bits (http://www.battlewagon-bits.com/product/3585). It has no handle and is plastic, so it might be a little easier to pin to a lasgun handle. It is also $1.99, which is cheaper.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 15:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

Great link there Mrgame.
I usually use space marine plasmaguns on my guardsmen.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 05:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Have any of you seen the lasgun conversion, which is similar to the flamer conversion of the plasma pistol? Someone was posting about it on that link and said they would post pictures, but I couldn't find any.
Closed Thread