Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Drop Troops. Various Questions. [Edited, see last post, need fast reply]
Closed Thread
Old 11 Dec 2006, 20:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to GRISGIT-warboss
Default Drop Troops. Various Questions. [Edited, see last post, need fast reply]

Hey all.
Well, I am starting up a Drop Troop army and need some tips.
Well, I know of the Elysian D-99 drop troop list though I don't actually know how it differs from other elysian lists.
Ok, I don't want to be painting 50 models base for this army so (besides putting everything in Valkyries) can anyone point me in the direction of constructing a more elite drop troops army?
Another question I have is: ' How do I make good looking grave chutes and respirators? I am willing to order in bitz and put some time into these guys so I dont mind if you tell me complex list of bits etc.*
Basic gameplay. I had 3 games yesterday with the stores guard and I used them as Drop Troops. I ended up with 2 massacres and a draw against a vet eldar player who used Asuermen and lotz of other expensive nasties in 750 points :P. I deep striked into rapid fire range with most units (except for those taking objectives) which generally had a vox and a flamer. Was this the smartest thing to do? It worked, though do you think it was flukey?
That's all...for now*
Thanks
Old 11 Dec 2006, 22:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Drop Troops. Various Questions.

ah drop troops... how lucky do ya feel? when your drops go right, it is an engine of death and devastation. when it doesnt..... well at least theres more where they came from! well, i think FW sells their grav-chutes in packs.... so good luck!

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Tauroc/Si..._berserker.gif
Old 11 Dec 2006, 22:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I am leaning away from FW stuff..
Old 12 Dec 2006, 07:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

FW packs would do good, they also sell the respirators.

You can use green stuff but the FW would really do better.

I wrote a small Post for putting together Elysian Drop Troops.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...#msg1058065203

I will be adding to it soon, I now have my Vuture and Valkyrie assembled, now I just have to decide on how to arm them.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 12 Dec 2006, 07:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aquila_XV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf-Tau
now I just have to decide on how to arm them.
Arm them With Multiple Rocket Pods and Hellstrike Missles ;D
Cant say no to lots of Firepower!

Buy the FW kit and use their respirator heads and grav-chutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Welcome to the Navy, Chevron.

Longest Ever Maiden Chain: 55
Old 12 Dec 2006, 08:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Alrighty, I spose I could use the whole FW bizzo
I will be using Plasma weaponry, and lots of it. Infact the amounts of special weaponry I want that isn't in the boxed sets I think could be quite - quite large.
I am talking 2 squads of vets with 3 Plasma Gunners, and a Plasma Pistol..
How should I do this? Are the arms of Kasrken separate from the body? If so would ordering in SM Plasma guns from BW and snipping at the wrist work?
Lastly, the D-99 list. Is anyone aloud to tell me anything to do with that?...It's not stats ;D.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 09:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

[size=15pt]Urgent, need fast reply[/size]
Ok, sorry for the double post but this is urgent.
I am runnig out of time badly.
I have decided to buy a FW Elysian army though I don't have the money to be buying 6 or so squads of 100 AUS$.
So I need to limit my numbers, will Stormtroopers work, in say 750 or 1000 point drop troop armies and then fill the rest of my bulk out in Veteran squads and missle squads?
Which FW minis do I use as Storm Troopers?
Even though they are Elysian minis and I dont think Elysian doctrines have Storm Troopers, I can easily say they're not Elysians or whatever.
Do you think I have run out of time to order some minis and get them buy Christmas without using express shipping?
Old 12 Dec 2006, 11:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Drop Troops. Various Questions. [Edited, see last post, need fast reply]

Depending on the amount of funds you have you can try this, I did this until I could get enough Elysians.

Use Elysian HQs with Cadian troops to start. The Elysian HQs are basically training the Cadian in Drop Troop Warfare.

I am playing 1k games and you will basically need in Elysians

Command HQ x 1
platoon HQ x 2 (You can use Command HQ for this also)
Troops (10 man) x 4
HQ support Heavy Bolter x 2
HQ support Rocket Launcher x 1
Sentinel x 2

D-99 being more elite you will spend less, because the units are more expensive but this list is meant for smaller games, 1k and under.

I would not be in a rush to get these guys, they are GREAT figures. So if you can get some you will be happy but don't rush to put them together either. These are difficult to put together and time comsuming to paint. They are not for the beginner.

If they are out of stock, you may not get them in time for Christmas.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 12 Dec 2006, 15:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?????
Alrighty, I spose I could use the whole FW bizzo
I will be using Plasma weaponry, and lots of it. Infact the amounts of special weaponry I want that isn't in the boxed sets I think could be quite - quite large.
I am talking 2 squads of vets with 3 Plasma Gunners, and a Plasma Pistol..
How should I do this? Are the arms of Kasrken separate from the body? If so would ordering in SM Plasma guns from BW and snipping at the wrist work?
Lastly, the D-99 list. Is anyone aloud to tell me anything to do with that?...It's not stats ;D.
I just posted about this in another post and I swear I didn't read this before. I just ordered 10 of these SM plasma guns and I can't wait till my bit order gets in! As far as doing this with storm troopers, that might be hard. Metal figures, for me, are harder to mod. You could try cutting off the right wrist and then carve out the gun from the other hand. It would be easier to do the cadians though, as they have a bit that includes a cupping hand. Perhaps you could cut off the left arm from the kasrkin, up to the shoulder pad, and greenstuff and pin the left cupping hand from the cadian plastic trooper.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 21:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Drop Troops. Various Questions. [Edited, see last post, need fast reply]

Elysians are resin, Hazard.
Closed Thread