Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

tanks?
Closed Thread
Old 02 Dec 2006, 01:47   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default tanks?

What would be better in city fight:a basilisk or a demolisher?

Old 02 Dec 2006, 02:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to The_Greater_Good
Default Re: tanks?

Basilisk: They can sit far away and just bomb your enemy with indirect fire, they are strong enough to beat up toughness four enemies - with a pie plate, and they are definitely cheaper than a Demolisher.

Demolisher: It gets to shoot more than one weapon per turn (since the Basilisk will usually out of sight to prevent destruction), it can DEMOLISH (pun intended) anything without Power Armour, with a strength ten Pie Plate, Heavy Flamers, and a hull Heavy Bolter... things will die.

I guess it is a preference thing, do you have lots of Mortars or is your army a get up close and kill em' army? Either way they are both well equipped for city fight.

If you need help with a Tau army list, go ahead and pm me, always willing to help.
Old 02 Dec 2006, 07:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to king.com

Ah, the old, what to include question. Everyone of these depends on what the rest of your army is doing. Demolisher will get more points back while the basilisk will really annoy your opponent with constant pinning, etc.
Old 02 Dec 2006, 09:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Ferrox

Ahh, When I used to city fight with my 'Desert Rats'...Stupid name I know, I used a demolisher, The 24" range didnt bother me because nothing was more than 24" away once it was spotted.

Admittedly I shouldve left the sponsons off because I used it as a pie chucker, The Bassi is nice for a long distance shot because of the IF ability but it has a weaker armour all round.

Some will say its preference and other's will say its Statistics and Experience, for me its a bit of both, I prefer the Demo cause Ive had more experience with it over a Bassi.

1st Karma 4:07:51 AM

[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=43531.0]

Old 02 Dec 2006, 11:05   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Greater_Good
Basilisk: They can sit far away and just bomb your enemy with indirect fire, they are strong enough to beat up toughness four enemies - with a pie plate, and they are definitely cheaper than a Demolisher.

Demolisher: It gets to shoot more than one weapon per turn (since the Basilisk will usually out of sight to prevent destruction), it can DEMOLISH (pun intended) anything without Power Armour, with a strength ten Pie Plate, Heavy Flamers, and a hull Heavy Bolter... things will die.

I guess it is a preference thing, do you have lots of Mortars or is your army a get up close and kill em' army? Either way they are both well equipped for city fight.
actually power armour isn't going to stop the demolisher, nor terminator armour.

I'd personally go with the demolisher, just because of the cramped conditions on a cityfight board. But you may wish to tinker around with the bassi though - just try an be smart with the blind spot. Leave it behind buildings and you won't be able to switch so easily
Old 02 Dec 2006, 14:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to The_Greater_Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare
actually power armour isn't going to stop the demolisher, nor terminator armour.
I was refering to the Heavy Flamers and the hull Heavy Bolter.

If you need help with a Tau army list, go ahead and pm me, always willing to help.
Old 02 Dec 2006, 14:13   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for the advice .
Old 03 Dec 2006, 20:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If you want indirect fire take a Griffon, they are far superior in cityfight. They are about 50 points cheaper than a Baslisk. The disadvantage of their low AP is negated because there is so much cover in cityfight that AP isn't too important. The biggest reason for the Griffon though, is that its minimum range is 12" while the Basilisk's is a huge 36". Especially if you end up on a 4x4 table, most targets will be inside your Basilisk's three foot minimum range.
Old 03 Dec 2006, 20:12   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Greater_Good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare
I was refering to the Heavy Flamers and the hull Heavy Bolter.
ahh... my apologies then
Old 03 Dec 2006, 20:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Vimes
If you want indirect fire take a Griffon, they are far superior in cityfight. They are about 50 points cheaper than a Baslisk. The disadvantage of their low AP is negated because there is so much cover in cityfight that AP isn't too important. The biggest reason for the Griffon though, is that its minimum range is 12" while the Basilisk's is a huge 36". Especially if you end up on a 4x4 table, most targets will be inside your Basilisk's three foot minimum range.
I couldn't agree more. Unless you're playing a huge mega battle and/or don't mind exposing your basilisk to enemy fire, go for a different tank every time.

King Yarrick: it would help us answer your question a little better if you could tell us what size board you're usually playing on, your most common opponents, what the rest of your army's like, stuff like that.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Closed Thread