Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Imperial Guard allies
Closed Thread
Old 28 Nov 2006, 23:19   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Imperial Guard allies

I have been considering starting an IG army after I finish with the Icewind Cadre. I had one question, however. I hear all the time about taking Inquisitorial pals along for the ride, but can you take allied SM? Or is that something one can only do with the inquisition and another allied imperial force.

There is a fluffy reason behind my questioning, and all I really want to take is a squad or two of Marines. I am looking at an "Urban Cleansing" detachment of IG under the leadership of a SM contingent. I just want to know if it is legal.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 04:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Imperial Guard allies

You cannot take allied space marines as per the rules. If you want to have a fight with your friends, where you have fluffy reasons for doing so, no one will stop you... enjoy the game.

These are the configurations for allies (which might apply):
1. IG Parent Army
You can ally with (Either) DH or WH. If you read the DH FAQ on the games workshop site it clarifies the fact that you cannot take DH _AND_ WH allies. This was previously unclear.
2. WH Parent Army
You can have allied space marines OR allied IG. There are specific rules that deal with what type, how many and under what conditions you can take these allies. It's not a free for all.
3. DH Parent Army
You can have allied space marines OR allied IG. There are specific rules that deal with what type, how many and under what conditions you can take these allies. Also not a free for all.

To take ANY of the options above, you must own the IG codex AND the WH or DH codex. The rules for these allies reside in the WH and the DH codex.

There are other allies that I am not too familiar with. Kroot, death world, other stuff... not sure... Can someone else speak to those?
Old 29 Nov 2006, 04:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

The kroot merc "codex" is found on the Tau section of GW's website and the rules for using them as allies is on the second page.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 14:08   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Curses, as 2 tac squads and a dred would fit perfectly. That way it would be a few SM assigned to urban cleansing, who had requisitioned a bunch of guardsmen to do their dirty work. I guess I will have to see if I can fit SoB in somewhere. The upside is, an inquisitor makes perfect sense as leadership for this little party.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 15:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

You could use a Deathwatch Space Marine Kill Team in a Guard army. You can only take one squad but they're pretty bad ass and excellent for "Urban Cleansing"

http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacemarines/deathwatch/1/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 04:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Kansas, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, World, Milky way, universe
Send a message via AIM to valhallen_warrior Send a message via MSN to valhallen_warrior Send a message via Skype™ to valhallen_warrior

Does anyone know if the imperial gaurd would be allowed to have Ordo Xenos allies if they ever make a codex for them. That would be sweet and a cant see why you wouldn't if your allowed witch hunters or deamon hunters. Youd probably be allowed one of the three.

Also wouldnt you be able to take grey knight squads since they are inquisition? Or mabye even sisters of battle. Arent they like female SM?

"I have no delusions of divinity. We are men, not gods. Man is his own god, his own devil, his own death--we are created in our own image, yet imprisoned by the face we call our own. I will remake the world as I have remade my face." - The Black Mask
Closed Thread