Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

stupid figures
Closed Thread
Old 08 Nov 2006, 20:28   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default stupid figures

What do you guys think of the following figure lines. I have a real aesthetic problem with some of the figures out there and I just wondered if I was the only person who feels this way, or do people actually use them?

#1: Those god-awful old mongolian looking roughriders. when will GW get around to updating those?
#2: Silly pith-helmet-wearing-zulu-fighting looking praetorians who have no place on a futuristic battle scene
#3: Mordians piss me off. why does anybody wear their dress uniforms to battle?
#4: big fat cadian lieutennant with shotgun. What an embarrassment to his unit.
#5: googley-eyed stormtroopers. I think most people use Kasrkin figs even when not Cadian.
#6: old catachans with shoulders as big as a space marine power armored shoulder pad
#7: my friend brought this to my attention. plasma guns look like he's pointing a big phallic object at you.
#8: RATLINGS? you killed off the Squats but left these little punks??
#9: "wounded guy" from the Cadian command squad. What a waste of metal.
#10: that stupid commissar with the axe and FLAMER. why make a figure that can't be used?

Anyways. I suppose I just wanted to vent having just perused the online store and the figs available for our consumption, and I emerged fairly bummed out by some of the schlock they feed us, while the eldar and tau and marines seem to get constant upgrades to their style, we are stuck with these stupid old figs.

Not to be a total pessimist, I will give a list of what I think are the nicer figs
#1 Kasrkin. especially the sarge.
#2 catachan and cadian plastics
#3 tallarn in general (just so expensive)
#4 steel legion in general (just so expensive also)
#5 the one-eyed commander from the cadian HQ set (he kind of makes up for "wounded guy")
#6 all of the schaeffer's last chancers figs are just gorgeous to me.
#7 the infinitely useful heavy weapons sprue with all the extra bits you can throw around
#8 we still have nice tanks. especially the demolisher
#9 sentinels
#10 tanith snipers
Old 08 Nov 2006, 22:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: stupid figures

You do realize that most of those models are over a decade old. Many armies had figures that were bad but have since been replaced with newer, better looking models. B

ack in the old rules models arming models like the commissar with a flamer was an option. That's actually on of my problems about guard is they haven't updated the commissar models besides Yarrick since I've been playing.
Old 08 Nov 2006, 22:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

#1: Those god-awful old mongolian looking roughriders. when will GW get around to updating those?
They have to get their influences from somewhere. As it happens I think the models are good, though they no longer fit the IG theme (which is mainly Cadian now >_&gt

#2: Silly pith-helmet-wearing-zulu-fighting looking praetorians who have no place on a futuristic battle scene
What's wrong with them? You could argue that the Vostroyans have no place, nor do the Catachans etc

#3: Mordians piss me off. why does anybody wear their dress uniforms to battle?
Why not? It's the same as when everyone used to - it looks smart, uniform, impressive, and sometimes menacing.

Must admit I've never much liked him.

#5: googley-eyed stormtroopers. I think most people use Kasrkin figs even when not Cadian.
I inted to get hold of some of the storm troopers actually - they're nice models. Yes, I do own some Kasrkin, but that's because they were there. And they ooze a sense of 'look at me, I could actually be a real SAS soldier'

#6: old catachans with shoulders as big as a space marine power armored shoulder pad
Again, influences. Rambo, I suppose.

#7: my friend brought this to my attention. plasma guns look like he's pointing a big phallic object at you.
They do?

From what I understand Guard never had snipers for a long time. These were the answer, much like Ogyrns

Or perhaps a nice little addition. Same as I'd like corpse models to be added to plastic boxed sets. And they can be usefull for dioramas and such too. Tell me - what should they have made in his place?

#10: that stupid commissar with the axe and FLAMER. why make a figure that can't be used?
Again, old rules. I very much doubt he is the only model to be armed with a hand-flamer (which were legal weapons at once, weren't they?)
Old 09 Nov 2006, 03:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Army bashing is bad. Your oppinion is valid but please put it in better terms. Read up on the history of the game and relise that some models are there because GW was feeling nice.

You should be thankful half of those are still being made.

By the way... I should smite you again for cursing my beloved Catachans. I love those models, and the current ones are still as big as marines in terms of whole body size.
Old 09 Nov 2006, 05:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to king.com

Yea, they really do need to be updated

Zulu fighting eh? Interesting choice of words. Thats like asking "why do marines have such big shoulder pads? Are they expecting to teackle someone?" Thats how they look, i for one think it makes them a very interesting army.

#3: Mordians Aulma me off. why does anybody wear their dress uniforms to battle?
OMFG read some fluff on these guys. Guard Codex man. Nothing more to say.

Disgrace. A famous Cadian quote is "If you cant dismantle and rebuild a lasgun by the age of 8 (forget if thats the right age), you were born on the wrong planet." He goes for everything the Cadian army stands against (other than the Chaotic quota)

Googley eyed? Is that how you paint them? Stormtroopers are some of my favourite figures in the entire citadel range. Kasrkins are good, but stormtroopers truely show off the elite of the not marine imperium.

The whole idea of the catchan army is for people to think rambo. Cant see anything but huge muscles really depicting silverster stalone. No they are not as big as the shoulder pad but very close. A guardsmen is almost the same height as a marine, fluff wise, marines tower above guardsmen. If they displayed fluff, marines/chaos would win every game, and gamesworkshop wold have to use completely seperate moulding machines.

phallic? Sounds like a penicillon brand. To me, it looks like hes aiming a highly deadly energy expulsion device.

You answered your own question. They are not squats, just mutants. Very good snipers filing the gap of long range tactical shooting. I like the models.

Don't like a free model? Are you one of those rich kids you see spending their parents money like theres no tomorrow? If you don't like it give it to ME!

Very cool model. I do believe that it was legal. Besides, you could claim it was a custom plasma gun with a like tool working.

Your first mistake was insulting guard on the guard forum.
Your second mistake was bad mouthing the favourite army of the forums mod.

Lol, just a bit of a jest on my behalf.
Old 09 Nov 2006, 05:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I agree with most of what you are saying,

what I really want to see are new commissars

the best old line were the Tallaran models

The fat cadian LT is bad I have a couple of those
"If your soldiers show fear in the face of the Emperor's enemies, shoot the first man that falters. If this does not work shoot a man until the unit is either functioning properly or decimated. There can be no fear in the Imperial Guard."

----

Comment attributed to Commissar Ran Creed Attached to the Savlar 42nd

Status -- Killed by Friendly Fire
Old 09 Nov 2006, 06:33   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

I bet those models think you look ugly and stupid, too ;D
Old 09 Nov 2006, 07:43   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to bloodsucker

#3: Mordians Aulma me off. why does anybody wear their dress uniforms to battle?
Have you ever read fluff about them?
They're the tightest unit in the guard (one of). In the 13th Legion, Kage gets punished for having his uniform out of order when he runs away from the Last Chancers.
Old 09 Nov 2006, 07:47   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by J?
Army bashing is bad. Your oppinion is valid but please put it in better terms. Read up on the history of the game and relise that some models are there because GW was feeling nice.

You should be thankful half of those are still being made.

By the way... I should smite you again for cursing my beloved Catachans. I love those models, and the current ones are still as big as marines in terms of whole body size.
oh stop being contrary. I wanted to vent my frustration that our fig line is so old and lavender, while black templars, tau empires, and eldar codexes get released. Where's the love for the guard? I am NOT army bashing. I love the Guard and anybody who can actually field a decent looking force out of the crums they throw us. Smite me for this. I did not swear, I did not make any inappropriate attacks. I spoke my mind on the steps of the forum. You don't like it? smite me again. kick me off the site I guess. then go pick up your allowance for more miniatures from your mommy kid. I am just sharing ideas here. Smite smite smite, might makes right. I believe that was unnecessary to give me bad karma for saying that this or that miniature needs to be replaced. What about that post thats been going 'what do you think of death corps of krieg?' how about we dish out bad karma to anybody who says they don't like them? stop whining.
Old 09 Nov 2006, 07:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeenoghu

oh stop being contrary. I wanted to vent my frustration that our fig line is so old and lavender, while black templars, tau empires, and eldar codexes get released. Where's the love for the guard? I am NOT army bashing. I love the Guard and anybody who can actually field a decent looking force out of the crums they throw us.
Exactly where did he contradict himself?
Closed Thread