Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mad Max style Army
Old 08 Nov 2006, 05:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Mad Max style Army

Ok...my idea. I'd use Catachans with a smattering of Necromundo models mixed in.

Doctrines
Sharpshooters-Life is rough, you learn to fight or you die.
Chem-Inhalers-Mainly because I want it but drugs and booze work well.
Mechanized-Everyone in MM rode a car, the gangs all drove places, it figures my men should too,
Ogryns-A few tribes live out in the deep desert, periodically they come in to trade.
Sentinals-Popular for gladiatorial contests in Thunderdomes, used to patrol territory and scout for raiders...

Rough List 1k
Command Platoon
Heroic Senior Officer-Power Weapon, Plasma Pistol, Refractor Field, Chimera w/Heavy Bolter

Armoured Fist
Chimera w/All Heavy Bolters, 1 Missile Launcher, 1 Melta

Armoured Fist
Chimera w/All Heavy Bolters, 1 Missile Launcher, 1 Melta

Armoured Fist
Chimera w/All Heavy Bolters, 1 Mortar, 1 Grenade Launcher

Orgyns
6 Ogryns

Sentinals
1 Lascannon, 2 Autocannons

Fluff
A relatively backwater planet evolved independently of Imperium (same tech level as today). After an Imperial Crusade pushed back a Waagh! A splinter fell upon this planet. Completely overwhelmed they resorted to their ultimate weapons of war and devastated the planet with them(e.g Tallarn). Their society destroyed they were forced to scavenge and adapt what they could to survive. Becoming a tough, hardened folk they evolved into clanholds waging war for control of water, promethium and semi fertile fields. Rediscovered by the advancing Imperials they were integrated into Imperial society. Oddly enough they had already worshipped one god and when the orks came they started using mutants as slaves, cannon fodder and meat for their gladiatorial arenas. Thus they fit relatively well into galactic society.

Unlike other planets theyhave stayed low tech and wage perpetual war against each other and the ork klans in the deep desert. Regiments are a motley assortment of ramshackle vehicles and gear. Soldiers wield what they want or have and thus some have slug throwers or lasguns. Uniforms are non existent and consist of whatever he has or stolen. Vehicles are the center of regimental life and the crews tend to upgrade their vehicles and are prone to flamboyant upgrades or actions to outdue other groups. In addition they loot and steal anything they can. Weapons, food, armor, clothes, shiny things anything is fair game to them.

In battle they fight with a savage abandon reminiscent of Orks. Gleefully destroying anything that moves these men are happiest with a gun in hand and enemies to shoot at. Hard to control they refuse to serve under anyone not from their home planet. Commisars invariably have tragic accidents or go MIA. It rare to see them in anything of an organized assault prefering chaos to order and luck to careful planning.

That's everything I have right now. Suggestions on how to make the chimeras (thinking of ork vehicles or open rhino) In addition I haven't decided on a name yet. I was thinking the Tamlaxian Hellhounds but any suggestions are welcome! C&C please!
Old 08 Nov 2006, 05:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Mad Max style Army

meltas, refractors and plasmas in a "low-tech" world? i sure like the idea of a mad max style army, but ya really need custom/vdr vehicles...

pretty sure ya still need to take a regular infantry platoon before you take a mechanized one. you just buy them chimeras.

good luck!

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Tauroc/Si..._berserker.gif
HailTheRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2006, 05:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well that's is where the scavenging part comes in! A melta lifted there. Pocketing the dead commisar's PP. Also the regiment itself is fully equipped with modern imperial equipment. It is the planet itself that is relatively low tech. A native might never see a plasma gun or a melta gun. Besides the munifactorum gives all regiments equipment so they could have gathered some of the more exotic equipment via legal channels.

On the Chimera note that is why I have mechanised. Unless I misunderstood Mechanized. Too my knowledge the Armoured Fist their restriction on having a normal IG squad...If I'm wrong I'll need to rework my list then...
Old 08 Nov 2006, 06:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Pretty cool idea. I suggest converting some rough riders on bikes and possibly some sort of sentinel conversion into dune buggies or some sort of ATV.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2006, 06:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The did that in a white dwarf around 280-295 somewhere, it looked really cool, some of the old ork vehicles would work with human drivers

Turning and Turning in the widening gyre, the falcon cannot hear the falconer; Things fall apart; The centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
W.B. Yeates
The Second Coming

Thanks to Drobot for the sig
Inquisitor Walsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2006, 08:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah, its on the UK GW website.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2006, 13:13   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

You're a bit confused on how "Mechanised" works.

Mechanised means every Guard Infantry in your army, including Command Squads, must have a Chimera. You do not use the Armoured Fist entry; indeed, you cannot field them at all in a Mechanised force to my knowledge.

So, you buy a normal Guard Infantry platoon, and buy enough Chimeras to carry them all. That's how the Doctrine works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2006, 15:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

ah yes lootin! gotcha. im pretty sure ya can still take one armored fist per infantry platoon, cus it says each one must have a chimera whether it can or cant.

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Tauroc/Si..._berserker.gif
HailTheRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2006, 15:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailTheRuss
ah yes lootin! gotcha. im pretty sure ya can still take one armored fist per infantry platoon, cus it says each one must have a chimera whether it can or cant.
You may use Armored Fist squads with the `Mechanized Doctrine.' The Doctrine states that Guard Infantry units must take a Chimera. Guard Infantry is defined at the botton left of page 55. Armored Fist squads already have a Chimera (as you pointed out, it's "can or can't" all converted to "must") and nothing stops you from taking them. You are still subject to the rule that you must have a single platoon selection before taking an armored fist squad though. However, this is pointless because every infantry squad within a platoon is literally the same thing as buying an armored fist squadron. The only difference is, the armored fist is a separate troop entry (for filling compulsory for example), when it comes to the mechanized list building process. That separation is important not only for filling compulsory (example, two troops, one platoon, one armored fist squad), but also for escalation since the entire contents of one troop selection (such as the platoon) is determined with a single roll, whereas an armored fist squad would be a separate roll for each selection (due to being a separate troop selection).

Cheers!