Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to properly use Kasrkin?
Closed Thread
Old 25 Oct 2006, 20:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to The_Greater_Good
Default How to properly use Kasrkin?

I like Kasrkin but I don't know exactly how to use them, should I use Chimera transport, foot-slog, or deepstrike? What weapons upgrades to take? Help ???

If you need help with a Tau army list, go ahead and pm me, always willing to help.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 20:20   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: How to properly use Kasrkin?

Infiltrate them.

As for weapons upgrade, melta or a grenade laucher will do for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 21:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

i like a 5 man squad with both special weapons slots taking plasma. ( take advantage of that carapace save and use plasma guns for these guys because i'm too cowardly to give those guns to a guy in flak armor) the hellgun really isnt very good, so minimize numbers per squad to maximize special weapons. infiltrate and deepstrike are both good. i prefer deep strike but it depends on how you play. the idea is to drop them where they can get a rear shot on a big vehicle with those plasma guns- - if there are no big vehicles you can use them to mow down isolated infantry squads and claim board corners.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 01:05   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion
i like a 5 man squad with both special weapons slots taking plasma. ( take advantage of that carapace save and use plasma guns for these guys because i'm too cowardly to give those guns to a guy in flak armor) the hellgun really isnt very good, so minimize numbers per squad to maximize special weapons. infiltrate and deepstrike are both good. i prefer deep strike but it depends on how you play. the idea is to drop them where they can get a rear shot on a big vehicle with those plasma guns- - if there are no big vehicles you can use them to mow down isolated infantry squads and claim board corners.
But then again for as good as Kasrkin are... taking a 5man squad with two plasmas and dropping it behind enemies lines is like saying "shoot me cause i'm staring at the large rear end of your horribly expensive tank" ... In those situation i'd rather have myself armed with a pair of meltas than plasmas just for the extra damage it can do to tanks...

Also how much "mowing down of isolated squads" do you think you'll do if you drop in behind the enemy... With a 5 man squad a lucky plasma cannon shot, or even a squad of scouts could take you and your plasmas out.... ???

Personally i'd probably infiltrate a 8 - 10 man squad of Kasrkin into cover and equip them with Plasmas and let them sit there and take pot shots at squads and with the help of an infantry platoon or a russ etc hold down a board edge... Then if the need arises use the Kasrkin as a counter charge or use them (in the later stages of a battle) as bait to draw fire away from other areas.... 8)

Anyways thats my 2c

White Ninja Warlord >
Old 26 Oct 2006, 01:33   #5 (permalink)
General Stupidity

You should try the Games Workshop Tactica on Storm Troopers, which can be found here.

Old 26 Oct 2006, 15:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis_vyper
Infiltrate them.
Yes. Thats what you should do. I use my storm troops (when use them) as extra squads acting alongside my commander and/or sentinels. They make a good back-up troops but ain't anything extra special on their own.

My final word. Go with the plasma/melta combo...They are versatile that way...
Old 26 Oct 2006, 17:00   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Since i have TOO much firepower in my army (3 leman russes, and 2 sentinels, and a hellhound) i use mine with plasma guns, and plasma pistol, just sit back and tag anything with buckets of plasma fire. There more accurate than my sentinels, so the two squads usually get the task of nuking terminators, along with my demolisher. Also, thanks to the hellguns, i can safely use them to take out those nasty swarms, having the plasma guns as "sure kills"
Old 26 Oct 2006, 18:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I am not to be used! What kind of man do you think I am? :P

Ahem...

It does depend on what kind of enemy you're facing. Those hellguns are just lasguns against MEQs. In that kind of situation they're best tooled up with meltas and deep-striking behind some armour. Otherwise, plasmas/launchers are a good bet, both for dealing with light infantry and toasting the odd heavier target from an infiltrating position. I wouldn't bother mechanising the squad, unless you're going for a thematic army. For the points you pay, it's far cheaper to deep strike/infiltrate, and if you want more heavy weapons, stick them on your guard infantry or put the points towards another Leman Russ.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Old 27 Oct 2006, 06:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would use small squads with meltas and deepstrike them as heavy hitters. They get in behind rear armor, blast the sucker and then they're pretty much toast. You have to know in advance that the squad will be decimated if deepstriking so you might as well annihilate a more expensive unit before they go down themselves.
Otherwise, a safer and more practical method of use has already been highlighted. Infiltrate them with plasma guns and hold off in cover. They make a great unit for contesting quarters and don't go down easy.
So it depends on your mentality-force support and stability or aggressive carbombers.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 14:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to The_Greater_Good

Thanks alot guys, I plan on running a three 10-man squads of Kasrkin in my army.

If you need help with a Tau army list, go ahead and pm me, always willing to help.
Closed Thread