Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sanctioned Psyker...
Old 05 Oct 2006, 05:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Aarhus
Default Sanctioned Psyker...

What do you think of giving a Sanctioned Psyker a Force Weapon/Laspistol and an Honorifica Imperials (whichever gives him an HSO profile)?

It gives you a nasty little surprise in a counter charge unit, or throw him in a unit of assaulty vets with a fist, just to bolster combat after 3 melta shots.

Thought and comments all welcome!

Cheers,
Lawrence.

All that I write is wrong.
All that is left is right.
- Liber Chaotica, Book of Tzeentch

Vengeance and goo flow through my veins.
I shall paint this town a sanguine shade of doom!
- Battlecry generator
Aarhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2006, 06:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke
Default Re: Sanctioned Psyker...

Keep in mind that the Honorifica won't help with his save, not like it would matter (same save as an HSO anyways). Carapace Armour would fix that, though. Maybe upgrade that laspistol to a bolt pistol? It's a cheap upgrade (VERY cheap ).That gives him something better than a laspistol to use, not like you are depending on him to do shooting damage, but at least it's something.

My 2 cents.

-Nuke

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2006, 15:20   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

don't forget that with the hardened fighters upgrade, you can boost him to weapon skill 5!

ive had this idea floating around my GW, led one of us to create a darth vader look alike to go with white storm troopers!
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2006, 17:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarhus
What do you think of giving a Sanctioned Psyker a Force Weapon/Laspistol and an Honorifica Imperials (whichever gives him an HSO profile)?

Thought and comments all welcome!

Cheers,
Lawrence.
Here's a way to think about it,

The Psyker
-Honorifica Imperialis
-Force Weapon
62 base points here - The cost of 10 Guardsmen base.

What you're getting:
4x base attacks @ WS4 @ I4 @ Str3
Against enemy T3/WS3 models: 1.3 wounds caused, so rounding: 1 casualty. You killed a Guardsmen with no save.
Against enemy T3/WS4+ models: 1 wound caused on average again. So now you've bagged a T3 character probably.
Against enemy T4/WS4+ models: 0.7 wounds caused on average. Rounding, you're getting close to 1 marine/character kill.
Against enemy T5+/WS5+ (monstrous creatures): 0.3 wounds caused on average. Odds are, you did nothing.

So what are you wanting from your Psyker? Do you want him to slay a Hive Tyrant? Daemon Prince? Wraithlord? If so, don't count on it. You will rarely be able to kill them since you have such low strength and they have such high defense; and remember, many of them have invulnerable saves to further make it rough on you.

You have decent odds of slaying a T4 character, like a Marine HQ character. But you will have to hope they fail their invulnerable save as well. But at least you have ok odds to pull this off, compared to killing something with higher toughness.

You have great odds to bust a T3 character, like some Eldar, Dark Eldar, enemy Inquisition, Sister, Guard, etc, characters. You have good odds of slaying them, however, you also have better odds to kill them simply shooting them. So it's a question of how you want to try to pull it off.

Weapon Skill - Regardless of your weapon skill, you're going to be hitting WS4,5,6 etc on a 4+. Things with multiple wounds, will usually have WS5 or better in the T4 category. So upgrading your weapon skill via buffs is not going to have you striking any more often against them. The only time your weapon skill being higher than 4 matters, is when striking WS4 characters or multi-wound models--which are actually quite rare by comparison.

-- So if you're looking to add a minimum of 62 points into this character in order to slay a single GEQ or MEQ character, go for it, if you think they'll just come to you and let you kill them. If you want to try to kill anything tougher than a standard MEQ, I recommend you forget that and load up on meltas and just do the job with shooting. You're not going to hose a greater daemon for example, but you can bust a Chaplain, if he fails that 4+ invulnerable save.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. A powerfist would be overall more reliable to do damage to an all target approach. But if you want to try to assassinate a T4 or less character who comes to you all the time then by all means, take your Psyker.

Cheers!
Old 07 Oct 2006, 07:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The tooled up sanctioned psyker isn't a competitive unit, but I've found him to be fun. I play one for fluff purposes in an all storm trooper army, an already uncompetitive army to begin with. The psyker's one advantage is he's untargettable. Honestly for close combat though. you're better off putting the honorifica on a vet sarge and giving him a powerfist (only in a veteran squad though).
Old 07 Oct 2006, 21:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

i think that is the usual armament i have seen. nobody takes psykers for their lame psych powers... they take them to turn them into force weapon wielding honorifica monsters... any other use is a futile waste. it is pretty unusual for other armies to actually fear a guard assault, but it is still comparatively weak, and adding a powerfist commie, honor psyker with a forcesword, and a priest eviscerator along with ccw guardsmen to the squad can make it a bit more fearable. we still have a STR of 3 so we still kinda suck in general. with enuff points you could make a pretty mean assaulty command squad based around the honor psyker. but its dang expensive. strongly suggested doctrines Die Hard, Hard Fighters, and Close Order Drill if you really want to attempt this kind of command squad. personally, i believe the points are better spent on an extra tank or squad rather than a flukey gimicky possibly mediocre close combat hero squad. average marines, grunty orks, and skilley elves will still kick your butt if you try the assault angle no matter how many points you blow on your HQ..
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2006, 03:31   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion
strongly suggested doctrines Die Hard, Hard Fighters, and Close Order Drill if you really want to attempt this kind of command squad.
Can the command squad use the close order drill? I thought it was only regular guardsman, please let me know, it would be great if we could!
Burke888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2006, 15:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion
strongly suggested doctrines Die Hard, Hard Fighters, and Close Order Drill if you really want to attempt this kind of command squad.
Can the command squad use the close order drill? I thought it was only regular guardsman, please let me know, it would be great if we could!
ach no codex handy, but i believe command squads count as 'guard infantry' so all doctrines can apply to them that apply to a regular squad.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2006, 17:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Personally, a psyker is ment for a very cheap psychic firebase, nothing more.

At the cost of two guardsmen, there's no point giving him more if he's just going to blow himself up.
Old 08 Oct 2006, 18:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Actually, I find the psyker good if you leave an otherwise cheap command squad out there for those fast Chaos Lts that infiltrate to see. When they pounce smackem in the face w/ the force weapon.

I've seen it done in local gaming stores.