Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Refused Flank, Guard Style
Closed Thread
Old 03 Oct 2006, 21:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Elcampbello
Default Refused Flank, Guard Style

Refused flank is an old trick, but one that's often hard to pull off. Stolen from the 3rd edition Space Marine Codex, is sitting into one corner and pounding away. However this is really easy to spot, and even easier to counter. So how do we pull this off and win? Gather around comerades and find out.

[size=13pt]How it works[/size]

The idea behind this tactic is that you will have your forces concentrated and your opponent will be spread thin, making them easier to deal with. To do this we need to make them think that we are deploying in a line.

[size=13pt]Army List[/size]

Composing the army correctly for this trick is vital. Form hence forth all units will be devided into 2 sections. The refused flank units (RF, Bait) and everything else (anchor). Here's a list of good RF units and some very bad ones.

Good RF unis

Hardened Veterans- As these boys can infiltrate and are dirt cheap for being able to hold thier own they are very, very good.
Armoured Fist Squads-Hop in your ride and roll away.
Rough Riders- Move as cavalry and fleet? Yes Please!
Ratlings- Put these guys in cover to make it look like a real strong point.
Hellhounds- Simply put it's cheaper to do it with than a Leman Russ

Bad RF units

Infantry Platoons & Conscripts- To slow to cumbersome
Command Platoons- Unless in Chimiera too valuble, and have a better use (see later)
Basslisk- Bit hit and miss on this, can be good and can't. As a rule of thumb don't risk it.
Heavy Weapon Squads-You want to move your heavy weapons?!?
Storm Troopers- better uses elsewere
Leman Russ- Provides too solid an anchor not to be on the real flank.

[size=13pt]How to pull it off[/size]

And so we now come to the actualy how, now we've got the who. Make sure to deploy one a unit on each side as you go. So it would be Bait, Anchor, Bait etc as much as is possible. This keeps your opponent on their toes and will likely enough match you unit for unit.

Make sure to have your center clear until you're about half way through your deployment. Put something bid but not important there to keep them guessing, but for the love of god make sure it dosn't block your way from one flank to the other.

In the end you should have something like this:

RF----Center Something-----Anchor

Now, if your opponent is a compleat tool, they will have done the same thing.

Onto turn one. Race all your RF units as fast as possible over to the anchor. Due to pythag's theory they will arrive before the units on the opposing side. Which is awesome for you, becasue it give you the poertunity to deal with the opposing army peice meal.

[size=13pt]Macharian Cross[/size]

This little wonder lets you throw the concept of RF and Anchor unit out the window. Basicly it lets you re deploy a unit after deployment. This trick is called the Bait & Switch. Make your enemy think that the flank you intend to abandon is the one you want to keep by putting something like a leman russ on one flank. Get a command squad within 12" of it, in the center, and watch your opponents jaw hit the floor as it flys across the battle field.

Well that's my small tactica over, try it out and tell me what you think!

[size=11pt](Good stuff! +1 Karma for you sir! -Mal)[/size]
Old 04 Oct 2006, 00:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Refused Flank, Guard Style

wow, thats a pretty cool idea of deception you got there lol

now i know what too watch out for >
Old 04 Oct 2006, 00:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Refused flank is an awseome tactic against foot slogger cc armies. I do it with my tau all the time, harder to do it with guard but if this strat is pulled off i suspect it would much much more effective because of the high out put of fire guard can deliver.

Old 04 Oct 2006, 01:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Mage001 Send a message via MSN to Mage001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcampbello
[size=13pt]Macharian Cross[/size]

This little wonder lets you throw the concept of RF and Anchor unit out the window. Basicly it lets you re deploy a unit after deployment. This trick is called the Bait & Switch. Make your enemy think that the flank you intend to abandon is the one you want to keep by putting something like a leman russ on one flank. Get a command squad within 12" of it, in the center, and watch your opponents jaw hit the floor as it flys across the battle field.

Well that's my small tactica over, try it out and tell me what you think!
Last bit won't work. Vehicles can't be redeployed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan
I'd like to call it... "Fair", I mean, she has boobs, how'd we compete?
Old 04 Oct 2006, 01:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hmm... I use this often. I actually mentioned it in A Guide to Starting The Imperial Guard.

Karma is well deserved... I'm glad someone finally adapted it to Guard and put it on paper. Now our secret tactic can be shared with all!

It's actually not secret... anyone with a 3rd Edition SM Codex knows what it is...

Well done!
Stankov

PS: The best part is, now I don't feel like I have to write one

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 04 Oct 2006, 15:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mage
It can't? Bugger, didn't have my 'dex on hand whilst writing that.
Old 04 Oct 2006, 18:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Mage001 Send a message via MSN to Mage001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcampbello
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mage
It can't? Bugger, didn't have my 'dex on hand whilst writing that.
Unfortunately it can't. Also the unit has to be within 6" of the Officer instead of 12". However, I believe you can take more then one because it only says Officers Only. Based on that, if you have the points, you can give all your platoon commanders the same thing and redeploy atleast 3 different squads. That's not bad for the points cost, probably paying it back 5 times over atleast. ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan
I'd like to call it... "Fair", I mean, she has boobs, how'd we compete?
Old 07 Oct 2006, 00:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

mach cross usually considered too expensive for its game value. its a filler upgrade. tanks cant reposition, and i think a leman is infinitely more useful than a HH. it is hard to justify a flank deployment on a 4x4 table where a lot of weapons are restricted by LOS and not by range. i like the idea, but the practical says just buy lotsa guns and shoot them as often as possible. refused flank may be useful in epic scale where artillery is more valid, but all in all on a small table game you are stuck with a little area to work with and cant really plan on which unit can hold a specific battlefield area. the guns shoot too far, the assault units move too fast, and the terrain teleporting that can be accomplished since overwatch was abolished makes this just a theoretical tactic that seems hard to realize.
Old 07 Oct 2006, 05:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Centurion, tell us how you really feel ;D

I agree on a 4X4 this is a hard tactic to make work, however this is a very good was to have all your firepower focus on one unit at a time. Six turn game you can do some damage while limiting your own.

however, Deep Stike assault units would tear a Guard Refused flank to bits, you would just be to close
"If your soldiers show fear in the face of the Emperor's enemies, shoot the first man that falters. If this does not work shoot a man until the unit is either functioning properly or decimated. There can be no fear in the Imperial Guard."

----

Comment attributed to Commissar Ran Creed Attached to the Savlar 42nd

Status -- Killed by Friendly Fire
Old 07 Oct 2006, 10:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishoneall
however, Deep Stike assault units would tear a Guard Refused flank to bits, you would just be to close
Really? Lets say, for the sake of argument, a unit of termies drops in. There's a chance they'll scatter onto a unit, but lets say the don't. At most, they paste one squad or one tank. Then? Your enitre army pours fire into them. So you lost an 90 point squad of guards men, he just lost an X points unit of termies.

Centurion: Firstly, where did I metion hammerheads? As for the size of table, I assumed most people would play on a 4X6 table, but you do rasie a fair point, on small tables, chances are this isn't going to work.

As for the tactic it's not theoretical, it's psychological and I've seen it work, with varying degress of sucsess. The next time you play someone after using refused flank they'll be on the look out for it, which is a great way of messing with their heads.