GRENADIERS
DROP TROOPS
LIGHT INFANTRY
CARAPACE ARMOR

any other ideas are welcome

Old 02 Oct 2006, 21:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: doctrine ideas

Taking that many options leaves you essentially nothing but infantry squads and tanks. Also, there's no reason to take storm trooper squads since you have grenadiers which basically makes your infantry storm troopers. Which makes carapace armor a doctrine that could be used better elsewhere. Drop storm troopers because with Grenadiers its kind of a waste. Maybe replace that option with special weapons squads that could lay down some serious damage with the drop troop doctrine.

My army will be a very technologically advanced army. But also a cityfight based army. With that in mind I took grenadiers ,light infantry, rough riders(converting them to be on bikes) and as far as the other two doctrines I'm leaning towards cyber-enchancement and special weapons teams. This army will take awhile to convert so until it's done I'm not set on the remaining two doctrines and will need to play test it to see what works best.

Another thing to consider is that just picking up some cadians and saying they have carapace armor might not fly playing against people you don't know, so you might weigh some of your options with how much time, if any, you want to spend making your army "look the part."

Old 02 Oct 2006, 21:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

Normally storm troopen aren't the best choice however that might be diffrent.

Now I suggest you drop the grennidersand carapace(not the best plus you can'[t mix it with light infantry), and use storm troopers as your elites.(storm troopers can already deepstrike for +1 point.)
you need basic troops to be effective.

Now in the case that you have a fetish whith the storm troops then I suggest you play gaurd with dmon hunter allies.

In the case of you enemys though I would say,

Sharp shooters,
heavy wepon teams,
close order drill
xeno fighters(orks)
and something to fit you (maybee drop troops or mech?) can't really chose for you though.

And last. I've yet to see a person not exept caidans as having carapace,Now cathans is a diffrent story...
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
Old 02 Oct 2006, 22:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by T pok
Normally storm troopen aren't the best choice however that might be diffrent.

Now I suggest you drop the grennidersand carapace(not the best plus you can'[t mix it with light infantry), and use storm troopers as your elites.(storm troopers can already deepstrike for +1 point.)
you need basic troops to be effective.

And last. I've yet to see a person not exept caidans as having carapace,Now cathans is a diffrent story...
Read over the doctrines again. It says you can give carapace armor to any infantry units.

People who don't convert their troops to have carapace on them are just lazy. :P I just think if you want a "unique" guard army you should convert them to look the part.
Old 02 Oct 2006, 23:34   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I've never had any luck with a army list that was just stormtroopers when fighting against orcs. the problem with stormtroopers is that their too specialized you need to equip them properly for them to work.

Carapace armour is a waste of points in my opinion..decking out your regular troops who have str. 3 guns with brand new shiny +5 armour never really took my fancy.

I didnt even think you were allowed taking carapace armour without showing it on the models. Cadians only wear flak on the models compare them to the stormtroopers, cadians only have the shoulder pads and breastplate, while the stormtroops have the same but it covers more of the model as well as knee pads to show that they have carapace armour.

I would add special weapons teams if you intend to run a full stormtrooper army it sort of makes up for the lack of guns you have.
Old 03 Oct 2006, 01:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

mmm, so how can you tell if a model has carapace armor or flak? ???
Old 03 Oct 2006, 02:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

i think that stroops and grenadiers is double stacking. i am pretty sure you dont have to use a slot for both - if you take grenadiers you dont need to take stroops as a doctrine.
Old 03 Oct 2006, 02:51   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe (Firewarrior26)
mmm, so how can you tell if a model has carapace armor or flak? ???
well by using the basic Cadian as a example for flak, then any armour added to addition to that can be interpreted as Carapace..you know its sort of like the dragonzord when it combines with the megazord.
Old 03 Oct 2006, 04:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoLousianna

Carapace armour is a waste of points in my opinion..decking out your regular troops who have str. 3 guns with brand new shiny +5 armour never really took my fancy.

I didnt even think you were allowed taking carapace armour without showing it on the models. Cadians only wear flak on the models compare them to the stormtroopers, cadians only have the shoulder pads and breastplate, while the stormtroops have the same but it covers more of the model as well as knee pads to show that they have carapace armour.
Carapace armor is 4+.

But I think you're right, it should be shown on the model if you want that bonus. It's just like anything else you add in your army. It should be shown on the model.

Old 03 Oct 2006, 05:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Someone show the good man the point for point analysis on carapace...

Summary: Carapce sucks.

Have you, thread author, ever considered using the standard Guard list?

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Closed Thread