Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vehical Question
Closed Thread
Old 01 Oct 2006, 19:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Vehical Question

(I did do a few quick searchs on this)

I was thinking about putting together an Armoured Company List (I like making random lists ;D), but had a question about vehicals.

Obviously, with so many tanks, I would have to be careful about how I arm them. Looking at my Vehicals Moving and Shooting Summary, I see that the most weapons a "Any vehical that is neither fast nor a walker" (i.e. tanks) is one ordanace weapon- even if they are stationary! So is it true that if my tank didn't move I'd only be able to fire either its battle cannon (assume its a russ) OR the sponsons, hull weapon, and pintle mounted weapon? And that if I moved 6" I would stull be able to fire an ordanance weapon, OR 1 main weapon/ and defensive weapons?

Of course THAT brought on my questions about classification of weapons. Obviously a battle cannon is ordance, but what about the sponsons/hull/pintle? are they all defnesinve (leaving no main weapons) or is the hull main and the sponsons and pintle defensive?

That was probably very confusing, so, in short:

What can I fire (in terms of battle cannnon, pintle weapon, sponsons, and hull) when I move 0", and 6"?

P.S.: Do the IG have ANY fast vehicals?

Thanks
Old 01 Oct 2006, 19:46   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Vehical Question

Basically, Ordnance is an "all or nothing" weapon for firing; if you want to fire Ordnance, you cannot fire anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 01 Oct 2006, 19:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

Wargamer's got it. Also, if you take a hull mounted lascannon, that wouldn't count as a defensive weapon
(correct me if I'm wrong on that one). Not that it would matter, of course, because you are still allowed to fire 1 main and your pintle and sponsons. The IG does have a fast vehicle, but it requires IA rules to use. It's the salamander scout vehicle.

I have a question, pertaining to the main weapons/defensive weapons rules: would the sponsons on a Demolisher (IE: plasma cannons or multi meltas) count as main weapons? They are above the strength for a defensive weapon, so I would assume yes. If it is yes, then can you fire both sponsons, or just one? (IE: fire one of the sponson guns or the lascannon, or count the sponsons as one main weapon for the purposes of moving and firing.)

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Old 01 Oct 2006, 20:33   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

well, since they fire independantly, they count as two main weapons. therefore you may only fire one.

If you want to get teh led out, take an exterminator with three heavy bolters
Old 01 Oct 2006, 20:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Oooh... that would put the hurt on..... a conqueror w/ 3 HBs would also work quite well...

Old 01 Oct 2006, 23:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

mmm isnt a salamander a fast vehicle? mmm, not sure...
Old 02 Oct 2006, 00:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Correct, I mentioned it in my above post.

Old 02 Oct 2006, 15:06   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Technically speaking, i woud get the exterminator, more chance of hitting with those twin-linked auto cannons
Old 03 Oct 2006, 15:21   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Tanks may fire like this:

Stationary: All main and defensive weapons OR 1 ordanance weapon.

0 to 6 inches: 1 main and all defensive OR 1 ordanance weapon.

Main weapons are weapons with strength 7+.

So, a Demolisher with plasma/multimelta sponsons could fire them both if it was stationary, but must still fire them at one target--ie, it better be straight in front of the tank.

Also, ordanance weapons roll 2D6 and pick the highest for deviation if it moved during the turn.

As Nuke stated, if you are using IA rules, a conquerer with 3 heavy bolters and a pintle mounted heavy stubber will toss out a TON of shots...
Closed Thread