Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do Catachans fare in battle (help needed)
Closed Thread
Old 01 Oct 2006, 14:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default How do Catachans fare in battle (help needed)

Okay I might be buying some for a project but at the same time I like the look of the models and well they are not a huge group (well selection wise) and their fluff is pretty cool. I have a Grey Knight army at the moment (but I may be getting rid of them).

Should I collect a Catachan army?
Is it worth it?

(My project http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=32632.0)
Old 02 Oct 2006, 02:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: How do Catachans fare in battle (help needed)

Catachans are worth it, if you use a jungle terrain board. the problem is that the catachan rulebook is no longer official, so that may cause problems if your opponent doesn't agree.

Turning and Turning in the widening gyre, the falcon cannot hear the falconer; Things fall apart; The centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
W.B. Yeates
The Second Coming

Thanks to Drobot for the sig
Old 02 Oct 2006, 02:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jolly Soldier
Catachans are worth it, if you use a jungle terrain board. the problem is that the catachan rulebook is no longer official, so that may cause problems if your opponent doesn't agree.
Their codex may not be legal but if you use the Jungle Fighters doctrine you can legally field them. The codex has a list of doctrines that can be used to represent the Catachans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal Black Mage
The sacrament of Dakka can be expressed only by those who have experienced it. It is a holy sacrament (of fire) that states "We are firing our guns at you. Die."
Old 02 Oct 2006, 11:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Codex: Catachans are only any good in jungle terrain, and even then certain forces will give them loads of trouble, especially Tyranids. You will want to go absolutely crazy with flamers, heavy flamers and meltaguns. You'll want to make good use of ambushes (but be careful as these can backfire badly if you don't know what you're doing). Don't rely on booby traps unless you're playing against GEQs, same for mortars and snipers, and even then this is really only for psychological warfare. An Assault Squad is absolutely essential for any Catachan force, no matter who you're fighting against. Tool them up with Demo Charges and send them towards the biggest armoured threat (with some backup of course - I've found that Sentinels are good for this). For close combat, which you are going to be seeing quite a bit of (don't worry too much, WS4 is a big step up from WS3) you'll need an Ogryn squad (possibly, as I've never tried this - too much £££) and/or a tooled up Command HQ, preferably with a Commissar. Don't worry too much about the Commissar's "interesting" special rule, it only affects you 1/6 of the time.

The biggest drawbacks to the Catachans are (a) they die outside jungle. A lot. If you want to use them in open battle, just use them as doctrineless guard or something. (b) If another player is able to sufficiently tailor their force for jungle terrain, you're in trouble. This is largely because other armies can get great jungle fighting equipment dirt cheap compared to the huge premium Catachans pay for the same stuff (often 2-3x). Just imagine a Space Marine player tooling up with CCWs and flamers and with 3 Whirlwinds sitting in the back.

PS if anyone has ever witnessed/played a Kroot Mercs vs Catachans match-up then I'd very much like to hear about it.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Old 02 Oct 2006, 12:16   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

If fighting in jungle, then they are insanely good. I have seen them take a force twice their size down, all because of the jungle.

Outside the jungle, they'll be lucky to damage the enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 02 Oct 2006, 17:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I have played against Catachans in Jungle with my infantry heavy guard and lost even though I outnumbered him nearly two to one.

as others have said...

evil in jungle, rubbish in the open.

(note: love the models)
Old 02 Oct 2006, 21:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenKnowledge the Knowledgable
Outside the jungle, they'll be lucky to damage the enemy.
Using a pure Catachans force, I have won one battle in a standard "open" battle. It was against Dark Eldar, and was one of my proudest moments in 40k.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Old 08 Oct 2006, 01:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

You guys need to learn their finer ways... I have only ever lost two battles in any terrain!

Their codex is offical (if you dl it from the GW site)

you just need a fine army composition, have a look at some of my lists for composition. ask any questions you have here and i should be able to answer them