Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Inquisition in Guard.
Closed Thread
Old 27 Sep 2006, 01:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander
Default Inquisition in Guard.

Right to the point. I wanted to include an Inquisitor (Witch hunter) into my Guard army (that is still in the theory stages... ) for fluff purposes (I won't get into it). What I was unsure of was how do i include them tactically? I know zip about Inquisitor Tactics, so I'm clueless here. Some help would be appreciated.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 27 Sep 2006, 02:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Inquisition in Guard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR
Right to the point. I wanted to include an Inquisitor (Witch hunter) into my Guard army (that is still in the theory stages... ) for fluff purposes (I won't get into it). What I was unsure of was how do i include them tactically? I know zip about Inquisitor Tactics, so I'm clueless here. Some help would be appreciated.
Heya,

Inquisitors add a number of options to the Guard. Basically think of it like this:

A) Utility (deployment buff, chances to go first more often, nullification of psychic powers, bonus victory points under conditions, etc). Which Ordos you use will determine just what kind of support you can have. You will also gain support such as the ability fire upon deep striking units, or have other units fire upon deep striking units before they get a chance to do anything. Or you can block daemons, or block psychic powers.

B) Offensive punch. Basically, you can get a nice mass of BS4 weaponry of your choice. Typically, the plasma guns are useful for someone who is mobilized, and Heavy Bolters do the trick for any other stationary or foot squad. You don't need anything fancy. There are other weapons, but they're generally either too expensive, or not effective enough to bother. You also have psychic attacks, some which can ignore invulnerable saves, or directly attack psychic models.

C) Assassin and Land Raider access. Inquisitors unlock assassin use, so that you can take a powerful assassin in your army such as the Callidus assassin or Eversor. They also have the ability to take any transport they like practically, which includes a Land Raider. If you wanted to get a Land Raider or Assassin, or both into the force, the allied Inquisitor Lord would ally this to happen. Quite a nasty surprise for someone who was not expecting it.

-- And you can combine any of the three above, or take just one aspect. It's up to you.

For Imperial Guard, I generally recommend the Daemonhunter Ordos because of the better shooting options and utility options that they offer in their Inquisitors and henchmen, such as Mystics, Emperor's Tarot and Psycannons.

Cheers!
Old 27 Sep 2006, 03:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

what are the requirements to add an inquisitor to my IG army.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 04:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption1
Fill compulsory in your I.G. army (ie: HQ, 2x Troops). You may then take allies. You may ally 0-1 HQ from the WH or DH (Inquisitor Lord) or 0-1 Elite from the WH or DH (Inquisitor). So that's two Inquisitor options. If you want an assassin, make sure your Inquisitor is an HQ so that you have the Elite slot left open for the allied elite to be an Assassin.

Pretty simple and easy. Just a codex to prove it's legal to your opponent when they ask

Cheers!
Old 27 Sep 2006, 05:55   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Isn't teh land raider a heavy support choice and therefore unusable?
Old 27 Sep 2006, 13:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare
Isn't teh land raider a heavy support choice and therefore unusable?
Nope,

It's a transport selection for Inquisitors. It's not a heavy support. Think "rhinos for marines" or "chimeras for guardsmen." We get all that and a Land Raider for Inquisitors.

Cheers!
Old 27 Sep 2006, 15:14   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

;D

thanks for that... guess what im going to get for my guard!
Old 27 Sep 2006, 19:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption1
Fill compulsory in your I.G. army (ie: HQ, 2x Troops). You may then take allies. You may ally 0-1 HQ from the WH or DH (Inquisitor Lord) or 0-1 Elite from the WH or DH (Inquisitor). So that's two Inquisitor options. If you want an assassin, make sure your Inquisitor is an HQ so that you have the Elite slot left open for the allied elite to be an Assassin.

Pretty simple and easy. Just a codex to prove it's legal to your opponent when they ask

Cheers!
If you like, you can use grenadiers doctrine to fill both troop requirements with 5 man Storm Trooper Squads. You can make a whole sisters of battle army, with IG heavy weapons! Or imagine the surprise when a bunch of grey knights drop behind a tau army and start pumping lead into them. You do need to have the IG codex and the WH or DH codex to play this option. In order to use any of the models in 40k you (legally) need to have the basic ruleset as well.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 22:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

I have a Withc Hunters Codex, but not a DeamoN Hunters. Guess I'll have to check this out.

Thanks for the tips, 'specially Mal.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Closed Thread