Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Squads in cities of Death
Closed Thread
Old 26 Sep 2006, 05:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Squads in cities of Death

How do you guys use your regular squads in cities of death?

I have found that just giving them a special weapon and leaving the heavy weapons to fire support squads to be more effective. with teh small table and short lines of sight I like to keep my squads mobile and move multiple squads into rapid fire range

How do you guys work it?
"If your soldiers show fear in the face of the Emperor's enemies, shoot the first man that falters. If this does not work shoot a man until the unit is either functioning properly or decimated. There can be no fear in the Imperial Guard."

----

Comment attributed to Commissar Ran Creed Attached to the Savlar 42nd

Status -- Killed by Friendly Fire
Old 26 Sep 2006, 10:08   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Squads in cities of Death

I simply employ the traditional SIGAFH tactics of sitting in one place for five turns, then grabbing the objective when nothing's left to stop me.

Incidentally, I love Cityfight for that. My entire army gets a 4+ Cover Save, and is sat on an Ammo Dump. Groovy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 26 Sep 2006, 12:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

As Wargamer said, SIGAFH, shoot like hell then roll forward when nothing is left standing.

The Guard Way.
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Old 26 Sep 2006, 16:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishoneall
How do you guys use your regular squads in cities of death?

I have found that just giving them a special weapon and leaving the heavy weapons to fire support squads to be more effective. with teh small table and short lines of sight I like to keep my squads mobile and move multiple squads into rapid fire range

How do you guys work it?
You're headed in the right direction, in my opinion.

Depending on the board, heavy weapons are less useful for the Guard here, because (1) You rarely get line of sight to intelligent targets, (2) those targets get cover saves, (3) City Fight is won via moving around, not sitting still. That's not to say heavy weapons should be left out; by all means, you still need them. But setting up every single squad to sit still, bunched up in cover, is just going to be assaulted all the faster. You do need moving teams, and heavy weapons don't work there. Unfortunately, we can't double up special weapons.

Static Guard in a City Fight that doesn't move, simply is not City Fight, or does not win. There are exceptions, but City Fight is not a sit and shoot format (ie: not 100% sit and shoot). It's a very up close and personal format, like it was previous designed for and continued with Cities of Death. The old City Fight had Guard much more in mind, giving lots of special abilities and choices for vehicles mainly. However, in Cities of Death, they're not more singled out than any army, in terms of special abilities.

Taking infantry squads with special weapons is great. I would still recommend you pack a cheap heavy weapon in there (like a heavy bolter for example) because you never know when you'll be in a situation where sitting and hosing with that heavy bolter will be useful. But otherwise, Guardsmen moving around either to evade an opponent or to capture them, or simply to move into buildings, move up, take objectives, etc, are more useful than sitting turn after turn while your opponent just avoids your line of sight with a building, or just comes under the radar and assaults you.

-- That said, when I'm on a City Fight board, I tend to run more Veterans and Storm Troopers. I like the plasma (even if they have cover, it's the most flexible weapon you can take), and I like the smaller squad sizes so that I can fit more out there, moving, and setting up the shots. It's also nice to have shotguns (I like them better than Hellguns & Lasguns) for the, albeit rare, opportunity to attempt an assault (for squads with doubled flamers, or meltas, for example).

But it really depends on the rest of your force and who and how you're playing.

Cheers!
Old 26 Sep 2006, 17:22   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Clearly, Mal, you've never fought me in a High Ground scenario. Ah, that was a kingly mission...

"Ha! I've got my Assault Marines on the High Ground! How are you going to shift them now, Guard boy?"
"Hmm... 45 Lasguns, a Missile Launcher, a Lascannon, a Plasmagun, an Autocannon, two Heavy Bolters, a Battlecannon and a Griffon Mortar..."
*Lots of shooting later*
"Right, that's the Assault Marines gone. Now I just hope there's enough of the building left standing for me to claim..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 26 Sep 2006, 18:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

thanks inquisitor, I agree with the need for vets of storm troopers, I have found that the storm troopers are very valuable in cities of death, the frad/krak grenades and targeters really come in handy.

Furthermore the guard really come into their own when multiple squads get into rapid fire range, the lasgun becomes a bit more effective
"If your soldiers show fear in the face of the Emperor's enemies, shoot the first man that falters. If this does not work shoot a man until the unit is either functioning properly or decimated. There can be no fear in the Imperial Guard."

----

Old 27 Sep 2006, 00:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Furthermore the guard really come into their own when multiple squads get into rapid fire range, the lasgun becomes a bit more effective
That they do,

However, keep in mind that large infantry squads of 10 men, and multiple squads at that, will be rolling differing rough terrain rolls. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower. They may not always make the ground up to manage the rapid-fire range. This is important, because many times, once in rapid-fire range and once you have actually had a chance to shoot, if something doesn't die from it, you will probably end up in assault right afterwards. Then all the lasguns in the world don't help, if they can't shoot the target. And in assault, the terrain and mass of bases prevent the majority of the massed up guardsmen to do much other than wait their turn. Also, you have to manage your moral. If your officers are not near this, and you're not using various doctrines, and also, buying Veterans for each squad (masses of points there if you aren't overlapping moral aid). A lot of armies you can face, have ways of really tanking your leadership. Marines, Tyranid, Chaos, etc are very good at this. You may think things are great, and then a Fear of Darkness pops, or Visage kicks in, or Psychic Scream starts blanketing you. Anyhow, you get the idea. The more infantry you pack together, the more vulnerable they are to enemy templates as well.

It's good to try to overlap firepower. Great if you can manage it. Just don't expect it every game.

Anyhow, that's why I stated in general I go for the smaller squads that are already Ld8 or better that have doubled or better special weapons. They have small foot prints, don't require other leadership buffs or upgrades and have the same special weapon firepower, often times better with BS4. They're dead if something catches them, but so are normal infantry squads. The difference being more wounds, more lasguns piled up, and often times, more to lose. Behind those small hard hitting teams, are the infantry squads, with their shiny dakka guns, enjoying cover and sitting still (just not very many of them by comparison).

But hey, you may not be fighting anything special, or even something meant for City Fight.
All the environment, levels of play, etc, are all on your end to know; in order to better plan out what you think you should do.

Speaking of which, do you have plans for vehicles of any kind?

Cheers!
Old 27 Sep 2006, 02:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I actually love Hellhounds and have always had one, it always finds itself in my army, I also have a Leman Russ and a Chimera. I have access to a friends guard, which is painted the same scheme as my army and he has a Hellhound, Two Leman Russ tanks and a chimera as well.

So I would like to field two hellhounds, but the army I face mostly is a space marine army wirh alot of troops, he usually fields two or three full tactical squads two scout squads and an assault squad, it can be hard to stop.

----

Old 27 Sep 2006, 05:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

damn right it's hard to stop.

p.s. you can't use my guard tanks anymore. ;D
Old 27 Sep 2006, 13:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
So I would like to field two hellhounds, but the army I face mostly is a space marine army wirh alot of troops, he usually fields two or three full tactical squads two scout squads and an assault squad, it can be hard to stop.
Does he employ sewer rats stratagem with his marines?

Vehicles can go a long way here; normally Hellhounds blow up fast, but with buildings blocking sight, they can survive longer. Same with a Russ. Even with cover saves, a battle cannon is better than nothing as well. All those tanks are also considered cover depending what direction the marines come from. Dead or alive at that. 4+ cover, and without frag grenades, you get a tiny chance in assault.

That said, powerfists on veterans in squads that are going to be assaulted (hard vets) is a good way to plow some marines before going down. Not to mention the three plasma guns they have to suffer before they even get to do that.

Your tanks can be used to guide rally enemies; force altering line of sights and give you cover.

-- What kind of board do you play on? What's the terrain like?

Cheers!