Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Ig
Closed Thread
Old 27 Dec 2004, 12:42   #1 (permalink)
The Bloody Tyrant

Default Starting Ig

After my parents said i couldnt get tyranids, i decided to pick my original choice of Imperial Guard ( which is ok with them.. thank god.) On thursday I plan on buying some guard. I want to get 3 box sets of cadians and the officers blister pack. with thati believe i can make....
2 25 man infantry platoons
7 man veterans squad
1 command squad for hq. (with converting)
Would this be a good way to start off or instead should i buy 2 box sets of cadians, a chimera and officers blister. it cna make
1 25 man infantry platoon
1 armored fist squad
1 command squad (with converting)
I still havent fully thought out my fluff for the army but i jsut need some tips on whcih one would be better.

Old 27 Dec 2004, 23:14   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Starting Ig

Well first off, you'll need the basics:

Some abbreviations you'll want to remember:

JO = Junior Officer (or Lieutenant, for the old-school buffs).
SO = Senior Officer (Captain).
HSO = Heroic Senior Officer (Colonel).

So, with that done, you'll need:

One officer (JO, SO or HSO), and 4-man Command Squad.

Two Platoons, each comprising of a JO plus 4-man Command Squad, and 2 10-man squads.

Try to arm them with heavy weapons, I suggest Missile Launchers (for versitility) and Heavy Bolters (for cheapness and rate of fire).

Next up is the rest of the toys.

Leman Russ battletanks are very flexible, and thus I strongly encourage you to field at least one. The Demolisher is another good choice, especially if you plan to get up close and personal. Basilisks are over-rated, but can do well if used properly.

Fast attack is next: Hellhounds are a must. They can cause serious damage, and most opponents quickly learn to fear them. Sentinels are another excellent choice, either as a mobile tank-sniper, or a line-holder against infantry. They can also hold in assault against weak assault units (eg: those with no anti-vehicle weapons!). Rough Riders got screwed over in the new rules, and thus I no-longer recommend them.

For Elites, I'd go with Veterans. They are versitile, and can really do a lot of damage. Storm Troopers are a personal favourite, but only work well against 5+ save units, or when deep-striking behind enemy vehicles. Enginseers are a characterful choice, but are a tad impractical in reality.

A note on Commissars: They're a mixed blessing. Some swear by them, others swear at them. You don't need them, but they can help (especially if you have a counter-assault HQ choice...).

Heavy Weapon squads got raped in 4th Edition, but if you play 3rd (and I strongly encourage you to do so) they're an excellent choice. Mortar Squads work well in both editions, so long as they are deployed out of sight.

Hope that helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 06 Jan 2005, 22:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kre Mont re

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bloody Tyrant
After my parents said i couldnt get tyranids...
+++Why on earth aren't you allowed Tyrannids? I suppose I could understand the mentality of disliking 40k in general because it's too violent or something, or even 'cos it's a waste of money, but what's wrong with 'Nids in particular?+++

+++Anyway... well, for very starting out army, both your lists of stuff sound fine. Depends whether you want a little extra mobility in the form of a chimera for one of your squads, or more manpower. It's up to you really. Other than that WG's advice about expanding your army a little more sounds good+++

+++Also, a cheap way to get more heavy weapons for your money is to simply buy the heavy weapons box with only one team, and then split the weapons out between all your squads. You could have up to five weapons for only 8 this way. Obviously will require a little converting though, and you'll have to arm each squad with a different weapon too+++
Old 19 Jan 2005, 02:18   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to TanithGhost996

i got a quick question i just started the game a while back and i know how to play it and all but i dont know like how many points an army is like i have one regiment of 25 tanith a hell hound an iron fist squad 1 cominsar (gaunt) 2 sentenials and 2 heavy weapons squads? could you guys tell me how many point army that is?
Old 19 Jan 2005, 03:43   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

I'd estimate that list to be about 1k to the 1.5k region, but no more then 1.5k
Old 20 Jan 2005, 11:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ya..why not tyranids....is it because when the looked at the tyranid box, whoaalot of models-alot of money?
but isn't that the same for guard?

Is it* because your parents don't want you to have the ruthless killing race?

Quote:
i got a quick question i just started the game a while back and i know how to play it and all but i dont know like how many points an army is like i have one regiment of 25 tanith a hell hound an iron fist squad 1 cominsar (gaunt) 2 sentenials and 2 heavy weapons squads? could you guys tell me how many point army that is?
Sorry we're not allowed to post points stats or anything on the web.It's copyright to games workshop material.
you gotta buy the codex...

Which i should...
Old 20 Jan 2005, 11:28   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
We need more detail to be accurate.

For example, what are the Heavy Weapon squads armed with? What are the Sentinels armed with? Are you using Tanith Doctrines?

However, I'd estimate about 765pts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Closed Thread