Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The effectiveness of a Mechanized army vs. Tau
Closed Thread
Old 19 Sep 2006, 00:43   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default The effectiveness of a Mechanized army vs. Tau

i was pondering it the other day any thoughts?
Old 19 Sep 2006, 04:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun
Default Re: The effectiveness of a Mechanized army vs. Tau

As long as you have enough lascannons to take down the enemy skimmers and broadsides, AV 12+ is nearly impervious to str 6 or less weapons. AV 14 is only going down to railguns.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 07:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaldun
As long as you have enough lascannons to take down the enemy skimmers and broadsides, AV 12+ is nearly impervious to str 6 or less weapons. AV 14 is only going down to railguns.
Lacannon will almost never have a chance to hit a Broadside unless you're playing on a very small battlefield or your opponent is quite aggressive with his fielding of them. They've got more than a 48" range, so unless he chooses to place them in your line of fire, you're not touching them- there's easier ways to kill them than simply using giant expensive guns.

Never forget that your opponent does have Railguns and your Leman Russ is a prime target...so make your shots with it count for something.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 19 Sep 2006, 12:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

Well, a Bassie with Indirect Fire could probably be a big pain for broadsides... It's AP3, though....

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Old 19 Sep 2006, 13:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

A basilisk is an excellent weapon against Crisis or Stealth suits - they tend to hide behind terrain with their assault-move, and a basilisk has the power to blow straight through their armour (and insta-kill the multi-wound Crisis suits). To kill broadsides, however, you need either AP2 weaponry or a lot of small arms fire. In a mechanised list, you're going to be short of lascannons, but they're probably still your best bet. Alternatively, drive-by shootings - or even assaulting, later in the game - is a slower but surer way of dealing with them.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 16:10   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Drive by tactics work rather well when you take a squad or two of storm troopers armed to the teeth with plasma guns for taking out anythis that has a "suit" added to the end of their names. okay, they don't instant kill but a truck load of rapid fireing plasma guns at BS4 is never bad
Old 19 Sep 2006, 16:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

It really does depend on the type of Tau army you are facing.

Vs - Static;

If facing an army that contains lots of Fire Warriors on foot backed up by Sniper Drones and some Battlesuits then Mech Guard are great. Your Chimeras make you impervious to all of those Pulse shots and your pretty safe from the Sniper Drones and Plasma from suits, you can gun down plenty of Fire Warriors with your Chimeras and Hellhounds as you advance in relative safety and then you can finish them off in combat when you reach their lines

Vs - Mech;

If facing a Mech Tau army, then no, Mech Guard is not the way to go. The Tau just do it better than the Guard. Your Chimera weapons won't do much good against Devilfish and Hammerheads. You will have to face Deathrain Suits [which are great at downing your Chimeras] that are almost untargettable with all the Devilfish that will be around. The game would probably be quite low in the casualty stakes, but the Tau easily have the upper edge here. When those Deathrains pop a Chimera, Devilfish are there to drop in Fire Warriors to Rapid Fire your squads.

__________________________________________________ _________________________

With regards to Lascannons vs Broadsides, I really disagree Bash.

Boards are almost always 48" wide, the range of a Lascannon. Most of the time you have a 12" deployment zone so those Lascannons when facing straight off against Broadsides will be within 36". Many boards are 72" long, but with decent deployment at least some of your Lascannons should be in range or be in a position to get in range of those Broadsides.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 18:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
Boards are almost always 48" wide, the range of a Lascannon. Most of the time you have a 12" deployment zone so those Lascannons when facing straight off against Broadsides will be within 36". Many boards are 72" long, but with decent deployment at least some of your Lascannons should be in range or be in a position to get in range of those Broadsides.
I think I've been spoilt, honestly, as I do forget that most people don't have the luxury of playing on 72"x72" boards like I normally do

On such boards, they are invariably deployed in some corner or overwatch where they rain down death on just about anything and I can honestly tell you that getting near them with anything whatsoever is hard, infantry-based lascannon being the absolute least useful such weapon. It'll take you, on average, 2-3 turns to redeploy to be in a position to fry them...assuming (I'd say fairly) that you've got a clear firing lane to them. By then, they've either funnelled your tanks out of one area so something faster can kill them or they've blown your tanks away if they've come out in the open.

I can't honestly remember the last time I played on a 72"x48" board...much less a 48" board. It would've been a long, long time ago...and while battlecannon shells are awesome against almost anything in the Tau army, Broadsides laugh at them everytime. The best things I've seen used to kill them are drive-by Chimeras or deep-striking Storm Troopers (who are amazing against them in my experience).

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 19 Sep 2006, 18:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Thats a pretty huge table, it must suck to use assault armies on them.

Tournament sized tables are 72"x48" though.

Are 72"x72" the size at your GW's? I wish my local stores had that much space, best we get in the closest to me is 48"x48"
Old 19 Sep 2006, 21:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

Mine has two 48'' by 48'' tables that they put together for 4 way battles and such (one in each corner). I have yet to conivince anybody to play me the long way (with them put together, as in 48'' by 96''.). They are just too afraid of my railguns . But now that I also play guard, I could challenge my Tau friend to a 48'' by 96'' match... and take 3 indirect fire bassies... the extra range wouldn't help, but the ignoring terrain over a 96'' table would be awesome...

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Closed Thread