Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Can you make my Guard 'Work'
Closed Thread
Old 15 Sep 2006, 22:20   #1 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Default Can you make my Guard 'Work'

Greet.

I'm currently going through the process of picking an army, now Assault is my strongpoint but I am the #1 Commissar fan! They are just so cool, and what a way to express my love for them by creating an army for them! So I just need to figure out how to do it?

I know they use loads of Storm Troopers and Commissars, but what I'm asking is how can I put these to affect?

Thanks.

Old 15 Sep 2006, 22:30   #2 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Default Re: Can you make my Guard 'Work'

Well, I just bargained with my little 'Bro for a test/proxy battle, and he said no! He's an awkward little........

So I've changed the post to quell any future confusion

Old 15 Sep 2006, 22:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame

simple,give your guard all assault weapons,(catachans would be the most at this)make your HQs assaulty,you can give your HQ a commissar,give him a powerfist or powerweapon(Most would say fist,hidden one),take independent commissars,you can use him for a conscript platoon,his LD helps to keep your meat shield from running.

Storm troopers:hmmm...take grenaiders,allows two storm trooper squads as troop choices,then take stormtroopers so that would be 2 or 3 of your elites.
Some will say assault is not the guards strong point(and it isnt but can be done).Look through doctrine choices,could find a few that go hand and hand with assault.

Hellhounds,sentenils,plasma,meltas,flamers would be your assault role,dont forget some heavy stuff,gunna need that.
I would go with catachans,they are more the ambush and assault type.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 23:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Greet.

I'm currently going through the process of picking an army, now Assault is my strongpoint but I am the #1 Commissar fan! They are just so cool, and what a way to express my love for them by creating an army for them! So I just need to figure out how to do it?

I know they use loads of Storm Troopers and Commissars, but what I'm asking is how can I put these to affect?

Thanks.
Assaulty Guard. How peculiar.
Well, thae main elemnt in a assualt based guard list is Ogryns. Lots of wounds, high strenght and toughness and meaner than most in melee. And they pick necrons apart as a five-year old with legos.
Also, focusing on too much low ap weapons against necrons is mostly forfeit, as I have yet to see a Necron Lord without a ressurection orb. Go with some plasma, but don't focus on it.
Go with some grenadelaunchers.

Also, I have to agree with the Grenadier doctrine if you focus on Stormtroopers.
The Elite slots should be saved for the Ogryns and Hardened Veterans.
With the veterans, I'd go with one team with triple plasma (I always do), and one all out assault with a power weapon armed sargeant. Infiltrate them on the flanks and wreak havoc.
For heavyweapons, I'd recommend the Autocannon. Strenght, range and shots, all in one package. Lots of DAKKA!
And well...you play guard, so I have to assume you have a Leman Russ Battletank.
Keep it in the back, and throw some pie-plates on them. It should hurt them badly.
In battles over 1000p, add another Russ, or a Bassie. All after your preferance.

I also agree with using Commisars, but not independant ones. (They use up that important Elites slot) One in your main command squad should do it.
Keep the squad centered in your orce, handing out that nice leadership bonus.
And since Necrons has such a low Ld, do not take the power fists, stay with power weapons. Strike first is always good.

Continuing, depending on the size of your battle, you need a good strategy.
In 1000 points or so, keep your focus on his warriors. Wipe them first and phase him out. If he has destroyers, ignore them to an extent. Keep your focus on phasing him.
In battles over 1000p, divide your focus on his heavies and troops about 50/50.

I hope this helps you out. I'd like to know how the battle goes.

And as a pro-script. If there is the off-chance that he drops off the cheese-bucket called a monolith, ignore it. It is expensive as hell and lowers the amount of points spent on warriors. In other words, easier to phase.

Post a list of your preferance, and I may give you my opinion.
Good luck.
Old 16 Sep 2006, 11:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Take a look at the Tactica... one of the last items is about Assaulty guard
Old 17 Sep 2006, 20:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

ive never been able to make guard work for me, and my win lose record leans quite considerably towards the 'lose'section, but that's more becuase of my insane tactics than a flawed army list. a typical battle usually goes like this:
Me: "Bayonets!"
Opponent: "Dude, its turn one"
Me: "COWARD! Get out of my house/club/shop!"

or

Opponent: "you just had to take the full 6 platoons again, didn't you? you just couldn't take leman russes and stormtroopers like every one else!"

or

Me: "hmmm, i seem to have left all my heavy and special weapons at home. cyber-enhancements for everyone!"

ill give you the same advice i give everyone else. imperial guard dont lose, because they are meant to die. if you lose 5 squads a turn, your not losing, your doing your duty. Just relax and enjoy the battle, and thank god you're not a guardsman.

Old 17 Sep 2006, 20:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I particularly like the thought of 2 Platoons of conscripts on the table, with and Independant Commisar there for morale. Nothing quite like seeing your opponents reaction when you have more wounds than he can possibly inflict...
Closed Thread