Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting IG..Now to decide the theme...
Closed Thread
Old 08 Sep 2006, 02:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke
Default Starting IG..Now to decide the theme...

Well, title says it all. I'm staring Imperial Guard, and I need to decide the theme. I have narrowed it down to two options: A Modern-style force painted up to look like US soldiers with desert camo (maybe carapace upgrades and sharpshooters? I'm definitely putting sharpshooters on SOME things, as that reroll ones is a nice treat IMO.), or a Harkoni Warharks army. I'm thinking the Modern one, because I could always call 'em paratroopers....opinions?

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Old 08 Sep 2006, 03:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame
Default Re: Starting IG..Now to decide the theme...

becareful with carapace.This takes up to much room which you need for troops,can sometimes be worth it,if you want carapace just take some stormtroopers and I think the grenaiders doctrine,and since you seem to be dropping in it wouldn't matter much in cc,use cover.Sharpshooters is quit simple,just give them to heavy weapon support squads.Only time it comes in handy.

Also to replace carapace,you wanted a modern look take the camoeline doctrine,lowers there save a bit.Only downside is you have to model cloaks on every guy you got with greenstuff.Makes them blend in,camo and such.
And to fullfill you paratroopers role,take drop troops...
Old 08 Sep 2006, 07:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Carapace is very rarly worth it. Take Grenadeirs instead if you want 4+ saves.

Sharpshooters- a squad with this percentage wise will not make back as much of their points statistically as a squad without it.

Drop troops is a very good doctrine if used properly.

And Camelion dosn't have to be capes... there are fluff articles with Camoelion flak in them.
Old 08 Sep 2006, 12:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Modern is difficult only because real modern weaponry is so much more advanced. Drone ground attack aircraft, arial mine dispersal, GSR, at4, detcord, etc etc. Even M16 or ak47 are better weapons than the angry flashlight, and don't forget SAW (m249), M203, and M240B. A platoon of modern US infantry has more firepower than that of the IG, and they come standard with cameoline uniforms and carapace armor.

I have a WW2 themed/modern IG army. I take grenadier doctrine for my troop units (3), 2 chimeras, 3 LR, 1 sentinal, and a large HQ (HSO + bodyguard/medic, 2 AT squads w/lascannon and missile launcher, 1 mortar squad). all HQ are non-grenadier, so they get carapace and sharpshooter. My elites are hardened veterans with diehard, sharpshooter, and carapace.

Overall, if you are basing it on theme, then don't worry about game mechanics as much. Have fun.

Wanax
Old 08 Sep 2006, 16:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Go with the US theme but pack in the conscripts...

Anyhow the army its modeled on is only a guide for paint schemes etc. you should make some fluff for your own army. For example my guard are a conscript legion with a lot of sentinels and vets who have survived this long. They don't use tanks or transports because they are poorly trained and equipt, only having a few precious autocannons and mortar to go round...

You end up really choosing between an armoured fist style army or a foot slugger army...
Old 08 Sep 2006, 21:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by J?
Carapace is very rarly worth it. Take Grenadeirs instead if you want 4+ saves.

Sharpshooters- a squad with this percentage wise will not make back as much of their points statistically as a squad without it.

Drop troops is a very good doctrine if used properly.

And Camelion dosn't have to be capes... there are fluff articles with Camoelion flak in them.
Hmm didn't catch the camoelion bit then,what pg,book,magazine,article was it in by chance?Would love to read it.Thanks
Old 08 Sep 2006, 22:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

It's in the back of the IG codex. Page 57 states: "Some units are able to use the rare cameleoline material in their uniforms or as cloaks".

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Closed Thread