Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Started drop troops; have questions
Closed Thread
Old 05 Sep 2006, 20:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun
Default Started drop troops; have questions

I have recently started an imperial guard drop troops army, and am in the process of converting and painting it. I played two games with the unpainted models and had my entire army deepstrike. Even though one of my platoons of troops never came in on turn two in either game, the plethora of flamers, meltas, and heavy flamers, all backed up by plasma and lasgun fire, almost completely destroyed my enemies in one turn.

So now I'm considering having some parts of my army start out on the table for three reasons;

My opponent won't be able to set up as ideally as he'd like to counter the deep strikers, as he'll be under fire.
Less risk of complete dice disaster.
Less cheese?

I was thinking two leman russ with extra armor and improved comms, and perhaps a mortar squad attached to my hq platoon. Even if my opponent is fast enough to close with the leman russ first turn, he'll still be unable to reach the rear armor.... usually.

Thoughts? Should I just stick to only deepstriking, and if not, what should I start with on the table?
Old 07 Sep 2006, 07:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Started drop troops; have questions

I was thinking of doing the same thing. I am also in the process of completing my DT IG army as well, I am using a mix of Cadians and Elysians.

I was going for a support unit of Heavy bolters and possible a motar unit as well. But I started some other projects, so I have fallen behind on my IG Elysian army.

Depends on what point level you are playing but a Russ would really be good but it will take a pounding since it will be the only target until the rest of your army drops in.

I have played against other DT armies and a softer approach works out well. So softer troops would be good, because a Railgun can only kill one guard but a single railgun shots might melt that Russ.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 07 Sep 2006, 16:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Usually it's going to be about 1500 points. So I should take a heavy weapons platoon to start on the table? Maybe one heavy bolter, one autocannon, and either mortars or lascannons?
Old 08 Sep 2006, 01:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Dakari
I was thinking of proxying a Drop Troop army this weekend. Same ideas, but would an allied unit of Marines with a Teleport homer work for the deep striking Guard?
They aren't Deep-Striking by teleportation, so I don't think so.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 08 Sep 2006, 02:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Dakari
I was thinking of proxying a Drop Troop army this weekend. Same ideas, but would an allied unit of Marines with a Teleport homer work for the deep striking Guard?
No; it specifically states that the Teleport Homer only works for teleporting Terminators; nothing else, not Drop Pods, Assassins, Assault Marines, or Land Speeders... and certainly not burrowing/grav-chuting Guard!
Old 08 Sep 2006, 03:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaldun
Usually it's going to be about 1500 points. So I should take a heavy weapons platoon to start on the table? Maybe one heavy bolter, one autocannon, and either mortars or lascannons?
DeDefinitelyake the heavy bolter and auto cannon. The third could be a mortar squad, because at that points level you probably already have a Special Weapons squad with a DC and Meltaguns for any armor that might be around.

( the HB, AC, and Mortar squad really hurt and it does not matter if I am playing my Tau or Marines, these unit really do some damage - in fact, this set up really does a number on any T3 armies )

Do you have that 1500 point army list handy, I sure would like to take a look at it.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Closed Thread