Autocannons 29 72.50%
Missile Launchers 10 25.00%
None of the above 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 01 Sep 2006, 20:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Missile Launchers Vs. Autocannons

I can't seem to decide which heavy weapon to take in my guard squads.

Between the two, which would you most likely take in a small 500 point game?

Snowbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal Black Mage
The sacrament of Dakka can be expressed only by those who have experienced it. It is a holy sacrament (of fire) that states "We are firing our guns at you. Die."
Old 01 Sep 2006, 20:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton
Default Re: Missile Launchers Vs. Autocannons

I'd recommend Autocannons big time.
In 500 points, you will face nada vehicles with AV13 or more.
Most likely none.
The cannons has more shots, but higher AP, the Launchers has a single shot, and a bit lower AP. Go quantity rather than quality in such low point battles.
I'd even recommend Autocannons against marines.
Old 01 Sep 2006, 21:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Autocannons. Definatley. In fact, I am/was in the exact same position. So far, I have only played against my cousin. We both play(ed) IG. Here were out lists:

Me:
1 squad 10 cadians, one grenade launcher, frag grenades, cameoline, sharpshooters
1 squad 10 cadians, one flamer, frag grenades

1 HQ squad:
1 Junior officer
1 Melta
1 Medic
1 Vox
2 Gaurdsmen
Frags

One autocannon

2 snipers

Him:

3 Squads Cadians, 2 grenade launchers, 1 flamer, frags, cameoline
1 Chimera, multi-laser, Hull mounted heavy bolter.

NOTE: I am recalling these from memory. We really didn't know how to play, so we both figured it to be about 400 points...

Anyways, Even though my autocannon did next to nothing in all the games we played (not good enough against the chimera armor, not enough shots against infantry), it was a good fire magnet and longer range than anything else.

Actually my snipers killed the chimera the most. They stunk against infantry

Autocannons are good though, and very balanced. In larger games I'd take some missile launchers, but in a 500 point game definatley autcannons.
Old 01 Sep 2006, 22:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

Indeed. In larger scale armies it would be wise to put in a squad or two with
missile launchers. And a lascannon or three would not hurt either.
But in everything beneath 1000p ,I would recommend the almight Autocannon.
If you need some more assistance with your list, I'll be around to help
Old 02 Sep 2006, 01:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Never ever ever call it a Missile launcher. There is a key word in there that will make it the most useless weapon ever! i.e.Miss....

But anyway. In all honesty i choose the rocket launcher. Good for busting marines, nids, tanks anything. It is the most versitile weapon the imperium have at a troop level. An auto cannon cannot take out AV 14 and has no chance of taking out more than 2 infantry. The rocket luncher even though only shot has the blast template at it's disposal, failing that a krak round will kill a MEQ easily. The auto cannon still allows that 3+ save of theirs to be made, The auto cannon will always be AP 4, no matter what you want it for, whereas the rocket launcher can be AP 3 or 4.

What I say is if in the end you can't decide take one of each. even two of each if you have the points to spend.

Old 02 Sep 2006, 01:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by J?
Never ever ever call it a Missile launcher. There is a key word in there that will make it the most useless weapon ever! i.e.Miss....

But anyway. In all honesty i choose the rocket launcher. Good for busting marines, nids, tanks anything. It is the most versitile weapon the imperium have at a troop level. An auto cannon cannot take out AV 14 and has no chance of taking out more than 2 infantry. The rocket luncher even though only shot has the blast template at it's disposal, failing that a krak round will kill a MEQ easily. The auto cannon still allows that 3+ save of theirs to be made, The auto cannon will always be AP 4, no matter what you want it for, whereas the rocket launcher can be AP 3 or 4.

What I say is if in the end you can't decide take one of each. even two of each if you have the points to spend.

Yes but we are talking 500 points here. You don't see many tanks in 500 points, indeed, I spent almost 250 just on my FOC reqs.

I need to find my IG codex.

All the best.
Old 02 Sep 2006, 01:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

I've seen a Land Raider in 500 points... that and a whirlwind. Min maxed troops and a basic HQ force commander.

It was utterly the most powergamed 500 points i've seen.
Old 02 Sep 2006, 05:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

Yeah I tend to just stomp those kids out and take their models. I mean..... :-X

But as for Auto v Missiles? Hey, if you fight anyone using skimmers (Tau, DE, Eldar, Space Marine Land Speeders, etc) you're only going to be getting glancing anyway, and with a high strength and plenty of shots, the Autocannon is totally the way to go. Believe me, if you try and pop a Devilfish or a Wave Serpent with a missile launcher? You'll not only miss, but the weapon can't do the damage needed in the first place. Not to mention if they are smart and use wargear on their tanks to make them more resilient.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
Old 02 Sep 2006, 05:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShaperx

But as for Auto v Missiles? Hey, if you fight anyone using skimmers (Tau, DE, Eldar, Space Marine Land Speeders, etc) you're only going to be getting glancing anyway, and with a high strength and plenty of shots, the Autocannon is totally the way to go. Believe me, if you try and pop a Devilfish or a Wave Serpent with a missile launcher? You'll not only miss, but the weapon can't do the damage needed in the first place. Not to mention if they are smart and use wargear on their tanks to make them more resilient.
So your telling me a weapon with lower strength can hurt somthing that a weapon with higher strength cannot?

Sure if you fight skimmers an auto cannon is good for the job, another shot at one less strength, if you miss with one you still get another to try with. But what about those AV 13 skimmers... those times when you won't fight skimmers, those times when you start calling it a 'missile launcher' and most of all those times when you want to create an all comers list.

In my honest oppinion the auto cannon is good when you know what your going to fight. But the rocket launcher is in every respect the most vesitile and well rounded weapon the imperial guard have that your basic trooper can carry around.

If you max out at strength 7 in an army you've got NO chance of fighting off some of the tougher units and more armoured vechiles even in 500 points. Trust me, i have played enough 500 pointers (considering it the usual size i play) to know what weapons to use. And when you play Catachans it becomes even more important to tote rocket launchers as that is your tank hunting capability... no las-cannons there.

Old 02 Sep 2006, 06:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

I'm with JD, Missile launchers rock, you get them in bulk...

I have 6 in my 750pts Guard Army...

(23 in my 5000pts army)

on average 3 will hit... that's some marines dead, or a vehicle with av 13+ glanced...
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Closed Thread