Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What is a good ig army to play and Cadian Shock Troops.
Closed Thread
Old 20 Aug 2006, 23:20   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default What is a good ig army to play and Cadian Shock Troops.

Ive been thinking of starting IG and Ive been tyring to think of what force to play. My brother recently bought eye of terror and I'm wondering if the cadian shock troops army is still valid. Please feel free to give advice on what army I should play and also if someone could answer this question for me that would be great.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 01:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: What is a good ig army to play and Cadian Shock Troops.

get a new edition guard codex. cadians are considered the 'standard' guard uniform so can be made into any kind of regimental variant from any planet you can imagine up if you dont want to use the specific cadian doctrines. you really cant use an army without the codex, and the codex will give you all the answers you need.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 07:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame

Yes get the codex.read it over,red the units,make a list.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 03:37   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

So can you use the Eye Of Terror Codex or not?
Old 22 Aug 2006, 04:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame

As long as your oppenet agrees on it,I see no problem.But for a regular tournement or game you use the regular IG codex
Old 22 Aug 2006, 05:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I say stick with the new Codex. I personally prefer the old Codex, but supplements are just foolish to mess around with. Supplements, like CityFight, EoT, and Armag all present rules and units for a specific and often fun game... but they don't have much diversity. They are designed to give you rules for, say, 2 Chapters, 1 Regiment, and a Speed Freak Mob. That one regiment is Mechanized. If halfway through your army-building process you don't want mechanized, you'll have to shell out a few bucks for the Codex, and youll have a few extra Chimeras and a Bane-blade size hole in your wallet.

By buying the Codex, you can first review all types of Guard, pick out a color scheme, a Regiment, build some fluff and a style of play, etc. You'll have a better understanding of the army in general, and the choice you make in the end will be a good one.

Me, personally, I like the ideas for Cadian armys presented in Codex: Imperial Guard. The Cadian orbital Defence, The Cadian 8th Winter and Forest fatigues, thier Jungle Fatigues, and all other unique and seldom played armys.

Valhallans, Mordian, Tallarns, or Praetorians would be great, but they're metal... they cost a lot, and they may be discontinued VERY soon. I suggest either Steel Legion, Catachan, or Cadian.

Cadian is nice simply because it can be used to represent almost any type of army. You would never find greatcoats ina desert, or bare-chested warriors in an ice-hive, but in both situations you can find a 'vanilla' soldier forging his way forward in his battle fatigues.

Vostroyans is one army I would shy away from. Sure, they look cool, but as far as battlefield practicality goes, they are not the best army to play.

I say buy the Codex... make your own descion... its fun brainstorming ideas, and you definately come up with a better army with the 'dexes help.

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 25 Dec 2006, 08:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

i am curious about the vostroyans... do they have their own list. el generalissimo stankov mentioned something about them 'not being the best army to play'. i do not see them in the back of my handy guard book. what are the doctrines and weapons associated with them (i guess if it aint published it cant really be against the rules to post it) anybody give me a rundown on vostroyan basics?

as for cadians... in your book theres a great page full of color schemes and one of them is all ice-blue and white and obviously a winter warrior... another is in some kind of lava-planet fatigues. they are just easier figures to theme cuz, like he said, there's no greatcoats and furry hats fighting out there in a desert and no rambo guys freezing their heinies off because they didnt pack clothes. the high lords of terra are (slightly) better organized than that. we would hope.
use cadians for figs cuz they are flexible and cheap IMO, if that is what you are looking for.

[edited] JD
Old 25 Dec 2006, 10:54   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Stella Cadente

Yeah, stop shooting "Jihad" all over the place, us Army guys get pretty niffed at that kinda stuff, since we have had a few of us die when they shout it out then suddenly explode, so shut it.

and vostroyans can use any rules you want from the Guard codex, its all upto you, pick you own doctrines and special troops, its way more fun.
Old 25 Dec 2006, 11:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente
Yeah, stop shooting "Jihad" all over the place, us Army guys get pretty niffed at that kinda stuff, since we have had a few of us die when they shout it out then suddenly explode, so shut it.
I see no problems... it was meant as a funny statement, freedom of speech yada yada, take it on the light side...
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Old 25 Dec 2006, 19:41   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Stella Cadente

Lets see if anyone finds it funny when your best friends are being blown apart by RPG fire, then laugh and say it was meant to be funny, I`m sorry but it ain`t funny