Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Considering Starting Vostroyans
Closed Thread
Old 18 Aug 2006, 17:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Considering Starting Vostroyans

Hi, i am going to be getting a job pretty soon and i am thinking of things to do with my new income.

I have seen the Vostroyans (or sci-fi russians as i call them) and i must say i love them. I am a big fan of CoD2 so i noticed that they modellers made a lot of the weapons look the WW2 weapons (Lasgun/Mosin Nagant, Heavy Bolter/PPSH, etc.).

So I am considering starting Vostroyans. I have never played IG before, or even battled them so I am in the dark on their play style. I play Tau and 'Nids if that can help.

What are the advantages/disadvantages to a full metal army?

Me and my friend are starting City Fight so if you have tips for using them in close quarters against CC focused armies that would eb great.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 18:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton
Default Re: Considering Starting Vostroyans

"And thus, ye spell doom upon thine economical situation."
Well, Vostroyans would be fun to meet in the field, and gives a fine
edition to any players collection. Go for it.
But keep in mind that they are expensive, both in points and cash.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 18:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

luckily for me, in the next three years my cash deosn;t need to support me. i just have to worry about choosing between that sweet sword, or a army of russians.

how expensive is a vostroyan compared to a marine? is that better or worse than a normal guardsmen?
Old 18 Aug 2006, 19:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

a vostroyan squad is I think 80 pts+ upgrades. And cahs wise its 40 US dollars or 20 british pounds for ten. so only not to much more expensive than marines but you need more of them, a lot more of them. models look cool though.

I guess it depends on how much money you'll be making

"Life liberty and the pursuit of cheese"- Me

All the tau have to worrie about is going off course, not having their souls eaten and their bodies being worn as a tuxedo to a slaughter-party

"And we shall know fear!"-honored battle cry of the SMs also known as Sissy Marines. The chapter was later declared Worthless Extrimis after crying when shot at by Orks in the chapters first engagment. In the AER (After Execution Review) Inquistor Exter said "It was just breaking my heart to see those grown marines cry."

Tau Wins: 2 Draws:0 Losses: 0
SMs Wins: 64 Draw
Old 19 Aug 2006, 04:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

whats the min/max of an IG squad? i am guessing 10-20?
Old 19 Aug 2006, 14:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

Well, to make your army legal with two troop choices, you need 40 vostroyans plus command squads. Unless you go with the armored fists. Then you would need only 30 vostroyans, one chimera and a command squad.
(Told you it was expensive )
Old 19 Aug 2006, 15:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcaor
whats the min/max of an IG squad? i am guessing 10-20?
5-10
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
Old 19 Aug 2006, 15:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

For a legal army with the minimum amout of models you would need 30 normal guardsmen one chimera and 2 command squads. that would cost about 210 US dollars, (not sure in pounds, depends on how much a chimera costs) this isn't including armor, and heavy weapons and special wepaons and veterans and so...on...and...so...on.

"Life liberty and the pursuit of cheese"- Me

All the tau have to worrie about is going off course, not having their souls eaten and their bodies being worn as a tuxedo to a slaughter-party

"And we shall know fear!"-honored battle cry of the SMs also known as Sissy Marines. The chapter was later declared Worthless Extrimis after crying when shot at by Orks in the chapters first engagment. In the AER (After Execution Review) Inquistor Exter said "It was just breaking my heart to see those grown marines cry."

Tau Wins: 2 Draws:0 Losses: 0
SMs Wins: 64 Draw
Old 20 Aug 2006, 22:11   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Troop choices are a little different with Imperial Guard. You do not simply have a single unit which counts as a troop choice, such as you would with Marines for example. In the Imperial Guard, a single troop choice is actually multiple squads. A single troop choice is called a "Platoon".
A Platoon consists of a command element and troop squads. This command squad is made up of an officer and four men. This is a separate squad, and is free to move on it's own.
At minimum a platoon needs two separate squads of guardsman. There can be a total of five squads in a single platoon, but at least two are needed. A single squad is ten guys, no less, no more.
So for a single troops choice, you need at least 25 models. One officer, two sergeants, and 23 guardsman. That makes a single troops choice. For each platoon, one is allowed to take an armored fist squad which would fill another troop choice slot. It consists of a Chimera and a squad of ten men.
Your HQ choice is a command squad of four guys and an officer.

Vostroyans are no different stats wise from a regular imperial guard model. They use the exact same stats. They just cost more money and look different. Compared to Space Marines, Vostroyans are super cheap points wise, clocking in a a mere eight points per model. Space Marines are in the high teens. Good luck!
Old 20 Aug 2006, 22:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

With Hardened Veterans, Carapace Armour, Sharpshooters alone...a Vostroyan Guardsman costs 10.5pts/pop.

That's pretty damn expensive for a Guardsman.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Closed Thread