Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting IGDT!!
Closed Thread
Old 16 Aug 2006, 11:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aquila_XV8
Default Starting IGDT!!

Hey guys,
I have just finished my 2000pts Tau and I was browsing around the boards on TO looking for a new army to start, which was when I ventured to the IG boards. Imperial Guard appeal to me because they are just ordinary men fighting against all kinds of daemonic horrors and exotic aliens, and it was this that attracted me to start collecting them.
Then I discovered the diverse armies that you could Field with all the different doctrines you can take.
I just love the idea of guardsmen jumping (willingly!!) out of transport ships/planes at an altitude, then speeding towards a combat zone and arriving on the battlefield from the sky, guns blazing. So I am going to be starting an IGDT army and was wondering if anyone could help me out by pointing me in the right direction (links would be helpful) and helping me out in list selections as I don't really know where to start ;D

Thanks in advance, chev?øn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Welcome to the Navy, Chevron.

Longest Ever Maiden Chain: 55
Old 16 Aug 2006, 11:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Starting IGDT!!

i'll give you my tactica:

Death From Above:
Drop Troop Imperial Guard Tactica

1: Contents
• Introduction
• Army Composition
• Basic Tactics
• Sample Lists

INTRODUCTION:

So, first up is an introduction to Drop Troop Guard. The questions you will ask are:

• Who/what are drop troop guard?
• Why should I play them?
• How do I use them?

To answer the first: Drop Troop Guard are, in a nutshell, the Imperial Guard Airborne. They’re the guys who drop in on grav-chutes into the middle of a battlefield to wreak havoc. They’re often the first to go in,
"it mean more bugs for us to kill"
and more often than not, its just them standing shoulder to shoulder with a whole bloody army swarming around them.
“We’re the Airborne. We’re meant to be surrounded”

For the second, instead of answering, I’ll give two examples of why you should play them. The first is the 101st Airborne, the stars of Band of Brothers, possibly one of the best series ever made. The second are the Mobile Infantry of Starship Troopers movie fame. Nothing cooler than those guys hitting planetside! Your guys are landing, imagine the ST theme tune in your head.

That’s the character of them. Other reasons are very, very simple. Drop Troop Guard are amongst the most evil, dreaded and viciously powerful armies in the game. There is almost nothing that you should be afraid of! It’s quite easy and common to pull off one turn massacres and in many cases the set up time is longer than the actual game!

To answer the third question, read on…

Army Composition:
As DTIG are a doctrine army, it makes sense to run through the various doctrines that will make a DT force very effective.

The first (and obligatory!) doctrine is the obvious “Drop Troops” doctrine. This lists the units that can deep strike (namely IG infantry units and sentinels) so for a pure drop troops force, you must limit yourselves to these units and go without any form of heavy armour.

With regard to other doctrines that will make an effective army, read on:

Firstly, the units that will help a DTG force.

Veterans
. You can always take one squad of these guys, but to take more, it costs a doctrine. It’s worth it though. They’re dirt cheap, have a high BS and can be kitted out with 3 special weapons and a plasma pistol for under 100 pts. They’re not as resilient as Stormtroopers though with only a 5+ save, but what they shoot at should, by rights, melt.

Storm Trooper squads: a very useful unit for DT armies. They’re the “other” choice to hardened veterans. They’re cheap, coming in at less than 100pts for an effective squad. They can take 2 special weapons, along with a veteran sarge’s plasma pistol. And they’re fairly tough with their nifty carapace armour.

Special Weapons squads: Again, a rock solid option. 6 guys. An obligatory demo charge. And 2 other special weapons. If your scatter goes well, expect whatever these guys shoot at to be obliterated.

Heavy Weapons Platoons: An interesting choice. Not the most obvious choice. Several advantages though. They don’t have to drop in, meaning they can start the game pumping out 30 h.bolter shots with a pimped out platoon. Goes against the flavour though (I mean, if you want to start on the board first thing, take tanks!) but they are fluffier to a DT force than tanks. There is another benefit. One of the few good defences to DT guard is to box your troops into an itty bitty box in the corner. Give your HWPs a few mortars. 10 shots a turn. Guaranteed to do some hurting!

Now, for nifty little upgrades!

Iron Discipline: you spent 5pts on a command squad, and they’re platoons basically get “and they shall know no fear”. Awesome. Easily, an obligatory doctrine.

Close Order Drill: Only works with standard infantry platoons (and conscripts which you can’t take!) but gives them a boost to leadership, and initiative. You just have to be in base contact with your squaddies. And guess what. You deep strike, your guy’s MUST be in base to base. And it’s free. Easily another obligatory doctrine point.

Sharpshooters: A handy upgrade. Re-roll those pesky 1s for those all important melta shots. Not really useful aside from that as flamers don’t roll to hit, and plasmas don’t apply!

Carapace Armour: it’s an expensive doctrine, but it can prove handy. Your guy’s get a neat 4+ save. And it’s fluffy to give DT guard some heavy protection, as they’re heading in alone. As well, should you want to represent something close to a DT stormtrooper company (the one thing lacking in the IG list) take this.

So, those are the doctrines you should choose from for your force.

Army Composition

Command squads:
This is a core unit for DT guard. For several reasons.
• The first is you can take a Heroic Officer with a plasma pistol. His ld9, combined with his “leadership” rule gives quite a boost to a DT force. Take an honourifica imperialis for a junior officer, and you’ve got 2 of these guys.
• One of the troopers should be a medic (“Damn. My trooper cooks himself with the plasma. But I have a medic. It’s ignored!”)with a plasma pistol. A medic, by rights is mandatory in each command squad, even though you lose out on a spec weapon, which is why you give him a plasma pistol to compensate.
• The third is the standard bearer (Klkn. I failed a morale check. Hmm. Within 12” of a banner. Wave-y, Wave-y. re-roll leadership!)with a plasma pistol for the same reason as a medic. Standard bearer is only in the HQ command squad though…
• Then for another bit of goodness, the other 2 guys in the squad can get special weapons. So, in each command squad (command HQ and platoon command) you’re looking at 3 special weapons, and a few plasma pistols. 3 flamer templates. 3 melta shots. 6 plasma shots. Plus plasma pistol shots. This is quite simply awesome. It’s sick how destructive this squad can be!
• A further boon to your command HQ is he gets to take those special weapons squads, who I’ve mentioned before. As it’s the only place in the list where you get them, you should take them!
• And another is a fourth sentinel slot. Trust me, you want sentinels!

Special Weapons Squads:
• Dirt cheap.
• 3 special Weapons
• Demo charges.
For 35pts plus weapons, you get a special weapons squad with 3 special weapons, one of which SHOULD be that demo charge. With a half decent scatter for the demo charge, and 2 flamer templates (leave the meltas, and plasmas to those with better BS and medics) what these guys shoot at will be obliterated. Worth their weight in gold.

Platoon Squads
It makes sense to cover your platoon squads. These guys are effectively “mop up” in nature, as the bulk of a DT force’s awesome firepower is in its elite and command squads. However, platoons give you bodies, lots of lasgun shots and an odd few special weapon shots. Worth using, if you ask me. A fourth use for these guys is to drop them in on objectives while the main units do the damage.

Now, for the elites, stormtroopers and veterans. By rights, you should take 3 elite choices. I’ll cover stormtroopers first.

Stormtroopers.
• BS4.
• 2 spec weapons.
• And a veteran plasma pistol.
• Cheap.
• Carapace armour.
Quite awesome firepower. You have to pay to deep strike though. But, like veterans, you only need a squad of 5 because it’s the special weapons that do the damage. You’re looking at incredible destruction for less than 100pts.

Veterans.
• BS4.
• 3 special weapons.
• Plasma pistol
• Dirt cheap. 45pts for 5 guys!
You’re looking at more destructive firepower than Stormtroopers, but this is balanced by worse armour (unless you take carapace as a doctrine)

Both are equally awesome choices. It’s up to you who to take.

Sentinels:
• Responsible for the proper co ordination of DT guard forces with improved comms
• Quite cheap.
• Quite good firepower with h. flamers
At least 4 of these guys are obligatory. Fill all 4 slots (3 fast attack, and one with your HQ) with sentinels. Keep them cheap, and give them heavy flamers, and most importantly, improved comms. Its expensive, but worth it. It allows you to re-roll your reserves, even if the Sentinels are off the field. And it’s responsible for making sure close to your entire army hits the field at once, or else none of it, should you roll bad. And what’s more, heavy flamers are awesome. They can kill whole squads of densely packed infantry and even kill marines fairly well.

How to use Drop Troops:
The use of Drop Troops is very straight forward. It’s also fairly easy, and quick to grasp. Roll for your reserves, with any re-rolls allowable from improved comms. Remember too, you roll for platoons, not for individual squads. Then deep strike the right units in the right places eg send those meltatroopers to take out the leman russ, and send those plasmatroopers to take out the carnifex whilst the flamertroopers cook that genestealer squad. It’s fairly simple, but requires a small bit of luck for your troops to not go splat. Just make sure you shoot the right targets with the right guns! In many ways, what makes it easier is the other guy will have deployed, and will have had a turn of movement. You should know exactly what to put and where to put them. Then unleash hell!

When designing a drop troop guard army list, remember a few things:
(1) Its strengths lie in its special weapons. As such, your troopers should leave anything with a “heavy” profile back at boot camp. The only exceptions are your Sentinels’ heavy flamers. Rely on your meltaguns, plasma guns, and flamers to do the most damage.
(2) Your main units are your command squads, and elite squads. Platoons are just mop up.
(3) Sentinels are very, very important for their improved comms. Always take 4+ of them.

Sample Army lists:
The IG codex mentions the Harakoni Warhawks, a regiment I am collecting myself so it’s only fitting to give some army list ideas based on these guys, of which the 1500pointer Harakoni is my own list as well as a few lists courtesy of Jal’knock (quite possibly the sickest lists imaginable!)

Harakoni Warhawks 1000pts recon force:
Doctrines:
• Carapace Armour
• Special Weapons Squads
• Heavy Weapons squads
• Stormtroopers
• Drop Troops

HQ: Command squad.
Junior officer w/ Plasma pistol.
Medic w/ plasma pistol
3 plasma guns
Carapace armour
Attached: Sentinel w/ h.flamer + i.comms

Elite:
5 Stormtroopers
Veteran w/plasma pistol
2 meltaguns
Deep strike

5 Stormtroopers
Veteran w/Plasma pistol
2 meltas
Deep Strike

Troops 1:
Command Squad
Junior officer w/ Plasma pistol.
Medic w/ plasma pistol
3 plasma guns
Carapace armour

Squad 1: carapace armour, melta 90
Squad 2: carapace armour, flamer 86

Troops 2:
Command Squad
Junior officer w/. Plasma pistol.
Medic w/ plasma pistol
3 Flamers
Carapace armour

Squad 1: carapace armour, flamer 86

Fast Attack 1:
Sentinel w/ h.flamer + i.comms 60

1001pts in total.

6 flamers
2 heavy flamers
8 plasma pistols
6 plasma guns
5 meltaguns
36 lasguns
4 hellguns

Harakoni Warhawks 1500pts:
Doctrines:
• Carapace Armour
• Special Weapons Squads
• Heavy Weapons squads
• Stormtroopers
• Drop Troops

HQ: Command squad.
Heroic Senior Officer w/ Plasma pistol.
Standard bearer w/plasma pistol
Medic w/ plasma pistol
3 plasma guns
Carapace armour
Attached: 2 Sentinels w/2 h.flamers + 1 i.comms 100
Attached: Special Weapons squad. 2 flamers, demo charge, carapace armour 83
Attached: Special Weapons squad. 2 flamers, demo charge, carapace armour 83

Elite:
5 Stormtroopers
Veteran w/plasma pistol
2 meltaguns
Deep strike

5 Stormtroopers
Veteran w/Plasma pistol
2 meltas
Deep Strike

5 Veterans
Plasma pistol
3 plasmas
Carapace armour

Troops 1:
Command Squad
Junior officer w/ Plasma pistol and honourifica imperialis
Medic w/ plasma pistol
3 plasma guns
Carapace armour

Squad 1: carapace armour, melta 90
Squad 2: carapace armour, melta 90

Troops 2:
Command Squad
Junior officer w/. Plasma pistol.
Medic w/plasma pistol
3 Flamers
Carapace armour

Squad 1: carapace armour, flamer 86

Fast Attack 1:

1503 pts.
12 plasma pistols
9 plasma guns
9 meltaguns
9 flamers
37 lasguns
4 hellguns
5 heavy flamers
2 demo charges

Alternative lists:
Cadian 531st 1000pts
Doctrines:
• Drop Troops
• Close order Drill
• Veterans
• Iron discipline

Command HQ:
Junior officer w/plasma pistol
Medic w/ plasma pistol
Standard Bearer w/ plasma pistol
2 plasma gunners
Iron discipline
Attached: Sentinel w/ h.flamer + i.comms 60

5 Veterans.
Plasma pistol
3 plasma guns

5 Veterans.
Plasma pistol
3 meltaguns

5 Veterans.
Plasma pistol
3 meltaguns

Troops 1:
Command squad:
Junior Officer w/plasma pistol
4 melta gunners
Iron discipline

Squad 1: melta 70
Squad 2: melta 70

Troops 2:
Command squad:
4 flamers
Iron discipline

Squad 1: flamer 66
Squad 2: flamer 66

999pts

5 plasma pistols
5 plasma guns
12 meltaguns
6 flamers
3 heavy flamers
39 lasguns

Cadian 531st 1500pts
Doctrines:
• Drop Troops
• Close order Drill
• Veterans
• Iron discipline
• Special weapons squads

Command HQ:
Heroic Senior officer w/plasma pistol
Medic w/ plasma pistol
Standard Bearer w/ plasma pistol
2 plasma gunners
Iron discipline
Attached: 2 Sentinels w/ 2 h.flamer + 1 i.comms 100
Attached: Special Weapons squad w/2 flamers + demo charge 63
Attached: Special Weapons squad w/2 flamers + demo charge 63

5 Veterans.
Plasma pistol
3 plasma guns

5 Veterans.
Plasma pistol
3 meltaguns

5 Veterans.
Plasma pistol
3 meltaguns

Troops 1:
Command squad:
Junior Officer w/plasma pistol
4 melta gunners
Iron discipline
close order drill

Squad 1: melta, close order drill 70
Squad 2: melta, close order drill 70

Troops 2:
Command squad:
4 flamers
Iron discipline
close order drill

Squad 1: flamer, close order drill 66
Squad 2: flamer, close order drill 66

Troops 3:
Command Squad:
Junior Officer w/ plasma pistol
Medic w/plasma pistol
3 plasma guns
Iron discipline
close order drill

Squad 1: plasmagun, close order drill 70
Squad 2: plasmagun, close order drill 70

11 plasma pistols
10 plasmaguns
12 meltaguns
10 flamers
5 h.flamers
2 demo charges
63 lasguns

1500pts on the dot.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 16 Aug 2006, 16:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

whoa, deadnight you deserve a karma cookie

"Life liberty and the pursuit of cheese"- Me

All the tau have to worrie about is going off course, not having their souls eaten and their bodies being worn as a tuxedo to a slaughter-party

"And we shall know fear!"-honored battle cry of the SMs also known as Sissy Marines. The chapter was later declared Worthless Extrimis after crying when shot at by Orks in the chapters first engagment. In the AER (After Execution Review) Inquistor Exter said "It was just breaking my heart to see those grown marines cry."

Tau Wins: 2 Draws:0 Losses: 0
SMs Wins: 64 Draw
Old 17 Aug 2006, 11:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

wow.... thanks for that Deadnight it was a great help. I think I'm going to base my army around those lists ;D

Quote:

Old 18 Aug 2006, 12:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev?øn05
wow.... thanks for that Deadnight it was a great help. I think I'm going to base my army around those lists ;D
*bows*

yeah, when i get around to it, im doing the warhawks, and converting every trooper to look like the guy at the back of the codex.

just beware. you'll win a lot, but its boring. you land, roll dice, and thats it. there's very little flair.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 18 Aug 2006, 12:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Aww... Deadnight, you beat me to it. I was going to link them to the tactica.

Ok lads, for all new IG players, always read the stickies, the IG board has an abundance of information.

Old 21 Aug 2006, 07:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well I've read the stickies and they've told me heaps, definitely enough to get me started. Thanx guys, really appreciated

Quote:

Old 21 Aug 2006, 12:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev?øn05
Well I've read the stickies and they've told me heaps, definitely enough to get me started. Thanx guys, really appreciated
Good, I'll be eager to see your army list, and maybe some pictures of painted models! :P
Old 23 Aug 2006, 08:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Bow some more you legend you have just made me go ahead with my no doubt soon to be very expensive Droop Troop Guard army. Although i doubt the need to of Sentinels myself liking the mass troops against elite troopers.
Closed Thread