Warhammer 40K Forum

Infantry Platoons
Closed Thread
Old 15 Aug 2006, 10:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aquila_XV8
Default Infantry Platoons

Ok I've got the Imperial Guard Codex and there are 3 questions that stump me:

1, can Infantry Platoons for example, made up of a command squad and 2 infantry squads and a heavy weapons platoon move independently or do all of the units have to stay within coherency, same question for command squads.

2, what is the deal with heavy flamers? In the catchans dex' it says that 2 guardsmen can form a heavy weapons team but the model for the heavy flamer is a single model, not a team like lascannons and heavy bolters?

3, can heavy weapons teams and other units shoot on the turn that they deepstrike(IGDT)??

could some peeps help me out?

P.S 500th post, yay!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Welcome to the Navy, Chevron.

Longest Ever Maiden Chain: 55
Old 15 Aug 2006, 10:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton
Default Re: Infantry Platoons

1. All squads move independently.
2. That would be the same as with all IG HW teams. One carries/fires the weapon, a second carries the ammo and loads. He could simply be represented by a single catachan with some spare prometheum tanks on his back.
3. Deep strike count as having moved. So no heavy weapon action.
Yay! 400th post. ^^
Old 15 Aug 2006, 10:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Chton hit the nail on the noggin' there.

When you deepstrike, all your weapons are in safe little boxes, waiting for you to pull them out and set them up, so it's safe to assume it take a turn for your men to set their weapons up.
Old 15 Aug 2006, 11:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

also you cannot assault on a deep strike turn.

As for heavy weapon teams, It's simple. You dont HAVE to model them on bases like the dex says to do, my heavy weapons are all on individual bases for the ease of removing the loader if need be.
Old 15 Aug 2006, 12:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thats true.

You don't have to represent them both on the same base.. in fact that is a relatively new thing. It started with the new Cadians. In any case, alll you are required to do is to represent a loader and a gunner..

Hail Olianus Pious! Patron Saint of the Imperial Guard! Savior of the Emperor!
Old 15 Aug 2006, 13:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You must kill both the loader and the firer to silence a heavy weapon. I model my loaders by using a backpack.
Old 15 Aug 2006, 13:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

I make my loaders like thispicture).
Never mind the two zealots.
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=23683.0
Old 15 Aug 2006, 18:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

um two questions

1. arent the loaders and firers supposed to be on the smae base?

2. I am going to ask about the zealots MUHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA

"Life liberty and the pursuit of cheese"- Me

All the tau have to worrie about is going off course, not having their souls eaten and their bodies being worn as a tuxedo to a slaughter-party

"And we shall know fear!"-honored battle cry of the SMs also known as Sissy Marines. The chapter was later declared Worthless Extrimis after crying when shot at by Orks in the chapters first engagment. In the AER (After Execution Review) Inquistor Exter said "It was just breaking my heart to see those grown marines cry."

Tau Wins: 2 Draws:0 Losses: 0
SMs Wins: 64 Draw
Old 15 Aug 2006, 18:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Avenger
um two questions

1. arent the loaders and firers supposed to be on the smae base?

2. I am going to ask about the zealots MUHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA
The loaders and firers do not have to be on the same base. In the past, and even with some current metal models, they did not reside on the same base. The thing that makes it a problem to put them on the same base are things like close combat and template weapons. Read the IG FAQ on games workshop site and it describes how that part works. Not to mention, all the people involved in heavy weapons have lasguns and can optionally fire them. You can even have your loader fire his lasgun while your heavy weapons person fires his heavy weapons.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 19:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

nowhere does it state that hvy weapons teams must be on one base. it looks cool, but if you go that route, model the ammo carrier separate so he can be removed as a casualty. i have always assumed (from older editions) that the ammo carrier and the gunner must be next to each other in unit cohesion (i.e. 2 inch) but the ammo guy is basically just an extra wound for the gunner - they used to say that the ammo guy gets up on the gun if the gunner is killed so you can always take him as a casualty instead of the gunner as a 'fill-in' even if he is out of LOS and the gunner isnt

i dunno if this helps but heres a thought:
platoons set up as one unit but each squad functions independantly during the game
the Light Infantry doctrine lets you split your platoons so you dont have to deploy at the same time, say 1 squad Light Inf, 1 command squad, and one regular squad - you would set up the command and the regulars as one unit (not necessarily anywhere near each other - this just has to do with set up order, not positioning), and then the light infantry squad holds out for the infiltrator setup phase

also, heavy weapon squads cannot be attached to infantry platoons, only command HQ (or taken as HEAVY option - which i think is a bad idea because it cuts down on your number of Lemans), and they deploy as separate units - just a clarification
Closed Thread